The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by vibramrunner »

Consider that Kong:SI made almost 400 million international. If KOTM does that, considering back-of-napkin math suggests half of international earnings amount to studio profit (although that's not taking into account Wanda, which helps Legendary), KOTM could make its budget back through international alone. Only reason Kong didn't, as I recall, is due the frantic last-minute marketing campaign when it looked like the movie might bomb.

KOTM is definitely making a profit, IMO, it's just a question of how much.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri May 24, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Gothicserpent »

Aladdin is looking to make $100 mil this weekend.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't know where you got that statistic but
"Tracking is between $73M-$85M on Aladdin over the Friday-through-Monday stretch of Memorial Day weekend. Critics are split about the live-action reboot of the 1992 Disney classic at 57% fresh. We’ll see whether the die-hard Aladdin fans dominate or remain divided as the weekend continues."
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Gothicserpent wrote:Aladdin is looking to make $100 mil this weekend.
What? If it made 8 million on Thursday then I would totally agree, but it didn’t. So, not sure where you’re getting that from. Either you based that on a unreliable source or you are forcing a doom and gloom scenario for your own thrill for some odd reason.

Added in 8 minutes 27 seconds:
Realized it comes from Variety and Deadline I believe. They do get things pretty off honestly. Presale tickets aren’t really indicating 100 million OW
Long Live The King

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

If this somehow bombs I'm going to be severely, severely disappointed
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

G2000 wrote:If this somehow bombs I'm going to be severely, severely disappointed
IT’S. NOT. GOING. TO. BOMB.
Based on actual pre-sales the absolute WORST it could do at this point is underperform.

Jesus Christ...it’s not this damn hard to figure out.
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:IT’S. NOT. GOING. TO. BOMB.
Based on actual pre-sales the absolute WORST it could do at this point is underperform.

Jesus Christ...
B-But G14 and K:IS bombed due to competition with Maleficent, DOTFP, Logan and BATB.

Oh wait they didn't... :roll:

Why is this an exception may I ask you naysayers?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Deja Vu

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I'm not trying to be a naysayer but sometimes the dooming and glooming gets to me too lol

I sincerely doubt it will but the way some people carry on
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I'm making list of you doomsayers so I can publicity call you out when the film does well
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Godzilla21 wrote:I'm making list of you doomsayers so I can publicity call you out when the film does well
BRAGONBREH, LegendZilla (The very guy that compared it bombing to a child dying of cancer) and mothraviras are among those. There's your first batch of doomsayers.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

G2000 wrote:I'm not trying to be a naysayer but sometimes the dooming and glooming gets to me too lol

I sincerely doubt it will but the way some people carry on
Haha, honestly same. I feel that if I wasn’t on these forums, I would be waaay more optimistic about everything (RT score and BO).
Long Live The King

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KOTM is seemingly like the only successful movie being released this month minus John Wick
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Aladdin is on track for 95m fornthe 4 day with potential ton hit 104m. Solo did 103m and we see what happened there and that had better word of mouth then Aladdin.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Sounds about right lol.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

Aladdin is doing VERY well today. Looks to make about 33 mil on it's way to about 100-110 million Memorial Day weekend.

The film playing better with GA than expected is the worst case scenario for KOTM.

I thought Aladdin was going to be dead-on-arrival but the reviews were better than expected and that drove people on the fence to see it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Gyaos wrote:The film playing better with GA than expected is the worst case scenario for KOTM.
Yeah like how X-Men: Days of the Future Past, Maleficent, Logan and Beauty and the Beast were the worst case for G14 and Kong: Skull Island.

And yet...They still did rather well. So may I ask again why this is an exception?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 24, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Aladdin was going to make a ton of money no matter what. It’s a colorful family film opening on a holiday weekend with no real competition.