The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by shadowgigan »

Meh, I'd rather Godzilla stay niche than be touched by Disney. Tbh, I think Godzilla might be a franchise that is better off as something niche than trying to become the next Avengers or whatever.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by dillonking55 »

Gothicserpent wrote:I think It will top off around 380m
Nah. It'll hit $400+ Mil. I can't see it doing worse than Alita: Battle Angel's run
Last edited by dillonking55 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah but there`s all these proud warriors that are staunchy against Disney for some moral reasons.

If there was some Disney film I had an interest in seeing I`d gladly go see it.
Me too, I used to love Disney movies. Sadly there hasn't been much from Disney lately that I want to see as I'm not interested in live action remakes of animated classics, and sadly that seems like ALL they're doing outside a few animated sequels like Wreck It Ralph I'm also not interested in. I have my fingers crossed that once they've remade every single one of their classic films into live action, seeing as how that's their obvious agenda for the near future, they'll finally move on to something else and be a worthwhile studio again for me. But I'm afraid they'll just make sequels to their most successful live action remakes after that.

Any clue when they might do something actually new/original again? 2030? 2035?

Added in 7 minutes 16 seconds:
shadowgigan wrote:Meh, I'd rather Godzilla stay niche than be touched by Disney. Tbh, I think Godzilla might be a franchise that is better off as something niche than trying to become the next Avengers or whatever.
I disagree. There is no advantage, not a single pro or good thing I can think of, about a franchise remaining niche. What does anything being niche add to the quality of a thing? Going mainstream is always the best, more money, more quality, more exposure, more merchandise, and contrary to popular opinion rarely does going mainstream mean a franchise having to lose its soul or stop experimenting. I literally can't think of a downside to Godzilla being more popular.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Vakanai wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah but there`s all these proud warriors that are staunchy against Disney for some moral reasons.

Me too, I used to love Disney movies. Sadly there hasn't been much from Disney lately that I want to see as I'm not interested in live action remakes of animated classics, and sadly that seems like ALL they're doing outside a few animated sequels like Wreck It Ralph I'm also not interested in. I have my fingers crossed that once they've remade every single one of their classic films into live action, seeing as how that's their obvious agenda for the near future, they'll finally move on to something else and be a worthwhile studio again for me. But I'm afraid they'll just make sequels to their most successful live action remakes after that.

Yeah I kinda agree on this. If Disney actually produced stuff that interested me, maybe I wouldn't dislike it as much. These soulless cash grab remakes are really souring Disney for me nowadays and the less said about Disney+, Disney Channel and other stuff the better. I actually really miss the Mouse. Mickey himself hasn't been relevant in Disney for so long. I miss the old cartoons and occasional Mickey movies. Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse were top notch.

Also Godzilla being mainstream would be nice and all, but I don't think it's worth selling out to Disney. Knowing them, they'd probably buy Godzilla off Toho entirely and use the character as their own. Whereas with the Monsterverse, hopefully even if the license is extended (I hope it doesn't end after GvK, 4 movies is hardly a cinematic universe rather than a series like PotC) Toho can also do stuff like Shin Godzilla on the sidelines, maybe even taking the license away and giving it back later occasionally. Disney on the other hand, would monopolize it as yet another one of their own assets.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Yeah I kinda agree on this. If Disney actually produced stuff that interested me, maybe I wouldn't dislike it as much. These soulless cash grab remakes are really souring Disney for me nowadays and the less said about Disney+, Disney Channel and other stuff the better. I actually really miss the Mouse. Mickey himself hasn't been relevant in Disney for so long. I miss the old cartoons and occasional Mickey movies. Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse were top notch.

Also Godzilla being mainstream would be nice and all, but I don't think it's worth selling out to Disney. Knowing them, they'd probably buy Godzilla off Toho entirely and use the character as their own. Whereas with the Monsterverse, hopefully even if the license is extended (I hope it doesn't end after GvK, 4 movies is hardly a cinematic universe rather than a series like PotC) Toho can also do stuff like Shin Godzilla on the sidelines, maybe even taking the license away and giving it back later occasionally. Disney on the other hand, would monopolize it as yet another one of their own assets.
There's some new Mickey Mouse shorts I've seen on DisneyXD that were alright. Don't know if you've seen that or not.

Also meant for the much, much younger crowd, but there's like two other Micky cartoons on Disney Jr. So at least the younger generation is starting to get exposed to the character again.

As for Godzilla going mainstream, I agree it shouldn't fall into the current monopoly of Disney, just saying mainstream appeal would be great for the franchise. But Disney shouldn't be the ones to make it mainstream.
Maybe Legendary can pull off a miracle with GvK and any possible future installments afterwards.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

So according to Gitesh Pandya the Box Office Guru founder, he movie is en route to reach 400m at the end of its run.
https://lrmonline.com/news/godzilla-kin ... worldwide/
Although he assumed the budget was 200m instead of 170m. So yeah not a disaster at all just under performed, I think the Monsterverse will live on.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Me too, I used to love Disney movies. Sadly there hasn't been much from Disney lately that I want to see as I'm not interested in live action remakes of animated classics, and sadly that seems like ALL they're doing outside a few animated sequels like Wreck It Ralph I'm also not interested in. I have my fingers crossed that once they've remade every single one of their classic films into live action, seeing as how that's their obvious agenda for the near future, they'll finally move on to something else and be a worthwhile studio again for me. But I'm afraid they'll just make sequels to their most successful live action remakes after that.

There's some new Mickey Mouse shorts I've seen on DisneyXD that were alright. Don't know if you've seen that or not.

Also meant for the much, much younger crowd, but there's like two other Micky cartoons on Disney Jr. So at least the younger generation is starting to get exposed to the character again.

As for Godzilla going mainstream, I agree it shouldn't fall into the current monopoly of Disney, just saying mainstream appeal would be great for the franchise. But Disney shouldn't be the ones to make it mainstream.
Maybe Legendary can pull off a miracle with GvK and any possible future installments afterwards.

I just wish that GvK can save the franchise. If the Godzillaverse ends with that movie, then it's going to take another 10 years before the Godzilla franchise has a chance to be mainstream again. Godzilla himself is mainstream, but with a few exceptions (Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, and Kong who's the exception that proves the rule) most of the other monsters are not.

This movie underperforming when it was supposed to be THE movie that made the franchise mainstream is a huge blow.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Yeah I kinda agree on this. If Disney actually produced stuff that interested me, maybe I wouldn't dislike it as much. These soulless cash grab remakes are really souring Disney for me nowadays and the less said about Disney+, Disney Channel and other stuff the better. I actually really miss the Mouse. Mickey himself hasn't been relevant in Disney for so long. I miss the old cartoons and occasional Mickey movies. Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse were top notch.

I just wish that GvK can save the franchise. If the Godzillaverse ends with that movie, then it's going to take another 10 years before the Godzilla franchise has a chance to be mainstream again. Godzilla himself is mainstream, but with a few exceptions (Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, and Kong who's the exception that proves the rule) most of the other monsters are not.

This movie underperforming when it was supposed to be THE movie that made the franchise mainstream is a huge blow.
As popular as Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla are among us, they aren't mainstream. Most of the general audience probably couldn't name them and if asked would probably come up with, "That big moth one" or "That three headed dragon one", which isn't really mainstream. They're recognizable, but that makes them like mainstream adjacent at best. Only Godzilla and Kong are truly mainstream.

Added in 3 minutes 38 seconds:
Agreed about wanting GvK to save the franchise so it'll continue on and the BO for KOTM being a blow.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Well, apparently Disney is double dipping and re-releasing Endgame next week with an added end credits scene.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers ... ge-a169025

Probably wipes out a few more audience members on the fence with nothing better to do who were thinking about seeing Godzilla next weekend...

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

JesstrK wrote:Well, apparently Disney is double dipping and re-releasing Endgame next week with an added end credits scene.

Probably wipes out a few more audience members on the fence with nothing better to do who were thinking about seeing Godzilla next weekend...
I thought they were releasing it next year?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

MikeSTZillak wrote: I thought they were releasing it next year?
The article I read says next weekend.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Welp, that's it man, game over man, game over. The slow and steady BO train stops right here. There's no way any normal moviegoer would even think about watching a full Godzilla movie that's actually good over watching all of Endgame yet again for a few deleted scenes and a post credits scene. So much for beating Zilla. Long Live The False Kings, Disney and Marvel.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

JesstrK wrote:Well, apparently Disney is double dipping and re-releasing Endgame next week with an added end credits scene.

This in a nutshell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

GojiDog wrote:

This in a nutshell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8
I can only hope that there's enough people with working brains out there to at least help KOTM crawl up to 381M.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GuardianGhido wrote: I can only hope that there's enough people with working brains out there to at least help KOTM crawl up to 381M.
Insinuating that people are stupid usually isn't the best way to get them on your side. :lol:
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

How dare people not spend money on my summer blockbuster!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Smuggers wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: I can only hope that there's enough people with working brains out there to at least help KOTM crawl up to 381M.
Insinuating that people are stupid usually isn't the best way to get them on your side. :lol:
What's the point, they'll never get on our side anyway.

Y'know what, I'm pretty much done with this thread. Simply thinking about KOTM's box office situation is making me more angry, bitter and depressed. All my posts from now are gonna be nothing but salt considering what's going on so it's best if I stop posting. Unless G KOTM still beats Zilla, there's no reason for me to be here. Toodles!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GuardianGhido wrote: What's the point, they'll never get on our side anyway.
It shouldn't be about being on a side. People should just watch the movies they wanna watch. We shouldn't reduce something like this to an "us vs them" mentality, even if you're salty about the disappointing returns.

And it's good that you're getting that off your mind as it was definitely coming off in your posts. I think some people get a bit too emotionally invested in a movie's box office.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

neo kaijubait
Samurai

Post by neo kaijubait »

They REALLY want to beat Avatar, don't they?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Smuggers wrote: And it's good that you're getting that off your mind as it was definitely coming off in your posts. I think some people get a bit too emotionally invested in a movie's box office.
I thought he was joking. At least i had hoped he was...
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.