The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dv-218 wrote:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Yeah that's likely the case, especially if he did some music for Lion King. I've also heard of but haven't heard B&tJ and Rocket Man.
Give him a listen and expand your musical horizons. He's one of the best selling artists of the past 50 years. A lot of timeless songs. And the amount of hit songs and albums he had in the 70's is staggering.
Preach, among the greatest musicians of the 20th century imo. Has a lot of worldwide famous hits.

I can definitely see Rocketman posing some competition to Godzilla- but then again, there might be some differences in the groups that attend. So, i'd say Godzilla has a chance.
Yeah Elton John definitely has a set target audience, but the fact that it's R rated and normally biopics don't earn buku money, let alone with still-living celebs. I think Godzilla will be fine.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by vibramrunner »

Dark Phoenix tracking at 50 million. Feels like we forgot all about that. I'll take the under.

https://www.looper.com/153169/dark-phoe ... men-movie/

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Give him a listen and expand your musical horizons. He's one of the best selling artists of the past 50 years. A lot of timeless songs. And the amount of hit songs and albums he had in the 70's is staggering.
Preach, among the greatest musicians of the 20th century imo. Has a lot of worldwide famous hits.

I can definitely see Rocketman posing some competition to Godzilla- but then again, there might be some differences in the groups that attend. So, i'd say Godzilla has a chance.
Yeah Elton John definitely has a set target audience, but the fact that it's R rated and normally biopics don't earn buku money, let alone with still-living celebs. I think Godzilla will be fine.
You could almost say it's kind of a ... niche genre ;)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

vibramrunner wrote:Dark Phoenix tracking at 50 million. Feels like we forgot all about that. I'll take the under.

https://www.looper.com/153169/dark-phoe ... men-movie/
"Multiple delays, extensive rounds of reshoots, and various test screenings that reportedly all bombed made it difficult for Dark Phoenix to garner a lot of positive attention. "
Lmfao... Yeah I see this movie opening at $45 Mill.

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
vibramrunner wrote: You could almost say it's kind of a ... niche genre ;)
ohhoho you're right on that one! ;)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

On top of all of that, it's an R-rated MUSICAL biopic. Like, I think the idea is The Greatest Showman meets Bohemian Rhapsody, which is just a bizarre concept. I've legitimately been scratching my head wondering who this movie is actually FOR because on paper that sounds like an automatic bomb.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Moogabunga wrote:Projections came out. No move at all for Godzilla for like the 4th week in a row - $54 million
Aladdin jumped 2%! Someone get Gfan90s a Xanax stat!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I can see the headlines already,

"Godzilla King of the Monsters stomps on the competition, after crushing the opening weekend with a massive 101 million box office take, it has proceeded to crush Chucky, Woody, Buzz, John Wick, Elton John and Aladdin. This just goes to show why Godzilla... is King."

Added in 2 minutes :
Pkmatrix wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

On top of all of that, it's an R-rated MUSICAL biopic. Like, I think the idea is The Greatest Showman meets Bohemian Rhapsody, which is just a bizarre concept. I've legitimately been scratching my head wondering who this movie is actually FOR because on paper that sounds like an automatic bomb.
Definitely, they've really limited their take in $, but to be fair Elton Johns come-up would probably require that R rating, assuming he's had that rough rockstar lifestyle.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:I can see the headlines already,

"Godzilla King of the Monsters stomps on the competition, after crushing the opening weekend with a massive 1000000001 million box office take, it has proceeded to crush Chucky, Woody, Buzz, John Wick, Elton John and Aladdin. This just goes to show why Godzilla... is King."
Fixed ;)
Long Live The King

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hokmuto wrote:

"Godzilla King of the Monsters stomps on the competition, after crushing the opening weekend with a massive 4.9 Billion box office take, it has proceeded to crush Chucky, Woody, Buzz, John Wick, Elton John and Aladdin. This just goes to show why Godzilla... is King."
Fixed ;)
Double fixed ;)

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Hoping it makes over 700 million worldwide when its all said and done.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:

"Godzilla King of the Monsters stomps on the competition, after crushing the opening weekend with a massive 4.9 Centillion box office take, it has proceeded to crush Chucky, Woody, Buzz, John Wick, Elton John and Aladdin. This just goes to show why Godzilla... is King."
Fixed ;)
Double fixed ;)
Triple fixed ;). (Mods looking at this, I’ll stop now)
Long Live The King

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

And so will everyone else. Back to normal conversations, I shouldn't have to tell everyone this every day.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

scmtkings4
Samurai

Post by scmtkings4 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I still can't think of any Elton John songs lol. But that 70 mill China prediction is looking sweet, especially vs Aladdins 10 mill even though it comes out in 7 days lmfaooooo
You must be young. Elton John was a huge deal back in the day.
I'm in the same boat as jnavs. I've definitely heard his music before but just didn't know it was him. I'm not as young as jnav (im 30) but elton john was just never that big during my teen to adult years.

Queen however is one of my all time favorites despite not being active during my years.

I'm a little surprised rocketman is tracking as high as it is. I hadn't even heard of that biopic coming out until I jumped back on here.
Last edited by scmtkings4 on Fri May 17, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hokmuto wrote: Triple fixed ;). (Mods looking at this, I’ll stop now)
Lmfao... What kinda opening are you hoping for?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Sonic wrote:Hoping it makes over 700 million worldwide when its all said and done.
I hope so as well. I think the movie will do awesome overseas, especially China. If this movie can only do 220 here in the states, the foreign market has to make it 480 which I think is feasible if China brings in 240-270

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
What I’m hoping for? 100 million. What realistically it can do but with optimism? 80 million.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Hokmuto wrote:
Sonic wrote:Hoping it makes over 700 million worldwide when its all said and done.
I hope so as well. I think the movie will do awesome overseas, especially China. If this movie can only do 220 here in the states, the foreign market has to make it 480 which I think is feasible if China brings in 240-270

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
What I’m hoping for? 100 million. What realistically it can do bu with optimism? 80 million.
most definitely... let's hope for the best.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Earliest review of Rocketman I could find from (excellent pop culture site) theringer.com substantiates my takes of the movie earlier when I said 1.) Egerton wouldn't compare to Rami:
Taron Egerton’s performance fluctuates between realism and clownish exaggeration, while his singing is just good enough for the evocative, theatrical interpretations that the script requires of him. Unlike Rami Malek, he can’t be accused of cheating, but neither can he be praised for acting...
and 2.) that the whole movie would unconvincingly come across as Oscar bait:
As easy as it is to watch, Fletcher’s film is rarely transporting, too concerned as it is with being sincere and untouchable. Ideally, a movie like this would either fully sweep its audience up in a rush of emotion or else take them out of their comfort zones. Rocketman does neither.
Lightning doesn't strike twice, and Rocketman won't meet Rhapsody's critical acclaim or BO success.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/5 ... on-egerton
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri May 17, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Except that it has an 89% on RT
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Gothicserpent wrote:Except that it has an 89% on RT
ehhh, 69 on Metacritic. Reviews will be trickling for days, we'll see.

Re: "Critical acclaim," BR actually came out to very mixed reviews, but ended up with tons of awards -- most notably a Golden Globe for best drama. That, in particular, is what I don't see happening with Rocketman. And I don't think audiences will buy the hype.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Gothicserpent wrote:Except that it has an 89% on RT
Ghostbusters 2016 has a 73% RT score. That should tell you how accurate it is.

Its better to take all the scores of critics and average them.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

So 2 weeks to go and in China the minimum is 70+ million as reported earlier, which is a jump from the 65 million minimum a couple of days ago. At the end of the day at this rate, I think the minimum would be at 80-85 million.
Long Live The King