TITANS or MUTOS ??

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

TITANS or MUTOS ??

Post by Cookson »

So it looks like they may have switched names from MUTO to TITAN. Your thoughts?

Honestly thought "MUTO" was a very unique term and would have loved for them to continue it. Though, maybe a sentence from Vera's character like "We once called them MUTOs, but now they're all identified and are called TITANS.".. or something like that would be satisfying enough as the old term wouldn't necessarily be forgotten but we're moving on from it.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Re: TITANS or MUTOS ??

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

M.U.T.O was the scientific and military codename for the monsters when they were trying to cover everything up and I guess Titans was the name that the general public also came up with after everything cames. Out universe wise I see as a way to separate the other monsters from the previous Mutos. Overall as an AOT fan I felt they could have picked a better name but I understand the reasons because it matches. In Greek mythology Titans were giants that fathered Gods and likewise here Godzilla and company were giants that inspired myths and were worshiped as gods.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:M.U.T.O was the scientific and military codename for the monsters when they were trying to cover everything up and I guess Titans was the name that the general public also came up with after everything cames. Out universe wise I see as a way to separate the other monsters from the previous Mutos. Overall as an AOT fan I felt they could have picked a better name but I understand the reasons because it matches. In Greek mythology Titans were giants that fathered Gods and likewise here Godzilla and company were giants that inspired myths and were worshiped as gods.
Exactly. Thats why Titans works. It wouldn't make sense for a western population to start calling giant monsters kaiju, especially in a world without Godzilla movies.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I find "Titans" a lot less creative but it's whatever.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Pretty much what's been said: M.U.T.O is a military codename. Titans has Greek mythological connections, so for civilians or scientists it makes more sense.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm fine with them moving to call the kaiju Titans since the MUTO never got a name and are just called that throughout the film as opposed to Godzilla being called his name during the film

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Has anyone actually used the expression outside of that dialogue from the trailer?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

As much as I like the term MUTO, it would have been confusing to the GA as to why they are calling Godzilla and crew the "name" of the unnamed parasites in the 2014 film. Speaking of, I hope they do get names eventually, otherwise it's be like Tekken having that female fighter named Unknown or Pokemon having the Unkowns, the term becoming their "name" after several entries is pretty dumb.

Although it does make more sense with the parasites as it really is not known what they hell they are.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ivo-goji wrote:Has anyone actually used the expression outside of that dialogue from the trailer?
It’s being used on the viral marketing site monarchsciences.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's genuinely too late, in my opinion, to retroactively rename the MUTO's. But it's always been too awkward to call Godzilla a "M.U.T.O" in the military term. I honestly think "Titan" is going to be a self-contained thing in the confines of King of the Monsters.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maritonic wrote:It's genuinely too late, in my opinion, to retroactively rename the MUTO's. But it's always been too awkward to call Godzilla a "M.U.T.O" in the military term. I honestly think "Titan" is going to be a self-contained thing in the confines of King of the Monsters.
Not necessarily, could be a throwaway line or a bonus on the site that finally gives them a name.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Living Corpse wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It's genuinely too late, in my opinion, to retroactively rename the MUTO's. But it's always been too awkward to call Godzilla a "M.U.T.O" in the military term. I honestly think "Titan" is going to be a self-contained thing in the confines of King of the Monsters.
Not necessarily, could be a throwaway line or a bonus on the site that finally gives them a name.
They've been called the MUTOs for 4 years, 5 by the time King of the Monsters comes out. In my opinion, absolutely too late.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Could it be that "Titans" is a general term for all monsters and "M.U.T.O." applies to just the 2014 adversaries. Like they are Titans, just like Godzilla, but they're officially classified as M.U.T.O.s.

I mean, no matter what for KWC purposes they're staying M.U.T.O.s. Like Godzilla Legendary, it may be wrong but it sounds WAY cooler :P
Last edited by Greyshot151 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

I actually believe that the appointment to the Titans will be by some kind of fanatical religious group that worships the MUTOs as gods.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Muto is a terrible name anyway and I'm glad that it now only refers to the two throwaway monsters from the 2014 movie.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Greyshot151 wrote:Could it be that "Titans" is a general term for all monsters and "M.U.T.O." applies to just the 2014 adversaries. Like they are Titans, just like Godzilla, but they're officially classified as M.U.T.O.s.
Skull Island kinda throws a wrench in this with Randa stating that Monarch specifically studies "M.U.T.O."s
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

M.U.T.O = Military Classification.
Titan = Religious/Spiritual classification.

Which is why Randa calls them that, and we only see them named that by the Military and scientists in 2014.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

The key is in the name: Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism. Seems that the monsters in KoTM have been very much identified.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Smuggers wrote:The key is in the name: Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism. Seems that the monsters in KoTM have been very much identified.
Also a valid point.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GalacticPetey wrote:
Greyshot151 wrote:Could it be that "Titans" is a general term for all monsters and "M.U.T.O." applies to just the 2014 adversaries. Like they are Titans, just like Godzilla, but they're officially classified as M.U.T.O.s.
Skull Island kinda throws a wrench in this with Randa stating that Monarch specifically studies "M.U.T.O."s
I think MUTO originally referred to all the monsters, but will now only refer to those two kaiju. Which is a shame, I was really hoping to get a proper name for them.