Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Maritonic wrote:In fairness, this isn't an entirely valid statement. For one, Rodan's theme is mentioned a lot. Secondly, so many themes are reworked or modified in the franchise's history, does this imply we can't appreciate those scores just because it was done before in Gojira or Mothra? I get what you're going for here, I'm just not sure it's entirely valid when you look at the entire franchise and it's various scores.
Nah, you can appreciate them all you want. I just don't care for soundtracks when music that wasn't even written by the film's composer completely outshines the original work.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Bear actually remade and reworked the themes to the point where I get a different feeling from them than I do with the original compositions. For example, Godzilla's theme is less foreboding and more heroic sounding when the chanting kicks in. It's one of the few movies I can actually sit down and put on the OST of.

It had lot more effort put into it then just copy-pasting themes from one movie to another with zero modifications like Shin with it's Gojira and Eva pieces.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Smuggers wrote:
Spoiler:
BUT SHIN GODZILLA
Evergreen post
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

GuardianGhido wrote:Bear McCreary's score is the best since Ifukube himself.
Woah…

That’s going a little far don’t you think?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's definitely better than plenty of the older films, or the ones that just plain retreaded the exact same themes.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

May I ask, are you guys fans of the older Toho films or do you prefer the MonsterVerse series of films?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Stump Feet wrote:May I ask, are you guys fans of the older Toho films or do you prefer the MonsterVerse series of films?
Both. the older films are great, however the Monsterverse films are also great.

Feels like a modern Heisei/Showa blend.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I like both older Toho films and the Monsterverse films for different reasons, and I fail to see how does it have anything to do with the soundtrack. Personally i'd put McCreary at 2nd place when it comes to composers in the franchise, with Oshima and Ifukube being at second and first places for me respectfully. The KOTM ost legit blew me away, I was really not expecting it to be THIS memorable and good.

But hey, like I said, this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dv-218 wrote:I like both older Toho films and the Monsterverse films for different reasons, and I fail to see how does it have anything to do with the soundtrack. Personally i'd put McCreary at 2nd place when it comes to composers in the franchise, with Oshima and Ifukube being at second and first places for me respectfully. The KOTM ost legit blew me away, I was really not expecting it to be THIS memorable and good.

But hey, like I said, this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
I also put Bear at #2. Second to Ifukube.

However Final Wars, GMK, most of the Showa films, and GvD are all up there with great scores.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Stump Feet wrote:May I ask, are you guys fans of the older Toho films or do you prefer the MonsterVerse series of films?
There are a few Toho films I like more than the MonsterVerse films, but both MonsterVerse films are both in my top 5 G films.

I'm still a big fan of the older Toho films and watch them from time to time. I have a complete collection of every Godzilla movie on DVD/Blu Ray
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
There are a few Toho films I like more than the MonsterVerse films, but both MonsterVerse films are both in my top 5 G films.

I'm still a big fan of the older Toho films and watch them from time to time. I have a complete collection of every Godzilla movie on DVD/Blu Ray
Same here, top 5 films for sure.

Though all my Godzilla films are surprisingly either from that box set with the yellow covers or VHS's such as 80s Godzilla on the cover but GvMegalon being the film.

I really have to start a blu-ray collection of old Godzilla films, but they're so pricey!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Stump Feet wrote:
Woah…

Definitely. I don't believe that it is. I really liked Michiru Oshima's and Takayuki Hattori's scores. Alexandre Desplat's score is good too. Bear McCreary's is good, but I like those three better. Desplat's score is more dramatic, and emphasizes the events on screen very well. It quiets down a lot to add more impact to certain scenes, differentiating it from a number of scores for the series so far. Some people dislike that, but I thought it was pretty good. His Godzilla theme and other leitmotifs fit well for Legendary's Godzilla, and I miss hearing them. The difference between the two is that Desplat focuses on building and releasing tension, while McCreary focuses on the thematics pretty strictly. I don't remember many major pauses in his score due to the pacing of the film. I wonder how the Bluray will work with his soundtrack. Are there unreleased tracks, or did some of them go unused? I'm not completely sure.

It wasn't McCreary's fault for not being quite as dramatic as Desplat's, however. The film moves too fast sometimes for the soundtrack to fully register, at least to me. The film doesn't completely let McCreary's best tracks, including his rendition of Godzilla's theme (Main Title track), resonate as they should. The chanting is a bit excessive at times, I'll admit. Finally, Serj Tankian and the Blue Oyster Cult cover didn't work for me or my family (they disliked it), and some people in the audience walked out when they heard it. That could've been that it was at the end of the film, but it's an interesting thing to note. Overall, Bear McCreary did exceptionally well, but isn't the very best.

Koichi Sugiyama is pretty much hated now for some of his remarks in the past and his political beliefs, but he puts together nice scores as well. Godzilla vs. Biollante's soundtrack was great. Bio Wars was a change of pace, as well as Godzilla's theme.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

For all my problems with the movie the score wasn't one of them. I sorta think it's the best thing to come out of the movie. I love the new renditions of the Godzilla and Mothra theme. obviously goodbye old friend is amazing. Rodan's theme aswell, and I would say that I might prefer the new Ghidorah theme to the original theme.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm not sure I'd call it the best since Ifukube, but it's pretty close for me! I'd need to chew on it a bit more.

The biggest contender for me is Kow Otani and his outstanding soundtrack for GMK and the Gamera Trilogy (not strictly Godzilla but it bears mentioning.) Michiru Oshima Is pretty good too but the complexities and attention to detail present in Bear's KotM's score allow it to edge out slightly ahead of her.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

not since ifukube I may eben lile the kiryu tracks more.
Also since I saw a discussion about favorite themes earlier. I habe to say I am happy they used this particular theme It has been my favorite ever sonce I watched my first real Godzilla movie wich was vs kg. especially when he makes landfall for the first time how it has the beginning part that slowly builds up into the 54 theme, just amazing. It ikpressed me as a 4 year old and it still does.
Really happy to hear it on the big screen for the first time
Last edited by attilagodzilla on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Woah…

Definitely. I don't believe that it is. I really liked Michiru Oshima's and Takayuki Hattori's scores. Alexandre Desplat's score is good too. Bear McCreary's is good, but I like those three better. Desplat's score is more dramatic, and emphasizes the events on screen very well. It quiets down a lot to add more impact to certain scenes, differentiating it from a number of scores for the series so far. Some people dislike that, but I thought it was pretty good. His Godzilla theme and other leitmotifs fit well for Legendary's Godzilla, and I miss hearing them. The difference between the two is that Desplat focuses on building and releasing tension, while McCreary focuses on the thematics pretty strictly. I don't remember many major pauses in his score due to the pacing of the film. I wonder how the Bluray will work with his soundtrack. Are there unreleased tracks, or did some of them go unused? I'm not completely sure.

It wasn't McCreary's fault for not being quite as dramatic as Desplat's, however. The film moves too fast sometimes for the soundtrack to fully register, at least to me. The film doesn't completely let McCreary's best tracks, including his rendition of Godzilla's theme (Main Title track), resonate as they should. The chanting is a bit excessive at times, I'll admit. Finally, Serj Tankian and the Blue Oyster Cult cover didn't work for me or my family (they disliked it), and some people in the audience walked out when they heard it. That could've been that it was at the end of the film, but it's an interesting thing to note. Overall, Bear McCreary did exceptionally well, but isn't the very best.

Koichi Sugiyama is pretty much hated now for some of his remarks in the past and his political beliefs, but he puts together nice scores as well. Godzilla vs. Biollante's soundtrack was great. Bio Wars was a change of pace, as well as Godzilla's theme.
tbh I was just mirroring what Watch was saying to annoy him.

It's quite debatable how Bear's tracks compare to the other non-Ifukube tracks, but for me at least, his is the most memorable , iconic and bombastic after Ifukube's own works. GMK had a good track, but I feel that this one's even better.

Desplat's one really didn't resonate with me all that well, sure it was a fine soundtrack (the main theme and back to the ocean was pretty good) but it didn't really feel...Godzilla enough, whereas Bear McCreary's felt 100% Godzilla to me. Then again, that's just my opinion and from an objective standpoint there's really no way to tell who's the second best after Ifukube himself. It's all a matter of personal taste.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I love Desplat's tracks like the main title and parts during the SF climax due to their intense nature, but honestly I felt like most of McCreary's score was much more memorable and had more of a presence. And honestly, nothing quite compares to the feeling of listening to the OG theme blasting through the screen- just pure epicness. Godzilla's appearance in Antarctica, his rebirth and appearance in Boston were just chill inducing with the theme. But like I said, just my personal feeling.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

GuardianGhido wrote:Desplat's one really didn't resonate with me all that well, sure it was a fine soundtrack (the main theme and back to the ocean was pretty good) but it didn't really feel...Godzilla enough, whereas Bear McCreary's felt 100% Godzilla to me. Then again, that's just my opinion and from an objective standpoint there's really no way to tell who's the second best after Ifukube himself. It's all a matter of personal taste.
Well, it felt 100% Godzilla because it was a rendition of Akira Ifukube's work instead of something completely original. While McCreary did take artistic liberties, it's still a familiar sound, and it's the safe route to take when making Godzilla films.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I liked Desplat's score for the 2014 film quite a bit. I can recall several specific tracks like the main title, The Wave, Back to the Ocean, and most of the music that accompanies the monster action. Not having the classic theme in there though (when there were a handful of moments where it would have fit perfectly) made it feel like something was missing. Having the classic Godzilla theme in there makes the movie feel more authentic.

Its kind of like doing a Bond movie without the classic theme. The movie feels like it is missing something if it isn't there. Or even Star Wars not having any music from John Williams in there. Rogue One had a pretty good score, the first live action Star Wars film to not be composed by Williams, but still had a blending of the new music with classic cues to make it feel like it belonged.

Shin Godzilla had some of the best original tracks of the entire franchise (Persecution of the Masses and Who Will Know) but still relied heavily on the classic music (and some Evangelion tracks as well, lol).

Heck one of my favorite Godzilla scores is from Godzilla Vs. Gigan and that is almost entirely just recycled Ifukube tracks. He kind of gave Godzilla his soul, and it just sounds right whenever it is used.

And it isn't purely a nostalgic thing either. If Bear wanted to go for pure nostalgia, we would have had the old Ghidorah and Rodan themes as well, and probably the Monster Zero March thrown in for good measure. I felt like he created something that fit the spirit of Godzilla and the kaiju genre and only used a couple of classic tracks to clearly define it as a Godzilla score.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GojiDog wrote:I liked Desplat's score for the 2014 film quite a bit. I can recall several specific tracks like the main title, The Wave, Back to the Ocean, and most of the music that accompanies the monster action. Not having the classic theme in there though (when there were a handful of moments where it would have fit perfectly) made it feel like something was missing. Having the classic Godzilla theme in there makes the movie feel more authentic.

Its kind of like doing a Bond movie without the classic theme. The movie feels like it is missing something if it isn't there. Or even Star Wars not having any music from John Williams in there. Rogue One had a pretty good score, the first live action Star Wars film to not be composed by Williams, but still had a blending of the new music with classic cues to make it feel like it belonged.

Shin Godzilla had some of the best original tracks of the entire franchise (Persecution of the Masses and Who Will Know) but still relied heavily on the classic music (and some Evangelion tracks as well, lol).

Heck one of my favorite Godzilla scores is from Godzilla Vs. Gigan and that is almost entirely just recycled Ifukube tracks. He kind of gave Godzilla his soul, and it just sounds right whenever it is used.

And it isn't purely a nostalgic thing either. If Bear wanted to go for pure nostalgia, we would have had the old Ghidorah and Rodan themes as well, and probably the Monster Zero March thrown in for good measure. I felt like he created something that fit the spirit of Godzilla and the kaiju genre and only used a couple of classic tracks to clearly define it as a Godzilla score.
According to the interview with him he actually fought to get the Godzilla and Mothra themes in. Not surprised that the Ghidorah/Rodan themes didn't make it, Toho can get overprotective over certain things like musical scores. Not a problem for me, I felt like the new themes made up for that. Distinct and new, but still encompass the overall characters of both kaiju. It definitely worked for the best, as you said.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.