Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:02 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Say what you want about G98 but Toonzilla earned the name.

I agree. ToonZilla was a Godzilla. Heck, even SnickersGoji was a Godzilla. G98 though is NOT GODZILLA. AND THAT IS THEOBJECTIVE TRUTH.

I don't think you know what the meaning of objective is...

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:03 am

tyrantgoji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Say what you want about G98 but Toonzilla earned the name.

I agree. ToonZilla was a Godzilla. Heck, even SnickersGoji was a Godzilla. G98 though is NOT GODZILLA. AND THAT IS THEOBJECTIVE TRUTH.

I'M TRIGGERED AND I HARDLY KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING AT THIS POINT. (I should probably take another break lol, at least from this thread.)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:04 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I agree. ToonZilla was a Godzilla. Heck, even SnickersGoji was a Godzilla. G98 though is NOT GODZILLA. AND THAT IS THEOBJECTIVE TRUTH.

I'M TRIGGERED AND I HARDLY KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING AT THIS POINT. (I should probably take another break lol, at least from this thread.)

Yes,go do that so i can say i like G98 without possibly getting attacked. :lol:

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:13 am

Too be fair it is kind of eye rolling when reviewers bring up and compare G'98 to KOTM as opposed to the movie it's a sequel to. It's just as random to me as comparing it to Shin, the anime films or G'54, other than the fact it's it's a U.S. Godzilla film they really aren't all that comparable, it's like apples and oranges. Yeah they're all Godzilla films but why not compare it to the film that came out 5 years ago, the one it's a sequel to? Or heck K:SI? Sure it's not a Godzilla film, but it's part of the same universe.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:59 am

Living Corpse wrote:Too be fair it is kind of eye rolling when reviewers bring up and compare G'98 to KOTM as opposed to the movie it's a sequel to. It's just as random to me as comparing it to Shin, the anime films or G'54, other than the fact it's it's a U.S. Godzilla film they really aren't all that comparable, it's like apples and oranges. Yeah they're all Godzilla films but why not compare it to the film that came out 5 years ago, the one it's a sequel to? Or heck K:SI? Sure it's not a Godzilla film, but it's part of the same universe.

G’98 was, for many people, their first real exposure to Godzilla (particularly in many markets where the Showa films never really made it like they did in America, like Hungary for example). It had a nigh-inescapable and all-pervasive marketing campaign and as far as I know is still getting shown on TV from time to time. Most of the people in their twenties and thirties now were children when this came out and grew up with this film being their only real knowledge of Godzilla. Maybe in another 20 years and a few hundred airings of the Monsterverse on TV Legendary will usurp Tristar’s place as the definitive Godzilla in the eyes of the American and international audiences, but I don’t know.

And at the risk of sounding like GuardianGhido, that’s why I continue to be kind of bitter that the De Bont film got shafted in favor of Emmerich and Devlin. It wouldn’t have been a perfect film, but it’s script was arguably better than G’98’s, and it wouldn’t have warped Western perspectives on the character nearly as much as what we got
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 am

G2000 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Too be fair it is kind of eye rolling when reviewers bring up and compare G'98 to KOTM as opposed to the movie it's a sequel to. It's just as random to me as comparing it to Shin, the anime films or G'54, other than the fact it's it's a U.S. Godzilla film they really aren't all that comparable, it's like apples and oranges. Yeah they're all Godzilla films but why not compare it to the film that came out 5 years ago, the one it's a sequel to? Or heck K:SI? Sure it's not a Godzilla film, but it's part of the same universe.

G’98 was, for many people, their first real exposure to Godzilla (particularly in many markets where the Showa films never really made it like they did in America, like Hungary for example). It had a nigh-inescapable and all-pervasive marketing campaign and as far as I know is still getting shown on TV from time to time. Most of the people in their twenties and thirties now were children when this came out and grew up with this film being their only real knowledge of Godzilla. Maybe in another 20 years and a few hundred airings of the Monsterverse on TV Legendary will usurp Tristar’s place as the definitive Godzilla in the eyes of the American and international audiences, but I don’t know.

And at the risk of sounding like GuardianGhido, that’s why I continue to be kind of bitter that the De Bont film got shafted in favor of Emmerich and Devlin. It wouldn’t have been a perfect film, but it’s script was arguably better than G’98’s, and it wouldn’t have warped Western perspectives on the character nearly as much as what we got

he was for me, love him to death but god that movie sucked
your source of self destruction

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:24 am

My take on G98 nowadays is "eh, I'm not mad anymore".

At the time I was bewildered and disappointed. I was 13 and blissfully ignorant to the red flags surrounding the film. I was just happy to be getting a big budget American Godzilla film, and then I saw it, and I was in a state of shock and anger. It was so bad, that when Phantom Menace came out a year later, I felt nothing. "Oh, you Star Wars fans think you have it bad? You don't know what pain is. THEY KILLED GODZILLA WITH MISSILES!!!!"

In the years that followed, we finally got stateside releases for the 90s Heisei films, I have seen two Japanese Godzilla films in theaters (G2K and Shin), I got a whole new series of 6 Godzilla films following the 98 film, I got a good big budget American made Godzilla film and a sequel that gave us Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan, and I've gotten arguably the best Godzilla comics ever made (Half Century War FTW).

It is hard for me to stay mad at a 21 year old film that disappointed me when I've gotten so much good stuff in the time that followed it. Granted, I still don't like the 98 film (to date, it is the only Godzilla movie I've watched less than 3 times) but again, I'm not mad at it anymore.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:15 am

All I wanna see is LegendaryGoji fighting TristarGoji... Just because we all know how that'd go. Beyond that... Meh, I don't like the 1998 film, so I don't watch it. I don't mind changes the character's look, but there are specific traits that Godzilla should have that Emmerich completely missed. We've all been through it a billion times, so no need to get into it. We've now had two good american-produced Godzilla films, with an accurate Godzilla. So it's all good.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 am

KingKaiju wrote:All I wanna see is LegendaryGoji fighting TristarGoji... Just because we all know how that'd go. Beyond that... Meh, I don't like the 1998 film, so I don't watch it. I don't mind changes the character's look, but there are specific traits that Godzilla should have that Emmerich completely missed. We've all been through it a billion times, so no need to get into it. We've now had two good american-produced Godzilla films, with an accurate Godzilla. So it's all good.

My thoughts exactly.

How much you wanna bet reviewers are gonna compare Godzilla vs Kong to G'1998? :roll:

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:06 am

Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:All I wanna see is LegendaryGoji fighting TristarGoji... Just because we all know how that'd go. Beyond that... Meh, I don't like the 1998 film, so I don't watch it. I don't mind changes the character's look, but there are specific traits that Godzilla should have that Emmerich completely missed. We've all been through it a billion times, so no need to get into it. We've now had two good american-produced Godzilla films, with an accurate Godzilla. So it's all good.

My thoughts exactly.

How much you wanna bet reviewers are gonna compare Godzilla vs Kong to G'1998? :roll:

Eh, it's expected at this point. People make a bigger deal than necessary. It's not even worth the time to go into it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:47 pm

WW1984 doesn't come out till June its its already getting a trailer. Still no word on GvK.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Moogabunga
G-Grasper

Postby Moogabunga » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:WW1984 doesn't come out till June its its already getting a trailer. Still no word on GvK.

WW isn't getting a trailer until December 8th, but yes WW will have a longer marketing campaign than GvK

Doesn't automatically mean anything positive or negative

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:28 pm

November trailer for sure. Liking the Thanksgiving talk.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:WW1984 doesn't come out till June its its already getting a trailer. Still no word on GvK.

Wonder Woman's last film made 821$ million World Wide, Last Godzilla film made 385$ million.

You can see why Warner will spend a little more money on a character pretty much guaranteed to make money then one that might potentially break even?

We will probably get more news regarding the films trailer by early November.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 am

WW1984 was also set to be released in December this year before being delayed.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 am

XxComablack1937xX wrote:

Wonder Woman's last film made 821$ million World Wide, Last Godzilla film made 385$ million.

You can see why Warner will spend a little more money on a character pretty much guaranteed to make money then one that might potentially break even?

We will probably get more news regarding the films trailer by early November.

Well it was either them or Legendary or both who were dumb to think the hype train from the trailers would last 10 months and move it up to compete with a bunch of movies including THE Marvel movie instead of just one Marvel movie.

Yeah I think their questionable way of marketing & releasing the movie had more to do with making less than they expected than the characters themselves.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am

Star Wars trailer just dropped last night. So hopefully that means Godzilla vs. Kong comes soon, to make sure that it didn't get pushed aside by Star Wars.

Moogabunga
G-Grasper

Postby Moogabunga » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm

KingKaiju wrote:Star Wars trailer just dropped last night. So hopefully that means Godzilla vs. Kong comes soon, to make sure that it didn't get pushed aside by Star Wars.

The new Bond trailer drops next, then it's GvK

*Talking about huge, anticipated trailers*
Last edited by Moogabunga on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGAR
EDF Soldier

Postby JGAR » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Allegedly ^
Yooo 8-)

dillonking55
Yin-Yang Master

Postby dillonking55 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm

KingKaiju wrote:Star Wars trailer just dropped last night. So hopefully that means Godzilla vs. Kong comes soon, to make sure that it didn't get pushed aside by Star Wars.

If this tweet is anything to go by, the trailer is definitely on its way (this guy works on trailers & I believe was the one to say it's coming soon along with SW & Bond)

https://twitter.com/ImAFilmEditor/statu ... 89472?s=19

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”