Godzilla: King of the Monsters PHOTO THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters PHOTO THREAD

Post by GFAN198423 »

Added in 4 days 7 hours 54 minutes 29 seconds:
Full, clear version of the image used at the convention a few months back.

Added in 14 hours 13 minutes 5 seconds:
Semi HD copies of these stills.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

That underwater shot is amazing! Thanks for linking it.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Hell even the elevator shot looks cool.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Behind the scenes of the promo art.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/7532065 ... Con-Brazil

Same person rendered the Total Film cover art.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/7728397 ... zine-cover

Added in 10 minutes 58 seconds:
Textless Art

Steel Hellkite
Samurai

Post by Steel Hellkite »

Oh, sweet Emporer of Man I want so many of these pics as posters. Especially the total film cover. And Ghidorah and Goji squaring off in the city.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

If nothing else, the MonsterVerse has provided Kong and Godzilla fans with some of the most beautiful imagery you could ask for as fans of these creatures. Even if some of the plot or characters may lack, they really know how to present these monsters to make them look amazing.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^Those pics you added are amazing!

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Is this the early version of the Galactic Empire? Leader in black with stormtroopers?
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Not even close.

This place and YouTube seems to have the furthest understanding of the term “4K”.
Facts don't care about your feelings

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

I know they're in jpeg not png so highly compressed, but the resolution is 4k tho.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

4K isn’t just dimensions though, it’s a quality, those images have degradation you get up scaling smaller photos, if they were true high res they’d look sharper.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ultrazilla wrote:I know they're in jpeg not png so highly compressed, but the resolution is 4k tho.
That's...that's not what 4K means...

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Even higher res.

Added in 7 minutes 51 seconds:
GFAN198423 wrote:4K isn’t just dimensions though, it’s a quality, those images have degradation you get up scaling smaller photos, if they were true high res they’d look sharper.
UltramanGoji wrote:
ultrazilla wrote:I know they're in jpeg not png so highly compressed, but the resolution is 4k tho.
That's...that's not what 4K means...
They're likely upscaled from a smaller image through Photoshop and not natively rendered or captured thus explaining the small file size, a full blown 4k png capture would be around 10-15mb. That is if we're not talking about downsampled shots from 8k or 16k source files which would increase the file size even further. So what's the big deal? No need to get all fussy about it.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

The big deal is that those of us interested in photos from this movie, or any movie, do have an interest in image quality and size and it can be frustrating when someone leads you to think you've stumbled on something you've been after and that's not really the case. I love both cover images to the Total Film issue and would love really high resolution copies of the raw art without the text, and so far, there's been only decent quality but nothing too significant. If I see a link that says 4K resolution, I'm expecting large pixel dimension and sharp detail, when I click on it and see what amounts to some taking the lower resolution image I've already found and just drops it in Photoshop and blows up the dimensions, it's disappointing. It's just a courtesy, if you share something, be clear about what it is. I don't promote images as HD or 1080p or high res unless I know for certain they truly are, and I usually even note if it's a YouTube 1080p or a true high res source.

Your entry is a perfect example, that's a genuine higher res version of the Empire photo and properly represented when you shared it.

Added in 2 minutes 34 seconds:
Here's another Empire image, not the best quality but the best so far to be found.

Regarding image quality though, I have noticed a number of the press stills for this movie so far have had a sort of grainy quality to them and haven't looked as clean/crisp as shots from 2014. I don't mind and the movie looks stellar in video, just something I've noticed, first with the Ghidorah in front of the plane with lighting photo, then the Godzilla in Boston with lightning behind him and now the Rodan shot. Wonder if the movie was given a grainy quality to make it feel older.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

OK I'll be more careful next time with the naming, don't mean to deceive or anything. It's easy to get fooled sometimes without having a closer look tho.
G14 also had its own fair share of noisy and worn marketing shots such as this. Or maybe it's been tempered with?
Last edited by ultrazilla on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

The sharing is appreciated, and it's why I started this thread, because a lot of us love the photos from these movies and my collection of photos I have saved is sourced from anywhere and everywhere.

I hope that my responses are not coming off the wrong way, I'm not upset or trying to make you feel bad, just clarifying what HD/High Res/4K means when people see it and what sort of image quality lives up to that description.

This is an example of something I'd expect clicking a link that says HD/4K.

https://i.imgur.com/VMz21WC.jpg

Added in 3 minutes 7 seconds:
ultrazilla wrote:G14 also had its own fair share of noisy and worn marketing shots such as this. Or maybe it's been tempered with?
https://abload.de/img/godzilla-2014-movie-sklj58.jpg
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that one, that one always bothered me, wished there'd been a cleaner copy, so maybe there's just something about how these images are generated that creates the grainy quality, because I have a 1080p Blu Ray still of almost that exact shot and it looks much cleaner. Now that you mention this one, it does remind me of another, the shot of Godzilla about to submerge into the ocean at the very end when he's seen from the side at a dock, that one's pretty grainy too compared to the film.

Like I said, it doesn't necessarily bother me, just surprises me how many shot so far have had it. The movie itself looks visually stunning though, the use of colors and lighting are just so well executed.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Yeah all good, just like you I got tons of Godzilla photos in my folder too, I pretty much scour the darkest corner of the net for any signs of high quality shots :).
Agreed that the visual art and cinematography in this movie are amazing, the use of color scheme really adds more dynamic, power and vigour to the titans portrayed here.