What could have been (Gareth Edwards) VS. what is (Michael Dougherty)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Re: What could have been (Gareth Edwards) VS. what is (Michael Dougherty)

Post by zilla92 »

For what it is worth, my opinion is just this. They’re both different style directors. I for one loved G14. Yes I got annoyed with the cutaways and ATJ was stiff as a board but I believe it was intended that way. He was a soldier, first and foremost. Did the movie itself have flaws? Of course. But don’t most films? But since they decided Goji was the “good guy superhero” Showa era version of sorts, and that’s how G14 played out, I can’t help but feel confident that Dougherty is the right man for the job. Not only a fan of Goji but also of sci-fi horror and someone who seems to get it. As much as Gareth is a fan of Godzilla, Dougherty strikes me as a die hard like a lot of us. He understand the lore and he’s proven to me thus far with previous efforts that he gets the best out of his cast and knows how to make a good movie. That’s my opinion anyway. So it’s not a matter of Edwards Vs. Dougherty, since they’re just two different style directors with one being a true fanboy. I say sit back and enjoy what we’ve gotten already and what is to come. It’s a wonderful time for Kaiju fans. Let’s embrace it. Again just my opinion.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

That and, I thought this thread was also about discussing the possibilities of what Edwards' Godzilla 2 would've turned out given what little information we had.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

zilla92 wrote:For what it is worth, my opinion is just this. They’re both different style directors. I for one loved G14. Yes I got annoyed with the cutaways and ATJ was stiff as a board but I believe it was intended that way. He was a soldier, first and foremost. Did the movie itself have flaws? Of course. But don’t most films? But since they decided Goji was the “good guy superhero” Showa era version of sorts, and that’s how G14 played out, I can’t help but feel confident that Dougherty is the right man for the job. Not only a fan of Goji but also of sci-fi horror and someone who seems to get it. As much as Gareth is a fan of Godzilla, Dougherty strikes me as a die hard like a lot of us. He understand the lore and he’s proven to me thus far with previous efforts that he gets the best out of his cast and knows how to make a good movie. That’s my opinion anyway. So it’s not a matter of Edwards Vs. Dougherty, since they’re just two different style directors with one being a true fanboy. I say sit back and enjoy what we’ve gotten already and what is to come. It’s a wonderful time for Kaiju fans. Let’s embrace it. Again just my opinion.
Very well said, mate. I absolutely agree with all of this. Gareth Edwards really tried to tell a character drama that happened to have giant monsters in it. Whereas Dougherty went into KotM with Godzilla and co. in mind first, and is trying to sell a genuine monster flick with a potentially good story to back it. Both directors are fans of the franchise, but Dougherty just seems to be a massive fan of ALL of Godzilla’s history, and not just specific bits. Him correcting the IGN interviewer about the right name for Ghidorah’s gravity beams just further cemented the fact in my mind, that he’s the right man for the job. Both Dougherty and O-Shea just seem like huge Godzilla fanboys that are involved in a multi million dollar Godzilla film, and that’s awesome to me.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

LegendaryGoji wrote:I'm not gonna act like Ford was the most compelling character or anything, but he was a soldier. Behavior like his in the military isn't actually uncommon.
Has any of y'all seen Saving Private Ryan? Black Hawk Down? Platoon? Das boot? All of those were hardcore war movies featuring soldiers going through some of the toughest shit ever, but they managed to have characters that didn't possess the emotional range of oatmeal.

The Hurt Locker was literally focused around EOD, and the main character didn't act like he was freebasing Lunesta.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
LegendaryGoji wrote:I'm not gonna act like Ford was the most compelling character or anything, but he was a soldier. Behavior like his in the military isn't actually uncommon.
Has any of y'all seen Saving Private Ryan? Black Hawk Down? Platoon? Das boot? All of those were hardcore war movies featuring soldiers going through some of the toughest poop ever, but they managed to have characters that didn't possess the emotional range of oatmeal.

The Hurt Locker was literally focused around EOD, and the main character didn't act like he was freebasing Lunesta.
Good lord some of you get so personal with this...

Besides I’d rather have a character like Ford than someone who is crying or freaking out all the time.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Re: What could have been (Gareth Edwards) VS. what is (Michael )

Post by GojiDude95 »

You like cardboard? Jokes aside I 100% agree with zilla92 here. I never knew Dougherty corrected a interviewer on Ghidorah's gravity bolts. That's so cool to hear. Also with O-Shea. He wanted Gigan to appear in the monsterverse! I loved his portrayal of his father in in NWA and I am sure to love him more in KoTM. No Homo ;)
Last edited by GojiDude95 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

zilla92 wrote:For what it is worth, my opinion is just this. They’re both different style directors. I for one loved G14. Yes I got annoyed with the cutaways and ATJ was stiff as a board but I believe it was intended that way. He was a soldier, first and foremost. Did the movie itself have flaws? Of course. But don’t most films? But since they decided Goji was the “good guy superhero” Showa era version of sorts, and that’s how G14 played out, I can’t help but feel confident that Dougherty is the right man for the job. Not only a fan of Goji but also of sci-fi horror and someone who seems to get it. As much as Gareth is a fan of Godzilla, Dougherty strikes me as a die hard like a lot of us. He understand the lore and he’s proven to me thus far with previous efforts that he gets the best out of his cast and knows how to make a good movie. That’s my opinion anyway. So it’s not a matter of Edwards Vs. Dougherty, since they’re just two different style directors with one being a true fanboy. I say sit back and enjoy what we’ve gotten already and what is to come. It’s a wonderful time for Kaiju fans. Let’s embrace it. Again just my opinion.
I want to high five you. Brilliantly said.

We all have different tastes and there’s nothing wrong with either. I’m really just here for the ride at this point. If the movie sucks, it sucks, If not then GREAT!. I think there’s a magic to having fun speculating with fans all year long anyway.

I found Jurassic world FK to be hugely disappointing but I do not regret my time in the JP community one bit.

It’s the little things that make it special imo. :)
Last edited by Troyal1 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Short and simple, I'd much rather have a cast of interesting, if slightly exaggerated characters than ones who have no personality whatsoever. If your soldier character must be an emotionless cutout, perhaps he's not the lead we should be following.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I'm still laughing at the idea there's people who actually thinks Ford is human despite the empty husk of a shell he truly was. :lol:
Just as funny as you thinking Serizawa was anything but a “husk” too
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If Gareth Edwards directed it, we’d get a movie that is just 8 hours of Godzilla sleeping over a deposit of Uranium while a team of scientists try to find a way to access it without waking him up.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote:If Gareth Edwards directed it, we’d get a movie that is just 8 hours of Godzilla sleeping over a deposit of Uranium while a team of scientists try to find a way to access it without waking him up.
The fuck am I reading. :|
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:If Gareth Edwards directed it, we’d get a movie that is just 8 hours of Godzilla sleeping over a deposit of Uranium while a team of scientists try to find a way to access it without waking him up.
The skreeonk am I reading. :|
Even if that was the case, would it really be that surprising? That is judging by how he handled the first film.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
The skreeonk am I reading. :|
Even if that was the case, would it really be that surprising? That is judging by how he handled the first film.
... Yeah? It would be very surprising. Last I checked, Godzilla 2014 wasn't an eight hour long movie about people trying to avoid waking up a sleeping monster.

Honestly, why does the man get so much hate for trying to make one movie with a specific decision in mind to emulate classic Spielberg?
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Look who it’s coming from though, js.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: The skreeonk am I reading. :|
... Yeah? It would be very surprising. Last I checked, Godzilla 2014 wasn't an eight hour long movie about people trying to avoid waking up a sleeping monster.

Honestly, why does the man get so much hate for trying to make one movie with a specific decision in mind to emulate classic Spielberg?
Because Edwards is no Spielberg and lacks his talent of directing actors. Believe me when before G14 came out I was hoping for a character driven film with a strong emotional core and G14 isn't that movie. It largely failed at almost everything it was apparently trying to accomplish. Everyone in their brother attached to the film constantly comparing it to 1954 did it absolutely no favors either. I have nothing against G14 in theory, hell in theory it could have been an amazing film, but as far as I'm concerned it almost completely fails in its execution.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

Because Edwards is no Spielberg and lacks his talent of directing actors. Believe me when before G14 came out I was hoping for a character driven film with a strong emotional core and G14 isn't that movie. It largely failed at almost everything it was apparently trying to accomplish. Everyone in their brother attached to the film constantly comparing it to 1954 did it absolutely no favors either. I have nothing against G14 in theory, hell in theory it could have been an amazing film, but as far as I'm concerned it almost completely fails in its execution.
Alright. And why does that earn the man such hatred? I've only seen people like George Lucas treated like this (which is another can of worms in itself.)

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Alright. And why does that earn the man such hatred? I've only seen people like George Lucas treated like this (which is another can of worms in itself.)
Because the “cool” thing to do on the internet these days is trash movies for no reason rather than actually give it a fair critique or just enjoy it for pure entertainment. Everyone with a keyboard thinks they can make the perfect movie. I don’t think people online are capable of just enjoying movies without having to be a “critic”

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

In my view Gareth had a simple task in delivering a grounded modern take of Godzilla. With numerous resource material, the big budget access and modern technology to back him he could not have failed in delivering a decent Godzilla movie. But there was something very fundamental missing in his delivery and I feel Dougherty will cement those pot holes and better flesh it out in this new entry. In other words Dougherty will complement the work of his predecessor.

Added in 30 seconds:
In my view Gareth had a simple task in delivering a grounded modern take of Godzilla. With numerous resource material, the big budget access and modern technology to back him he could not have failed in delivering a decent Godzilla movie. But there was something very fundamental missing in his delivery and I feel Dougherty will cement those pot holes and better flesh it out in this new entry. In other words Dougherty will complement the work of his predecessor.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

tenup wrote:In other words Dougherty will complement the work of his predecessor.
This is actually a really good way to put it. It's not that one did shiit and the other will do amazing, or any of that. I agree with this assessment completely; Dougherty will be able to take Edwards version and elevate it to something more, allowing it to see it's full potential.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Aaron Taylor Johnson sure beat the hell out of Tom Hiddleston as far as Monsterverse acting is concerned. Gareth was fine.