The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Stump Feet »

Those are definitely cool too and a huge plus but I love hearing how about how a movie was made, and what choices went into making it.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Cookson
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Cookson »

johnboy3434 wrote:So it looks like the final verdict on KotM's box office is "successful, but disappointing", right? Using the whole "doubled production budget worldwide equals ultimately breaking even" rule of thumb, it's looking at a ~12.5% return on investment.
Don’t know if we should even use successful honestly. Disappointing is the one and only word if use. When we have to start looking at merchandise and home video sales to make profit on a single film... it’s disappointing
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

johnboy3434 wrote:So it looks like the final verdict on KotM's box office is "successful, but disappointing", right? Using the whole "doubled production budget worldwide equals ultimately breaking even" rule of thumb, it's looking at a ~12.5% return on investment.
Sadly its a bomb. No real way to put it other then that.

Audiences would rather watch Disney junk then something new, creative, and exciting.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I thought we already established it wasn't a bomb.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

Cookson wrote:Don’t know if we should even use successful honestly. Disappointing is the one and only word if use. When we have to start looking at merchandise and home video sales to make profit on a single film... it’s disappointing
It's not rare at all for a big-budget film to have to make a profit off of home video sales. That's actually the rule, rather than the exception.
Gothicserpent wrote:Sadly its a bomb. No real way to put it other then that.
On what do you base that assessment? It's on track to make a profit. Not a huge profit, granted, but a profit. That pretty much precludes it from being a "bomb", which implies that it not only lost money but lost a lot of it.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

johnboy3434 wrote:
Cookson wrote:Don’t know if we should even use successful honestly. Disappointing is the one and only word if use. When we have to start looking at merchandise and home video sales to make profit on a single film... it’s disappointing
It's not rare at all for a big-budget film to have to make a profit off of home video sales. That's actually the rule, rather than the exception.
On what do you base that assessment? It's on track to make a profit. Not a huge profit, granted, but a profit. That pretty much precludes it from being a "bomb", which implies that it not only lost money but lost a lot of it.
It needed $425 mil to start making a profit.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gothicserpent wrote:
johnboy3434 wrote:
It needed $425 mil to start making a profit.
Says who?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I've educated Gothicserpant more times than I can count on why this movie isn't a bomb but never pays attention. Says the same things over and over.

But here we go again.

I consider a bomb something like Pluto Nash. That movie made $7 million on a $100 million budget.

KOTM is at $385 million off a $170 million budget.

I put it in the "disappointment" category.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Holy semantics....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

"Bomb" is an inherently subjective term. If you restrict "bomb" to the likes of Pluto Nash and Heaven's Gate, then no, KOTM is not a "bomb." I also don't think calling *every* movie that makes less than its budget a "bomb" is necessarily appropriate either. Given the inherent fuzziness in figuring out who gets what % of the cut from KOTM's gross in various territories, it's difficult to say whether KOTM has (so far) missed making back its budget by a little or a lot.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I'm not sure I would call it a "bomb", personally, but I can't exactly disprove anyone who chooses to do so.
In my opinion, of course.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I compiled a list of films considered "bombs" around KOTMs budget. There are even bigger bombs with films over $200 million budget but I kept things closer to $170 million. First number is budget, second is worldwide box office.

47 Ronin $175,000,000 - $151,800,000

Alice Through the Looking Glass $170,000,000-$299,500,000

Blade Runner 2049 $185,000,000- $259,100,000

Evan Almighty $175,000,000- $173,400,000

Good Dinosaur $175,000,000- $332,200,000

Green Lantern $200,000,000- $219,900,000

Jack the Giant Slayer $185,000,000- $197,700,000

Jupiter Ascending $175,000,000-$184,000,000

King Arthur $175,000,000-$148,700,000

KOTM $170,000,000- $385,000,000

These films are considered bombs and as you can see KOTM outperformed them all. Closest is Good Dinosaur and thats still $50 million less. KOTM was not a "bomb".
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Flopzilla: King of the Bombsters
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Flopzilla: King of the Bombsters
I'm tired of telling you to stop trolling. Enjoy the warning.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Maritonic wrote:
He's just referencing a post I made about him while he was gone.
Smuggers wrote:and then he'd call it Flopzilla: King of the Bombsters
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Smuggers wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
He's just referencing a post I made about him while he was gone.
Smuggers wrote:and then he'd call it Flopzilla: King of the Bombsters
Thats kind of an obscure thing to remember. Plus he has a history of trollish behavior in this thread.

Anyway, I've noticed that they don't report KOTMs numbers on Sunday like they do other films the last few weeks on BOM. It usually doesn't come in till Monday for some reason
SpaceG92 wrote:

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Maritonic wrote:
I think it was less trolling and more of a joke, I hope you didn’t just slap him with his perma ban…
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I think it was less trolling and more of a joke, I hope you didn’t just slap him with his perma ban…
If someone trolls a topic 40 out of 50 times guess what a Mod will think of the other 10 posts are.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

384m at BOM now, so yeah 385 it is. Plus the home movies and we'll literally be around 425m lol.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Wow. I can't believe this movie did worse than Rampage and Pacific Rim.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Rampage and PR did not have that BO blackhole known as Endgame at their releases.