Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by BARAGONBREH »

The chanting was just plain misguided. Distracting, corny and horrible. Definitely hoping Bear goes back to video games where his unique brand of cheap cheese belongs.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Video game soundtracks are cheap cheese?

-looks at Journey, which nearly stole an academy award from a theatrical film for its soundtrack-

I know you like being a contrarian but maybe research a bit before the blanket statements.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

BARAGONBREH wrote:The chanting was just plain misguided. Distracting, corny and horrible. Definitely hoping Bear goes back to video games where his unique brand of cheap cheese belongs.
Stop, you're trying too hard.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:The chanting was just plain misguided. Distracting, corny and horrible. Definitely hoping Bear goes back to video games where his unique brand of cheap cheese belongs.
Like... Really hard.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Thank you Baragonbreh, very cool!

Do some actual research before spouting idiotic remarks like this.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Except for a couple instances the score barely even registered to me. Then again that's a problem I've had with all the MonsterVerse films so far.
That's how I felt about it. I listened to the soundtrack, thought it was fantastic, but it just didn't let up much, while simultaneously being drowned out. Even if it's relatively loud, it seems quiet with everything else going on in each shot, and the sound effects. I barely remembered the tracks by the end, as odd as that is. I say this with confidence now, after seeing the film again.

Here's an additional bit: Did anyone else feel weird about the missing part of Godzilla's theme in the beginning of the track? There's a whole piece of it missing about 15 seconds in. I noticed that the very first time I heard it and it still sort of bugs me.

It's also interesting to note that the theme is used in a similar fashion to in Terror of Mechagodzilla, the first time the "Attack Godzilla" track of Gojira was used as Godzilla's theme. I've always preferred Godzilla's original theme, but I guess they got attached to the "Main Title" and "Attack Godzilla" tracks from 1954 (which was used in the 1990's a lot).
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:I've always preferred Godzilla's original theme,
That being "Godzilla's Rampage" back in 1954, or his theme introduced in King Kong vs Godzilla?

If it's the former I'd agree with you. I enjoy how sequels like Mothra vs Godzilla update the theme to have a sense of magnificence that no other Godzilla theme has really captured since then.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Wow, are you growing a hate boner for Bear McCreary too? You really have no idea how to respect anyone whose works you dislike, do you?

Anyway, hatebonerbreh aside, I kinda missed one part of the 1954 Godzilla theme that was remixed beautifully in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 here (at about 0:25 to 0:57). That majestic theme would have been great for his entrance in Boston before the March kicks in.

Philip Anderson also made a wonderful remix of that tune that slowly picks up and gets more and more intense and synced it to Godzilla 2014 in This video. I'd really love to hear that theme in the Monsterverse someday, iit perfectly encapsulates the awe more than the fear when Godzilla's in front of you which would fit for this Semi-Heroic King Godzilla..
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Bear McCreary produced the soundtrack to God of War: Arguably one of the best scores of video games and media in general of 2018. We are loooong past the days of video game music being associated with, “cheapness”, nor cheesiness.

#BotM

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The man was nominated for an emmy in 2015 for his "Outlander" score. To imply that he's associated with "video game cheapness" (as if that's even an insult, his "God of War" ost was incredible) is just ignorant buffoonery stemming from a stereotype and a misconception.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla165 wrote:Bear McCreary produced the soundtrack to God of War: Arguably one of the best scores of video games and media in general of 2018. We are loooong past the days of video game music being associated with, “cheapness”, nor cheesiness.
We were past it back in 2000 when Silent Hill games started having vocals.

EDIT: Scratch that, we were past it in 1997 with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:Bear McCreary produced the soundtrack to God of War: Arguably one of the best scores of video games and media in general of 2018. We are loooong past the days of video game music being associated with, “cheapness”, nor cheesiness.
We were past it back in 2000 when Silent Hill games started having vocals.

EDIT: Scratch that, we were past it in 1997 with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRmpU0RZOdU
In my opinion, were never in it to begin with. We had stuff like this back in 1994 and if we really wanna go back, The Legend of Zelda theme in 1986 was super basic considering it's limitations, but nothing to sneeze at imho.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Living Corpse wrote:
Not really. I've been decrying the cheesy chanting from the second I heard it, and it killed the soundtrack.

Also, outside of TohoKingdom, I've seen exactly one singular critic praise the film's score. But I'm sure that's just the conspiratorial bias of the critics again. :roll:

"Bear" didn't try hard enough, I'm afraid.

Added in 4 minutes 19 seconds:
Dv-218 wrote: Do some actual research before spouting idiotic remarks like this.
What kind of "research"? Research into how objectively kewl it is to use a translation app to get some Babylonian exposition you can chant over a song already written for you 60 years ago? No thanks.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Not really. I've been decrying the cheesy chanting from the second I heard it, and it killed the soundtrack.

Also, outside of TohoKingdom, I've seen exactly one singular critic praise the film's score. But I'm sure that's just the conspiratorial bias of the critics again. :roll:

Oh wow you even started trying to call him names. What are you, 8?

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Godzilla165 wrote:We are loooong past the days of video game music being associated with, “cheapness”, nor cheesiness.
When did I say otherwise? I said "Bear"'s music was cheap and cheesy and belonged in video games. At no point did I say all video game music was cheap and cheesy.

By the way, there's no reason at all I needed to clarify that for you (and all the others agreeing with what you said). Read more carefully before your emotions take over, it'll help you avoid tearing down strawmen in the future.

Added in 2 minutes 17 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

Lmao. Calling him what he calls himself = "calling him names"? I think you should ask him why he calls himself names.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:We are loooong past the days of video game music being associated with, “cheapness”, nor cheesiness.
When did I say otherwise? I said "Bear"'s music was cheap and cheesy and belonged in video games. At no point did I say all video game music was cheap and cheesy.

By the way, there's no reason at all I needed to clarify that for you (and all the others agreeing with what you said). Read more carefully before your emotions take over, it'll help you avoid tearing down strawmen in the future.

GuardianGhido wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:

Lmao. Calling him what he calls himself = "calling him names"? I think you should ask him why he calls himself names.
Pretty sure he doesn't use air quotes while callimg himself a name that coincidentially happens to be an animal's name to emphasize the fact that some edgy dude with no life is trying too hard to insult him by subtly comparing him to the animal and denying the fact that he's doing so.

But eh, you do have a point, maybe I'm looking too much into it, "Hatebonerbreh"
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The music is fine. Bear is great. The chants are welcome. The general consensus is the score was wonderful.

Imagine listening to critics about what the score should sound like?

Talk about a hand puppet.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GuardianGhido wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:

GuardianGhido wrote: Oh wow you even started trying to call him names. What are you, 8?
Pretty sure he doesn't use air quotes while callimg himself a name that coincidentially happens to be an animal's name to emphasize the fact that some edgy dude with no life is trying too hard to insult him by subtly comparing him to the animal and denying the fact that he's doing so.

But eh, you do have a point, maybe I'm looking too much into it, "Hatebonerbreh"
How do you do air quotes via text? Lol.

Other than that, I don't even understand what you're talking about. Again, perhaps you should calm down a bit and take it slow typing. Not only will it help you make more sense, but it will also help you avoid making multiple typos like you did in this post.

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:The music is fine. Bear is great. The chants are welcome. The general consensus is the score was wonderful.

Imagine listening to critics about what the score should sound like?

Talk about a hand puppet.
My only point was that disliking "Bear"'s soundtrack wasn't as outrageous as the people responding to me were acting like it was. Clearly, outside of the TK bubble, a lot of people weren't exactly impressed.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

You have to be just plain dense or willfully ignorant if you think the score was anything but critically acclaimed. Go to ANY site that reviews move scores and it’s rated exceptionally.

Looks at the reviews for the film itself and the score is generally thought to be one of the best parts of the film.

So I don’t know what universe you’re living in to think the score wasn’t received well but everyone else is living in the universe where it was.

Now, if YOU don’t like it that’s fine obviously. You’re an army of one and more power to you for fighting that fight. Just don’t get your personal feelings mistaken for critical consensus.