Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by Dr. Professor »

Is it just me, or is this movie causing a lot more tension here than it should be?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Dr. Professor wrote:Is it just me, or is this movie causing a lot more tension here than it should be?
You're not wrong with there being a lot of tension... then again, it was the same when G14 was coming out, and Shin both before and after it came out (especially after). I mean, I get being upset or defensive over a movie, but not to the point of flame-baiting and ripping into other members for their opinions on it, either good or bad.

So let's just all take a step back, take a chill pill, and try to be understanding of each other's opinions and why they might think the way they do. Nothing good comes from attacking a person because they like what they see or they don't like what they see...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

BlacktimusPrime wrote:
There is a big difference between "nukes are bad" and the radical leftist propaganda any intellectually honest person can see hollywood is regularly puking out and trying to shove down everyone's throats.

If you think the message of Gojira is merely "nukes are bad" and took no political position on the party responsible for using them (hint, hint), you really need to pay more attention. Perhaps that's why you're struggling with these alleged "radical leftist propaganda" issues in the first place: lack of attention paid to the things actually going on in the world you inhabit.

Added in 1 minute 55 seconds:
Godzillian wrote: At least he's more reasonable then someone crying over a CGI dragon design and how it ruined their enjoyment of a movement that's not even out yet ;)
He's actually far less reasonable, but I agree KG's design is fine.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Hahahaha! Radical leftist derp-derp-derp! Make America Grea- sorry, made a mess in my shorts . . . no bother . . . I'll eat it.

Time to duck out a few more months.

Intellectually honest? Crawl back bro.
Last edited by Shin Gabara on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . .

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

BlacktimusPrime wrote: There is a big difference between "nukes are bad" and the radical leftist propaganda any intellectually honest person can see hollywood is regularly puking out and trying to shove down everyone's throats.
Godzilla movies have always been about more than just monster battles. They usually tend to exploit social issues of their given eras in their plots. Denuclearization in '54. Anti-capitalism in the original G vs Mothra. International terrorism in Biollante, the '91 Ghidorah film, and (soon) KOTM. Organized crime in Space Godzilla and the original '64 Ghidorah film. Environmental activism in Hedorah, Gigan and KOTM.

It's a Toho tradition and Hollywood is paying homage to it.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Shin Gabara wrote:Hahahaha! Radical leftist derp-derp-derp! Make America Grea- sorry, made a mess in my shorts . . . no bother . . . I'll eat it.

Time to duck out a few more months.

Intellectually honest? Crawl back bro.
Yeah, get the feeling a lot of people are going to duck out soon if the mods don't take the proper steps to neutralize this obvious alt-right/alt-light brigading that's recently started. Gotta be proactive and stop that shit on sight; they destroy everything they touch.

inb4 "triggered snowflakes want to stop my freedom of speech on TK lel"

Added in 3 minutes 13 seconds:
Thunderbird wrote:
BlacktimusPrime wrote: There is a big difference between "nukes are bad" and the radical leftist propaganda any intellectually honest person can see hollywood is regularly puking out and trying to shove down everyone's throats.
Godzilla movies have always been about more than just monster battles. They usually tend to exploit social issues of their given eras in their plots. Denuclearization in '54. Anti-capitalism in the original G vs Mothra. International terrorism in Biollante, the '91 Ghidorah film, and (soon) KOTM. Organized crime in Space Godzilla and the original '64 Ghidorah film. Environmental activism in Hedorah, Gigan and KOTM.

It's a Toho tradition and Hollywood is paying homage to it.
Guarantee ya this guy doesn't care about Godzilla one bit. This is typical infiltration tactics by these folks.

It goes like this: "LefTIST PROPAGANDA IS INFESTING GODZILLA NOW?!? SOUND THE PHONY OUTRAGE MACHINE! Btw ever been to Daily Stormer? WE ARE NOT PC LIKE COMMIE HOLLYWOOD GODZILLA. Promise you'll like it. :) :)"
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Well, after seeing the trailer for it, I'm not too worried about. Unless the trailer turns out to be very misleading and the film isn't good or doesn't live up to the hype.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Lmao this discussion reminds me of this evergreen post that came from a G14 thread...
Since the 60s, America has fallen away from Christianity, & we have paid the price. America has been lessened, esp by every Democrat( ie Liberal )President & Politician to come since. Texas, the South, & the rest of the Heartland, have fought the Powers-That-Be in DC, & a reckoning is coming. Either the Conservatives will re-unite the US, or, we will LEAVE it. A unification between Texas & Germany is likely, as TX is the business powerhouse in the US, & Germany is the powerhouse behind the EU. Make of that what you will...

It doesn't hurt that the LARGEST ethnic group in TX, is Germanic...
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Lmao this discussion reminds me of this evergreen post that came from a G14 thread...
Since the 60s, America has fallen away from Christianity, & we have paid the price. America has been lessened, esp by every Democrat( ie Liberal )President & Politician to come since. Texas, the South, & the rest of the Heartland, have fought the Powers-That-Be in DC, & a reckoning is coming. Either the Conservatives will re-unite the US, or, we will LEAVE it. A unification between Texas & Germany is likely, as TX is the business powerhouse in the US, & Germany is the powerhouse behind the EU. Make of that what you will...

Lmao I used to have "A unification between Texas & Germany is likely" in my sig.

Did you see the guy a couple weeks ago rambling on about how Godzilla has been taken over by "the SJWs" because Millie Bobbie Brown is female? He was pretty triggered about it. I guess the mere sight of a non-male in a fucking sci-fi movie is all part of the Marxist conspiracy to enslave us through pop culture.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

All I want are cameos of Akira Takarada and the monsters sharing enough screen time.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Lmao this discussion reminds me of this evergreen post that came from a G14 thread...

This is fucking hilarious. What was the context?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Dr. Professor wrote:

This is skreeonking hilarious. What was the context?
I forget exactly but it wasn't on-topic. For all these people's hatred of politics in muh monster movies they sure love to talk politics/conspiracy theories when nobody asked them to.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
This is skreeonking hilarious. What was the context?
I forget exactly but it wasn't on-topic. For all these people's hatred of politics in muh monster movies they sure love to talk politics/conspiracy theories when nobody asked them to.
That's like how my dad claims to hate SNL because it's "too political" meanwhile every other sentence that comes out of his mouth is political.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

LOVING this thread right now!! LMAO
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Dr. Professor wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: This is skreeonking hilarious. What was the context?
That's like how my dad claims to hate SNL because it's "too political" meanwhile every other sentence that comes out of his mouth is political.
Oh, of course. Cuz what "it's too political" really means, usually, is "it doesn't cater to my fringe views".

"PLEASE tell me there's not gonna be any images from space in this film. Spherical earth is SUCH a divisive issue. I don't need Hollywood libs shoving their little 'theories' about the earth not being flat down my throat, not when I'm just trying to mindlessly chow down artificially-sweetened foodstuffs and see things blow up!"
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:I don't want it to be an in your face advertisement for climate change. It's such a divisive issue, and I'd rather not have an agenda shoved down my throat while I'm trying to enjoy my monster movie.
"I don't want it to be an in your face advertisement for denuclearization. It's such a divisive issue, and I'd rather not have an agenda shoved down my throat while I'm trying to enjoy my monster movie."

-Folks like this 60 years ago

Godzilla has never been apolitical. If you're the kinda person who feels like "SJWs" have ruined the world the second a film features a political message other than the usual reactionary action flick stuff, then Godzilla really isn't for you, and never was.
There is a point to be made about not ham-fisting the message, though. Compare Mothra vs Godzilla to something like Heisei Mothra.

Western media at large generally suffers from a lack of nuance when making their points, even apolitical ones. I’m absolutely concerned about how this message will be delivered.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^As someone whose home has been engulfed in wildfire smoke for the past week, I’m not super concerned with this film raising the climate change issue. I do think there’s a way to do it elegantly though, and not super expositiony. But that’s really more of a filmmaking question.

My big concern is that these mysterious ‘additional’ kaiju will just make the movie too bloated a la Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man 3. But we’ll see, they could just be a cool opening credits action sequence or something.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

KaijuCanuck wrote:^As someone whose home has been engulfed in wildfire smoke for the past week, I’m not super concerned with this film raising the climate change issue. I do think there’s a way to do it elegantly though, and not super expositiony. But that’s really more of a filmmaking question.

My big concern is that these mysterious ‘additional’ kaiju will just make the movie too bloated a la Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man 3. But we’ll see, they could just be a cool opening credits action sequence or something.
You live in British Columbia too?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LegendZilla wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:^As someone whose home has been engulfed in wildfire smoke for the past week, I’m not super concerned with this film raising the climate change issue. I do think there’s a way to do it elegantly though, and not super expositiony. But that’s really more of a filmmaking question.

You live in British Columbia too?
I live in Edmonton but the smoke is here. Thankfully the fires are not. Hope you and and everyone over there is safe.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

I loved how Godzilla 2014 was shot. It made you feel like you were looking at huge beasts from a human or eyelevel POV (through a window, a cockpit) etc 90% of the time. This gives you a great sense of scale and even though the movie cut away too much there was some added suspense because of this.

Also Godzilla 2014 was a lot more dark and gritty than this is looking. I’m basically worried this film will look a lot more “fantastical” than the 2014 film and that they are barely connected visually and in tone. So to me it might not really feel like it’s in the same world.

Obviously if it’s a good film it doesn’t really matter but It was my main worry when Gareth left.
Last edited by Troyal1 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.