The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by MrRockett »

Godzilla21 wrote:It definitely looks better. But Jafar still sucks

That just sounds a little hateful. Sure Jafar sounds like he carries a bag of sausages and cucumbers with him wherever he goes “just in case” doesn’t mean it will be bad...

Really though Jafar sounds about as intimidating as Richard Simmons telling his fans to put down the donut.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

goji89
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by goji89 »

MrRockett wrote:

That just sounds a little hateful. Sure Jafar sounds like he carries a bag of sausages and cucumbers with him wherever he goes “just in case” doesn’t mean it will be bad...

Really though Jafar sounds about as intimidating as Richard Simmons telling his fans to put down the donut.
Whoa, whoa.....easy there MrRockett. You leave Richard Simmons out of this.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

goji89 wrote:
MrRockett wrote:

Whoa, whoa.....easy there MrRockett. You leave Richard Simmons out of this.
Dick Simmons kept the Afro, sparkly tank tops, LA Gear high tops and Dolphin shorts alive for over 20 years. He is one to be feared...
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I think it's South Korea Japanese IP don't do well.
Well I mean, Japan used to be a dick during and before WW2 to put it lightly. Like, biggest understatement of the century.

In fact in the original Gojira, some of the characters feel like their country is being punished for it's war crimes to an extent, and GMK even flat out makes that the plot.
I'm aware that's why I wasn't shocked that Kong did better than Godzilla there.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

2 weeks from today we should have our first long range tracking for KOTM on BoxOfficePro.com

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Don’t act like my pessimism regarding this movie’s performance has no merit. Remember how Pacific Rim lost to Grown Ups 2?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

LegendZilla wrote:Don’t act like my pessimism regarding this movie’s performance has no merit. Remember how Pacific Rim lost to Grown Ups 2?
Yeah thoses were dark times indeed. I personally think we'll better this time probably won't match 2014 opening but hopefully it will have stronger legs if we're lucky, response seem to be positive enough online so we'll see but I'm still worried though this would have been more of a slam drunk if they didn't play it too safe the first time damn shame.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

LegendZilla wrote:Don’t act like my pessimism regarding this movie’s performance has no merit. Remember how Pacific Rim lost to Grown Ups 2?
LOL what’s your point here?
Yooo 8-)

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

Pacific Rim was the first proper monster movie in about 8 years, 5 if you consider the found footage one off that was Cloverfield. It was a new IP so there was no brand recognition that something like Godzilla had. Also the marketing was lackluster, a lot of Legendary films were at the time, including the 2014 film, often barely showing much until the last few months before release. Things are just... different now. Pacific Rim might of lost to Grown Ups 2, but given the context and what was working against it, I'm not surprised. Also I can promise you Pacific rim is more loved today than Grown Ups 2 is.

I'm trying to find the merit in your pessimism but you just don't have anything other than your opinion. It's just... not grounded. There's nothing wrong with being cautious, but pessimistic? It just seems like you're grasping at straws to be a contrarian.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

This is the post that Legendzilla knew he was losing his argument and went and found the most far away evidence he could being to try and fit to his side.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

lol.

I'm all about pessimism but you are taking it a little far with this silly comparison
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

But still did rather well in the box office.

Your point is moot.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'm keeping an eye on Dumbo this weekend, as it's the first of the big budget live action remakes Disney is releasing this year. Much like Aladdin the buzz has been notably muted, and the critics aren't exactly loving it. Box Office Mojo is predicting a $52M opening weekend, which is in the middle but on the lower end of what the long range forecasters predicted back in February (they gave a $45M to $65M range for opening weekend).

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Early tracking for Detective Pikachu is at 90$ million and John Wick 3 is on for 30$ to 40$ million.

So in the next 2 to 3 weeks we should have Godzilla's early tracking number!

link http://www.darkhorizons.com/dumbo-john- ... ng-strong/
Last edited by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Early tracking for Detective Pikachu is at 90$ million and John Wick 3 is on for 30$ to 40$ million.

The earliest tracking numbers will probably be about $50 - $70 million and i cant wait for people to freak out unnecessarily
Last edited by Moogabunga on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It normally changes when it gets closer to release anyway right?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:It normally changes when it gets closer to release anyway right?
Yes. Box office tracking can be wrong. Captain Marvel did a lot better than their original predictions
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:It normally changes when it gets closer to release anyway right?
Yes. Box office tracking can be wrong. Captain Marvel did a lot better than their original predictions
How do they normally track the numbers? I'd think ticket sales, but that's normally much closer to release. Are they just literal predictions?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tracking for the big blockbusters has been off for years. I think that had JL at 150m and Black Psnther at 120m.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Moogabunga wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:Early tracking for Detective Pikachu is at 90$ million and John Wick 3 is on for 30$ to 40$ million.

The earliest tracking numbers will probably be about $50 - $70 million and i cant wait for people to freak out unnecessarily
Oh joy. Weeks of Legendzilla saying " I told you so." until tracking updates to something more closer to reality.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"