The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by miguelnuva »

Gyaos wrote:Aladdin is doing VERY well today. Looks to make about 33 mil on it's way to about 100-110 million Memorial Day weekend.

The film playing better with GA than expected is the worst case scenario for KOTM.

I thought Aladdin was going to be dead-on-arrival but the reviews were better than expected and that drove people on the fence to see it.
Its estimate to take 28-30m today and is on it's way to 95-104m over the 4 days.

It's on par with Solo and solo did 29m week 2.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Godzilla21 »

Gyaos wrote:Aladdin is doing VERY well today. Looks to make about 33 mil on it's way to about 100-110 million Memorial Day weekend.

The film playing better with GA than expected is the worst case scenario for KOTM.

I thought Aladdin was going to be dead-on-arrival but the reviews were better than expected and that drove people on the fence to see it.
$100 million is about where I've seen a lot of people predict it for the 3 day weekend. So its not really doing "VERY" well. Its about in line with expectations. Beauty and the Beast hit like $175 million opening weekend. Now that would be VERY well numbers for Aladdin but it won't come close to that.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Not trying to be gloomy, I'm just listing facts.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

The thing is I expect Aladdin to do well this week, just don’t think it will be too much of an impact on next week. Just an opinion.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Kong survived Beauty and the beast and that movie made a billion dollars. It also survived Logan. Aladdin and Dark Phoenix are definately not as big as Kong's competition. Hopefully King of the monsters does even better than Kong.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

fred25_ca wrote:Kong survived Beauty and the beast
No, it was beauty killed the beast
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The King of the Monsters will scare the Fresh Prince right back into his bottle, he will send the Pets right back into their Secret Lives and he will send the Mutants right back to school.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

fred25_ca wrote:Kong survived Beauty and the beast and that movie made a billion dollars. It also survived Logan. Aladdin and Dark Phoenix are definately not as big as Kong's competition. Hopefully King of the monsters does even better than Kong.
That's what I keep telling these naysayers but for some reason ignores it as if its a ghost...-_-

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I'm pretty sure KOTM will do better in China than in the US, like KSI. And I'm sure it will do better than KSI in both countries.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Aladdin is gonna be a problem

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/ ... 7517299713

"A" CinemaScore
93% Audience Rating on Rotten Tomatoes
Estimated $106 Million opening 4 day weekend

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Gavin Feng

China Box Office: Godzilla: King of the Monsters earn $2.1M from Saturday previews. 7.0/10 on Douban film site & 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao ticket site. Current pre-sale performance suggest it's looking to $70-75M on 3-day opening next week

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/ ... 5165526017
Last edited by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX on Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Moogabunga wrote:Aladdin is gonna be a problem

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/ ... 7517299713

"A" CinemaScore
93% Audience Rating on Rotten Tomatoes
Estimated $106 Million opening 4 day weekend
Domestic, yes. It appeals to different demographics though so it won’t be monster competition.

In China though (since you linked Gavin Feng), should be no problem

Added in 7 minutes 23 seconds:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:Gavin Feng

China Box Office: Godzilla: King of the Monsters earn $2.1M from Saturday previews. 7.0/10 on Douban film site & 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao ticket site. Current pre-sale performance suggest it's looking to $70-75M on 3-day opening next week

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/ ... 5165526017
I see that going higher as it doesn’t take into account walk up and the fact they’re early screenings for a movie that comes out a week later, so they aren’t readily available.
Long Live The King

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

I think if anyone here doubted Alladin, they’re an idiot.

I’m not at all surprised by these numbers.
Facts don't care about your feelings

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Ben Shapiro wrote:I think if anyone here doubted Alladin, they’re an idiot.

The only surprise I have is the audience rating on RT. Did an army of 12-yo girls make verified accounts or something? :eh:

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

LockBite wrote:
Ben Shapiro wrote:I think if anyone here doubted Alladin, they’re an idiot.

The only surprise I have is the audience rating on RT. Did an army of 12-yo girls make verified accounts or something? :eh:
Yeah, you didn’t hear about it?
Facts don't care about your feelings

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Back when Captain Marvel dropped, there were over 20 of the exact same positive comments, likely more but those were the ones I bothered to scroll through. So I don't know what the case is but they seem to ban the negative spammers and leave the positive ones.

Not saying that's the case, but if there's generally fishy reviews that seem like ads, it could be why.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 25, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

So Aladdin makes 106 million on the 4 day weekend and 85 million on the 3 day weekend. It has good WOM, but it’s dealing with virtually no competition, so it should decrease by 55-60% by next week when it has to deal with Godzilla and Rocketman. Given this, Aladdin should make around 35-45 million. Take that as you will
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Must be Disney buying more of their own tickets and using them to verify positive reviews. Killing two birds with one stone, that sneaky mouse!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

There's really nothing to worry about.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:Must be Disney buying more of their own tickets and using them to verify positive reviews. Killing two birds with one stone, that sneaky mouse!
I know this is heavy sarcasm and I've got 2 sets of tinfoil wrapped around my arms like floaties along with a tinfoil bane mask on, but I wouldn't put that past Disney, since after all, they do have money like that and a reputation to keep.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.