The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Godzilla 2014 did kinda poorly, I really hope this film is a major success, it could mean some amazing things in the long run
For the love of...no it didn’t. Do we really need to go over this for the billionth time?
Eh, it only made $50 mil. in profit. It's my personal favorite Godzilla film, but it didn't do amazing financially. Now it did do well enough to warrant a sequel and kickstarted a cinematic universe, so it didn't do poorly on the whole but financially... I wouldn't call it poor, but not great either.
Last edited by BlacktimusPrime on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

I think poorly might be a strong word, but a massive (and unexpected) opening DID give way to a pretty middling performance otherwise, contributing factors aside.

Both films are mid-tier blockbusters, above mild hits (breakout indies, Blumhouse Horror films, and the like) but not nearly the smashing successes that most big franchises are judged by today. Cracking a billion is a regular thing that studios look for. Warner Brothers is certainly happy to add another vertical to their roster, but this is no Jurassic World, Marvel movie, or even a Pirates of the Caribbean (the fifth entry of which was very poorly-attended and it still grossed more than both Monsterverse movies). Now, obviously there are any multitude of differences between the aforementioned movies, but we should keep our expectations in check. Trailer views do not equal ticket sales in many cases, and we should be happy if KotM at all improves upon its predecessor given the general audience's post-launch ambivalence to the 2014 film (and it's continued reputation). Renaissance monster movies so far have been proven to solid bets (at least worldwide, taking into account larger foreign grosses, see: Rampage, Rim 1, and The Meg) but have shown to be limited by a certain ceiling too (see: all of the above movie's domestic hauls).

Here's hoping it bucks trends, but I don't see the movie breaking past $650-$700, truthfully. That would be a solid result though. The growth in the Chinese market should help even out any domestic inconsistencies given their warm reception to monster movies of late.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

100m+ opening weekend
800m finish.

That's my prediction.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

miguelnuva wrote:100m+ opening weekend
800m finish.

That's my prediction.
I think 600-650+ million is more likely tbh. You got to keep in mind of the competition it'll be enduring such as Aladdin, John Wick 3, Secret Life of Pets 2 and Gambit.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
800m finish.

That's my prediction.
I think 600-650+ million is more likely tbh. You got to keep in mind of the competition it'll be enduring such as Aladdin, John Wick 3, Secret Life of Pets 2 and Gambit.
John Wick is barely gonna be competition & Gambit is not happening lol. $700 Mil+ is likely if WOM & reviews are strong
Last edited by dillonking55 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

dillonking55 wrote:John Wick is barely gonna be competition & Gambit is not happening lol. $700 Mil+ is likely if WOM & reviews are strong
I recall John Wick itself has a quite a following to my knowledge and Gambit had been confirmed for June 7th, 2019.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
dillonking55 wrote:John Wick is barely gonna be competition & Gambit is not happening lol. $700 Mil+ is likely if WOM & reviews are strong
I recall John Wick itself has a quite a following to my knowledge and Gambit had been confirmed for June 7th, 2019.
Trust me, if you do some research, you'll know Gambit is dead. The film doesn't even have a director attached.

As for John Wick, both 1+2 couldn't even break 100 Mil in the US. It has a following, but it won't be enough to hurt Godzilla in any real way

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I just noticed something: the Monsterverse films so far have gone up against a Marvel superhero film and a Disney live action remake, usually releasing in between both films. I know every blockbuster has competition against each other but nowadays Marvel and Disney rule the box office, I'm surprised that Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island made that much in the presence of their competition. Hopefully this time KOTM can breakout and earn much more than its predecessors since it won't have its legs cut off by another major blockbuster.
Yooo 8-)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gambit is definitely dead. John Wick certainly has a following, though not as much as you might think. (I, myself, am a huge fan of both films and cannot wait for the third.)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
800m finish.

That's my prediction.
Gambit is cancelled, they just haven't made it official yet. The last nail in the coffin was Disney's purchase of Fox - there's no script, no director, and no cast (let alone anything shot). Movies like that are usually FINISHED shooting by now, not still sitting in pre-production. It's dead.

John Wick has a cult following, but I don't think anyone is expecting more than $200m worldwide for Part 3. And two weeks ahead of KOTM? It's not a serious concern.

As I said before, the bigger threats are Aladdin and ESPECIALLY Secret Life of Pets 2. If the film underperforms, it'll be because of one or both of those two.

That said, I'm confident KOTM is going to be fine its opening weekend and will be able to hold off Pets 2. :)

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I'm not sure, Illumination films draw in BIG crowds.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Don't know if anyone has noticed but everyone has been remaking the Kotm trailer with other films including Last Jedi and Infinity war. The comic con trailer alone has revamped Godzilla's image.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Not super newsworthy, but Paramount has moved its Elton John/Rocketman movie to May 31st.

Probably won't hurt Godzilla in any real way, but it's just another film for Godzilla to compete with at the box office.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 16086/amp/

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I predict $600 mil WW
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'm go ahead and be realistic. Kotm makes no more than 500 mill. And it's go struggle to make more than the last one.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Based on what? If anything, this one has more going for it than 2014. The reception for 2014 really wasn't that bad (despite how some fans like to make it out) & the cast & the first trailer for KotM really seemed to take off with people.

I really can't see this doing worse than Skull Island.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

650-700 million.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Godzilla 2014 did kinda poorly, I really hope this film is a major success, it could mean some amazing things in the long run
For the love of...no it didn’t. Do we really need to go over this for the billionth time?

It will probably make 550-600 million world wide.

It didnt do "poorly", but the GA doesnt care about Godzilla. This movie wont change it.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jaqua92 wrote:
gridiron_kaiju wrote:

It will probably make 550-600 million world wide.

It didnt do "poorly", but the GA doesnt care about Godzilla. This movie wont change it.
Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Man, this thread has already gone to pot. :lol: Imagine what it'll be like two weeks before and after it releases.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587