The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JGAR
Futurian

The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by JGAR »

Hey guys!

I made this thread to discuss the box office success for Godzilla: King of the Monsters. This includes putting in our own predictions, as well as talking about the buzz surrounding the film, the numbers it’s tracked to make on opening weekend, what it actually makes on opening weekend, it’s legs, etc. We can also speculate how general audience interest and buzz on platforms like social media can affect the film, and other points like MBB’s popularity attracting viewers, and the competition surrounding the film such as Aladdin and Avengers 4.

Me personally, I wish it would hit a billion, but it would require universal praise and raves. It’s too early to predict but I honestly don’t think it would top the opening weekend numbers for Godzilla 2014. A lot of people were very disappointed in the bait-and-switch with of Bryan Cranston and Godzilla that despite good reviews, audiences didn’t come back or recommend the film to others, hence the horrible drops it suffered. I imagine people will wait cautiously for word of mouth this time around or not come around even. I just hope the film is a massive success somehow so we can see more Monsterverse movies but we can’t ignore the wrongs that Godzilla 2014 did.

OW (opening weekend): $80M
DOM (domestic): $250M
WW (worldwide): $600M

What do you guys think ?
Last edited by JGAR on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Have you seen the overwhelmingly positive review to the trailer? It hand's down was the best trailer to come from Comic Con 2018 from most of the comment's i read.

If and i do mean if Godzilla 2 can live up to the hype of the trailer then i'd say 650$ million possibly 700$ million

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Domestic: $200-250 million
Intl: $500-550 million
TOTAL GROSS: $700-800 million

This is just a realistic prediction though. Of course I would love it to do more.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I honestly predict 600 million maybe 650+ million if lucky (Which isn't a stretch considering the marketing of trailers). Gotta keep in mind of the competition it will be facing with John Wick 3 and Aladdin. Avengers 4 won't be any biggie since that will be weeks later. Otherwise I would had said 700 million.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I agree that we're looking at hopefully something like $600M to $700M worldwide. It's well after Avengers 4, so I don't think we're going to have to worry as much about it. And as much as I love the John Wick series, both films COMBINED have made less than $300M worldwide, so the biggest competition will be Aladdin the week before and The Secret Life of Pets 2 the week after. (Opening weekend should be all KOTM's - the path has pretty much been cleared.) I know calendars you look up say there's a Gambit movie coming out the week after, but everyone agrees that isn't happening - it's almost August and they haven't even begun casting (outside Tatum as Gambit), let alone filming! Meanwhile, we just had a trailer for KOTM which is coming out the week before. Expect Gambit to disappear from the calendar soon.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

75m OW
190m total domestically
450m total international
640m total worldwide

I'm hoping for a bigger domestic number. This will make 200m in China alone.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

As long as the trailers/marketing/WOM stay strong, I think Godzilla: KotM has a good shot at 110m+ opening weekend. People are LOVING that first trailer. I could see a 250-300 mil domestic run. The international BO should eat this up. Total run around 650-700 mil or more. I have a really good feeling about this movie.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Over 13 million views on the trailer on the official WB Youtube page.

The very first official teaser trailer for Godzilla '14 which came out in December 2013 had 17 million views.
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think a lot of people's guesses of $600-700 million are probably about where I would guess at this point. I think the domestic total will be about the same as the first Godzilla movie, but foreign could be more like $400 million. Depends heavily on how well liked the movie is, and well marketed up to its debut.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Can anyone take a smart guess as to when the next trailer will come out? I am guessing in October and it will be attached to Mowgli.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

LegendZilla wrote:Can anyone take a smart guess as to when the next trailer will come out?
I am definitely not expecting the next trailer until the very end of the year. I remember for G14 we didn't even get our first trailer until December. So I can see them releasing one around that time and tying it to either Fantastic Beasts 2 or Aquaman.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Have you seen the overwhelmingly positive review to the trailer? It hand's down was the best trailer to come from Comic Con 2018 from most of the comment's i read.

If and i do mean if Godzilla 2 can live up to the hype of the trailer then i'd say 650$ million possibly 700$ million
Godzilla 2014 also had great trailers, the best of 2014 even, but the movie didn't appeal to everyone (and I loved the film btw). Having great trailers and effective marketing will bring in people for the release, but it's the quality of the film that will convince people to tall their friends, families, etc to watch the movie in the coming weeks.
Yooo 8-)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

There was a huge drop off in Week 2 for the 2014 film, but I think people forget that X-Men Days of Future Past came out the very next week (pulled in 90mil its opening weekend according to Box Office Mojo), and Maleficent came out the week after that (a terrible movie, but it was Disney remaking one of their IPs in live action, so it made bank, with almost 70mil its opening weekend). The lukewarm reactions to Godzilla's lack of screen time didn't help, but there probably would have been a massive drop off regardless.

The competition is a key factor in this as well and if competition is tight, that'll affect the overall box office.

For KOTM, Avengers 4 will have been out for three weeks by the time it comes out and Aladdin (Just...ugh...Disney, what the hell? Why do people like these things?) will come out in the middle of the month. That MIGHT impact KOTM if those movies have legs following their openings, but Godzilla has a chance to not get swallowed up by them by coming out weeks after those releases as opposed to right before it. The week after, the next releases are Gambit and Secret Lives of Pets 2 (Good Lord they'll give anything a sequel these days), which I don't envision being huge money makers.

Just a guess on my part, but if KOTM continues to have strong marketing and delivers on what its promising, I think it has a chance to do fairly well domestically.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GojiDog wrote:There was a huge drop off in Week 2 for the 2014 film, but I think people forget that X-Men Days of Future Past came out the very next week (pulled in 90mil its opening weekend according to Box Office Mojo), and Maleficent came out the week after that (a terrible movie, but it was Disney remaking one of their IPs in live action, so it made bank, with almost 70mil its opening weekend). The lukewarm reactions to Godzilla's lack of screen time didn't help, but there probably would have been a massive drop off regardless.

The competition is a key factor in this as well and if competition is tight, that'll affect the overall box office.

For KOTM, Avengers 4 will have been out for three weeks by the time it comes out and Aladdin (Just...ugh...Disney, what the hell? Why do people like these things?) will come out in the middle of the month. That MIGHT impact KOTM if those movies have legs following their openings, but Godzilla has a chance to not get swallowed up by them by coming out weeks after those releases as opposed to right before it. The week after, the next releases are Gambit and Secret Lives of Pets 2 (Good Lord they'll give anything a sequel these days), which I don't envision being huge money makers.

Just a guess on my part, but if KOTM continues to have strong marketing and delivers on what its promising, I think it has a chance to do fairly well domestically.
You can cross off Gambit, that movie hasn't started shooting (or even has a SCRIPT, last I heard). Word is, considering the Disney-Fox merger, that it is for all intents and purposes cancelled (though, if it isn't, don't expect it any sooner than 2020).

Assuming that G:KOTM has a wide enough berth from Avengers 4 and Aladdin for those not to affect it, the only real threats are Secret Life of Pets 2 during Week 2 and Toy Story 4 during Week 4. (Week 3 sees a Shaft movie and a MiB spin-off...I'm not expecting serious competition from either.) If G:KOTM is as good as the trailer looks and WOM is strong, we could see a real battle for the #1 spot that week.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

4 weeks is big enough of a distance for Toy Story to not effect the movie. Same reason Avengers 4 won't effect it being 4 weeks away itself. If it was a week or 2 I'd agree though.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

LegendZilla wrote:Can anyone take a smart guess as to when the next trailer will come out? I am guessing in October and it will be attached to Mowgli.
Mowgli is going straight to Netflix though. I'm guessing Drcember-ish, when winter break/the holidays are in full force. Aquaman is my best guess.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

vibramrunner wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Can anyone take a smart guess as to when the next trailer will come out? I am guessing in October and it will be attached to Mowgli.
Mowgli is going straight to Netflix though. I'm guessing Drcember-ish, when winter break/the holidays are in full force. Aquaman is my best guess.
Yeah, I agree, Aquaman in December is most likely. The other option is probably Creed II in late November, as that'll be right around Thanksgiving Weekend and will let them spam the trailer on everything throughout the holidays.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

I think it’s really going to depend on a few different factors.

1. If the trailers continue to be as good as the first.
2. Good buzz and word of mouth leading up to and after release.
3. Stranger things fans. I’m really hoping MBB fans go see this no matter what.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Godzilla 2014 did kinda poorly, I really hope this film is a major success, it could mean some amazing things in the long run
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Godzilla 2014 did kinda poorly, I really hope this film is a major success, it could mean some amazing things in the long run
For the love of...no it didn’t. Do we really need to go over this for the billionth time?