Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Shadowfyre
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Shadowfyre » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:40 am

Living Corpse wrote:
Shadowfyre wrote:Check the gvsk thread

No thanks, trying to avoid spoilers. :mrgreen:

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Is it really that big of a deal if we have to wait a few more months for it? It's not like the movie's getting canceled

God could you imagine if that happened? You have to jump through so many hoops just to get the rights to use King Kong, I feel like they'd rather release a bad movie than no movie at all.

Oh well, it's not a spoiler just some guy read it and didn't see anything

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:46 am

I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

If we hit December and we still have nothing then I will start being a little bit concerned. I personally just think there holding back on the marketing to start it later and have heavy marketing push till release.

The polar opposite of KOTM.

JGAR
EDF Soldier

Postby JGAR » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:57 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well with KotM underperforming its not really a surprise.

Underperforming shouldn’t be a difficulty to market this film though. They could’ve done something similar to Justice League and Aquaman.

Justice League, much like Godzilla: King of the Monsters, was a box office underperformance (arguably the highest grossing blockbuster flop) and was criticized by critics and audiences alike. It also had a very long marketing campaign, starting in SDCC 2016 (16 months before its release), another trailer 8 months before, another Comic-Con trailer at SDCC 2017, and a final one in October, a month before release in November.

Aquaman came out roughly a year later and had its first trailer in Comic-Con 2018 (5 months before release) and a final trailer in November, a month before its release in December. Whereas JL was a flop and the lowest grossing DCEU until Shazam came out, Aquaman surprised and became the highest grossing film in the franchise and the first DCEU film to cross $1B.

Warner Bros. could’ve done something similar here but GvK is only coming out roughly 10 months after KOTM (more recent and fresh in the minds of general audiences), and it’s 4 months away without nothing. A trailer should’ve come out by now, attached to Joker. That banner that came out months ago, was only released to the public because it was leaked. Meaning it wouldn’t have been released had it not been leaked.

At this point, it’s understandable to assume a delay for the film.
Last edited by JGAR on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 am

It's important to note that GVK is being publicly marketed to investors and other business types at the various licensing expos Toho has attended in the past month.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am

I remember that old 1994 scipt had an anti-atomic breath type of weapon that was shot into Godzilla, and kept him from using his breath against The Gryphon. That'd be kind of cool to see something like that against Kong, to limit him from just blasting him away. Imagine if they meet for the first time, and that's the tie breaker. But Godzilla get's shot with it later in a city environment, and Kong is able to hide and attack, using buildings and such as weapons. Then, once he has he upper hand and he's about to win, time runs out and Goji just blasts him.

kaijuguy19
Yin-Yang Master

Postby kaijuguy19 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:25 pm

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

If we hit December and we still have nothing then I will start being a little bit concerned. I personally just think there holding back on the marketing to start it later and have heavy marketing push till release.

I'm thinking of that as well. Movies that usually released in March tend to have trailers around November right? Like how Kong Skull Island got a full official trailer in November 2016 3 months before it's March release date. This could be the same here for Godzilla vs Kong which isn't a bad time when you think about since having it released around the Thanksgiving break is a good way to promote a trailer without too much hassle.

At least that's the hope I'm having. The Monsterverse NEEDS a giant hit this time around and having a late trailer isn't going to help in that.
Blue Robotic Motorcylce ladies FTW!!!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 am

I don't mind. The protracted promotion for KotM was pretty exhausting anyway. Still surprised at the overall lack of major leaks. I haven't even heard much about any test screenings or anything like that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:09 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I don't mind. The protracted promotion for KotM was pretty exhausting anyway. Still surprised at the overall lack of major leaks. I haven't even heard much about any test screenings or anything like that.

The premiere is the test screening
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:41 am

I saw an AMA from reddit of a guy who claimed to be at the test screening. He showed two images of a theater screen showing a scene of a city being destroyed. Looked like something out of Transformers, so I just brushed it off.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:49 am

KingKaiju wrote:I saw an AMA from reddit of a guy who claimed to be at the test screening. He showed two images of a theater screen showing a scene of a city being destroyed. Looked like something out of Transformers, so I just brushed it off.

Old and confirmed fake (from Battleship, but Transformers is close enough)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

G2000 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I saw an AMA from reddit of a guy who claimed to be at the test screening. He showed two images of a theater screen showing a scene of a city being destroyed. Looked like something out of Transformers, so I just brushed it off.

Old and confirmed fake (from Battleship, but Transformers is close enough)

I figured. Thank GOD! If Godzilla vs. Kong came out looking like either of those two films, I'd be VERY concerned.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Really enjoyed this film alot personally. Just about everything I could have wanted from a classic Showa era style of Godzilla films particularly Monster Zero and Destroy All Monsters. I get that its not particularly clever or intelligent but thats why I love Shin and the Anime Trilogy so much because they form a perfect counter balance to the more action focused MonsterVerse films.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 pm

Invisible Man trailer has been rated. GvK shouldn't be too far behind.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

DirektorSplennic
JXSDF Technician

Postby DirektorSplennic » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 am

cloverfan98 wrote:Really enjoyed this film alot personally. Just about everything I could have wanted from a classic Showa era style of Godzilla films particularly Monster Zero and Destroy All Monsters. I get that its not particularly clever or intelligent but thats why I love Shin and the Anime Trilogy so much because they form a perfect counter balance to the more action focused MonsterVerse films.

Another user who likes all the new movies?

I... I thought I was the only one.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

MrRockett wrote:Late to this quote but if that turd burglar ever even made any threatening comments to me I’d find him and hammer him through the floor, go to the kitchen and have his mom make me lunch then set her up on a date with some Hells Angels so she doesn’t have to endure the shame that came out of her womb on YouTube...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm completely ambivalent towards the film myself. It just didn't really engage me but then I'm pretty jaded towards Hollywood blockbusters and multi million dollar CGI these days.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:33 am

The guy who portrayed Godzilla’s common-cap was really cool. He was at GFes and was really nice.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:53 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The guy who portrayed Godzilla’s common-cap was really cool. He was at GFes and was really nice.

TJ Storm? Yeah he's a real cool guy and mocap actor. He really seems to enjoy being Godzilla too from what I've heard. The Ghidorah actors (Jason Liles, Alam Maxson and Richard Dorton) really enjoyed the King Ghidorah experience too. (The idea of tying 3 mocap actors together to play him was genius IMO)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The guy who portrayed Godzilla’s common-cap was really cool. He was at GFes and was really nice.

TJ Storm? Yeah he's a real cool guy and mocap actor. He really seems to enjoy being Godzilla too from what I've heard. The Ghidorah actors (Jason Liles, Alam Maxson and Richard Dorton) really enjoyed the King Ghidorah experience too. (The idea of tying 3 mocap actors together to play him was genius IMO)

In the brief interview he did, he said his firm Godzilla film was Godzilla vs. Hedorah. I might have a clip of that.

Despite some of my reservations of KOTM as a film, I had a big realization that a lot of fun and joy went into making the film, and over the weekend I realized that all the Godzilla films had that sense of fun going into it. The GMK guys were joking around a lot.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 am

One thing I really wish was more focused on, was the whole dynamic of shooting off the Oxygen Destroyer. The OD should’ve been established early and debated over several times. The film should have shown the DC officials making the decision to launch it. Then, we could’ve gotten a scene where Stenz and his fleet attempt to protect DC from Ghidorah, but fail because Godzilla isn’t there to save him. Stenz and DC reap what they sow, and Stenz dies with humility knowing this. That would’ve been way more interesting than what we actually got.

Jaqua92
Yojimbo

Postby Jaqua92 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:36 am

kaijuguy19 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

I'm thinking of that as well. Movies that usually released in March tend to have trailers around November right? Like how Kong Skull Island got a full official trailer in November 2016 3 months before it's March release date. This could be the same here for Godzilla vs Kong which isn't a bad time when you think about since having it released around the Thanksgiving break is a good way to promote a trailer without too much hassle.

At least that's the hope I'm having. The Monsterverse NEEDS a giant hit this time around and having a late trailer isn't going to help in that.

The Monsterverse is NEVER going to get a giant hit.

And I think they know this, hence they are going to try to market and release the movie in the most successful manner as possible.

Now, I've loved Godzilla since I was a kid. But the fact is, KOTM, Godzilla, Godzilla vs Kong are barely B list movies today. No amount of marketing is going to make it a bit. It will underperform, it will do bad, and it will get poor reviews because people don't care for Godzilla. If the Avengers are LeBron James, Godzilla is Jimmy Butler.

Nothing Legendary does will change the fact that 9/10 people aren't interested in Godzilla. So let's stop holding out hope for the Monsterverse to pump out a hit. It's not happening. Let's just support the movie for what it is, a modern day cgi Godzilla camp...which is what we all want anyway. I'll be happy with it. I also don't care that the movie will not be technically great or beloved.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”