Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Terasawa wrote:...and I thought PacRim was horrible.

This isn't the thread for it, but that film hasn't aged well at all.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:You really shouldn't hold KOTM against Kong. They are plenty different. Just try to watch it before GvK.

It's not that I hold it against it for the more recent movie. It's that I'm not really a fan of modern "tentpole" films, like at all. When KOTM was nearing release I was actually very hyped for it because I thought it looked fun (lol). So, as part of that hype, I started to get really interested in KSI. If it hadn't been for KOTM I'm not sure I really would have been interested in it at all: except for it being a King Kong movie, and part of a Godzilla cinematic universe, it didn't look or seem like anything that was really up my alley. So that's what I mean when I say my reaction to KOTM stalled my interest in KSI.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:You really shouldn't hold KOTM against Kong. They are plenty different. Just try to watch it before GvK.

It's not that I hold it against it for the more recent movie. It's that I'm not really a fan of modern "tentpole" films, like at all. When KOTM was nearing release I was actually very hyped for it because I thought it looked fun (lol). So, as part of that hype, I started to get really interested in KSI. If it hadn't been for KOTM I'm not sure I really would have been interested in it at all: except for it being a King Kong movie, and part of a Godzilla cinematic universe, it didn't look or seem like anything that was really up my alley. So that's what I mean when I say my reaction to KOTM stalled my interest in KSI.

Ok.... well like we are saying, give it a shot. Its good fun. Come back and give us your thoughts
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Let me in on this rating thing too I guess.

1. Pacific Rim
2. Shin Godzilla
3. Kong: Skull Island
4. Pacific Rim Uprising
5. Rampage
6. King of the Monsters
7. Godzilla 2014

Don't think I missed anything. As low as KotM is it still doesn't irritate me near as much as G14 did. I also can't say PR is better than Shin Godzilla but Shin doesn't have the same rewatch value. The thing that separates my top three from the rest is just how stylish and inventive they are on a technical level.

Give KSI a shot. It is a very good looking movie at least and I feel it did the best job in the MV of fulfilling its intentions.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Smuggers » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:08 am

UltramanGoji wrote:Shin = PR > KSI > G14 > KOTM > Colossal > Rampage > Anime Trilogy > PRU

The truth.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:22 am

Should The Meg count? Megalodons are pretty big. Jaws probably isn't a Kaiju, although still pretty big for a Great White Shark.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 am

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Should The Meg count? Megalodons are pretty big. Jaws probably isn't a Kaiju, although still pretty big for a Great White Shark.

I don’t count The Meg, no. It’s not kaiju enough.

JesstrK
Interpol Agent

Postby JesstrK » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:58 am

Ok here we go.

KOTM = G14 > KSI > Shin Godzilla > Rampage > Pacific Rim > most of the anime trilogy.

There was a time when I would have said that KOTM was just better than G14, but on rewatch of both I’d say what G14 lacks in kaiju action compared to KOTM it makes up for with a better paced story, putting them on roughly equal footing.
I always enjoy showing the kaiju as actual characters rather than just plot devices, which is one big reason why both KOTM and G14 are number one for me, followed by KSI, and also one reason why PR and the Anime are comparatively low on the list. I didn’t find it’s human characters especially interesting either.
Speaking of human characters, pretty much all of the ones in the anime trilogy were jerks which is why it’s so low. Shin had some good human characters and drama, plus it was very unique.
Rampage gets some love from me for having some great fight scenes with three monsters at once, in broad daylight (!) and for also being a good example of how to not make a video game movie suck. Also The Rock’s character was fun. I haven’t seen Uprising so I can’t rank it.
Last edited by JesstrK on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrRockett
Interpol Agent

Postby MrRockett » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:08 am

Well done, differing opinions yet nobody arguing. I like it!
My list:
KOTM
PRIM
K:SI
G14
Shin
PRU
Ani x3

I’ve seen each several times, except the trilogy since once was enough for me, just didn’t click though I applaud the effort.

I’m now comfortable having digested all the movies, KOTM in the end seemed most like a Godzilla movie, decent plot and humans, good monster fights with creatures with personality and just a touch of silly,

PAC Rim, same thing as above with fun visuals, serious but doesn’t take itself too serious or dark, again a Japanese Monster/mech film in spirit.

K:SI was a visual movie, but it had more of a monster meets Spaghetti Western feel, not as much Asian influence which I liked because it had its own substance.

G14 was a proper reintroduction to Godzilla for the west, giving him character and apparent purpose, sadly a bit too little in the monster fight department but I was quite pleased with it as a reboot.

Shin was strange for me, decent story, odd but interesting take on Godzilla and a nice upgrade for a Togo production but not one I seek to watch.

PRU was Saturday morning cartoons meets live action. Downgrade from PRIM but ok for what it is.

Animated trilogy, so much potential, but too abstract for its own good.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea

People Currently In Timeout: 2 ernesth100, GodzillavsZilla and goji89

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:09 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:This isn't the thread for it, but that film hasn't aged well at all.

I’m going to have to ask in what ways you think it’s aged poorly
Genuinely curious. I can speculate as to why, but I’d like to hear it from you
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Olzh26
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Olzh26 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 am

G14>PR=KSI>Shin>Rampage>Anime=KOTM
Last edited by Olzh26 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:27 am

KSI>PR>Rampage=Shin>KOTM>PRU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anime.

Also,does Meg count?
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:30 am

tyrantgoji wrote:KSI>PR>Rampage=Shin>KOTM>PRU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anime.

Also,does Meg count?

No, considering the titular shark isn't a kaiju.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:31 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:KSI>PR>Rampage=Shin>KOTM>PRU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anime.

Also,does Meg count?

No, considering the titular shark isn't a kaiju.

Ah,dangit. If it did count though i would have made it tied with PR.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 am

Ooh, here's mine!

Shin >= KOTM = PR >= K:SI >> Rampage > G14 >>> PR:U >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anime

Shin is totally Kino or whatever it is you kids call it nowadays, no other film has really captured 54's vibe this well

KOTM and PR are both epic, fun and very well done movies. Great tributes to the Kaiju genre that really wowed me with their amazing visuals and giant monster/robot fight choreography. I loved every second of these.

K:SI is both fun and a great movie but not quite as epic. It does have some amazing fight choreography, but the fights aren't really that...grand for lack of a better term. I do really like everything they did with Kong though, the director really managed to make a Kong that belongs in the MV.

Rampage is dumb and bland but at least it's fun. It's a good turn-your-brain-off kaiju movie that shows the monsters throughout the movie and has some good fights, but it's also lighthearted fun that doesn't take itself seriously.

G14 is boring as hell, but the last 5 minutes are kinda worth it I guess. A lot of people loved it, but I find it mostly a snoozefest when the monsters aren't around.

Now, PR:U is fun and all but being fun doesn't save it from being utter crap, and I hate how it poops all over the first entry with what it did to Mako among tons of other things they skreeonked up.

And last and least, the Anime Trilogy. The Absolute worst Godzilla ever. Second only to my berserk button. It's a mind numbingly boring pile of poop with confusing as hell morals, almost zero kaiju action, telling but not showing and letdowns filled to the brim with completely wasted potential. It's only above my berserk button because it's still Godzilla and I don't have a hateboner for it.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 am

GuardianGhido wrote:Ooh, here's mine!

Shin >= KOTM = PR >= K:SI >> Rampage > G14 >>> PR:U >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anime

Shin is totally Kino or whatever it is you kids call it nowadays, no other film has really captured 54's vibe this well

KOTM and PR are both epic, fun and very well done movies. Great tributes to the Kaiju genre that really wowed me with their amazing visuals and giant monster/robot fight choreography. I loved every second of these.

K:SI is both fun and a great movie but not quite as epic. It does have some amazing fight choreography, but the fights aren't really that...grand for lack of a better term. I do really like everything they did with Kong though, the director really managed to make a Kong that belongs in the MV.

Rampage is dumb and bland but at least it's fun. It's a good turn-your-brain-off kaiju movie that shows the monsters throughout the movie and has some good fights, but it's also lighthearted fun that doesn't take itself seriously.

G14 is boring as hell, but the last 5 minutes are kinda worth it I guess. A lot of people loved it, but I find it mostly a snoozefest when the monsters aren't around.

Now, PR:U is fun and all but being fun doesn't save it from being utter crap, and I hate how it poops all over the first entry with what it did to Mako among tons of other things they skreeonked up.

And last and least, the Anime Trilogy. The Absolute worst Godzilla ever. Second only to my berserk button. It's a mind numbingly boring pile of poop with confusing as hell morals, almost zero kaiju action, telling but not showing and letdowns filled to the brim with completely wasted potential. It's only above my berserk button because it's still Godzilla and I don't have a hateboner for it.

You know your hateboner,legally speaking,is still Godzilla right? Toho has confirmed it as such and it's still bundeled with the other Godzilla films.

GmkGoji
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GmkGoji » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am

This is mine.
G:KOTM>Kong Skull island>Pacific rim>G 2014>Shin>PR:U>Rampage>Meg>anime
Are we dead?
Or is this Ohio?

Shoopwoop17
Samurai

Postby Shoopwoop17 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am

G14=Shin>KSI>PR>KOTM>Anime

I have trouble comparing '14 and Shin because the films are so different. '14 was my first in theater Godzilla film, and it's use of suspense and scale still gets me to this day. But Shin is just so damn good. A little slow, but good. Skull Island is more fun than Pacific Rim (though Pacific Rim has such a fantastic style), and while KOTM is fun, I really only like it for it's depictions of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah.

The anime trilogy I really only watched to keep the title of having watched every Godzilla film.

Also PR:U does not deserve to be on this list.
Last edited by Shoopwoop17 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 am

Mine: Shin>>>KOTM=K:SI>PR>Anime=PRU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>G14
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:42 am

My turn!

Shin > G14 = G:KOTM > PR > KSI >>> Rampage >>> Anime Trilogy >>>>>>>>>>>>> PR:U

Shin is my favorite Godzilla movie since the Heisei series at least. Very well made. (A)

The two MonsterVerse Godzilla films made me happy. I got to see two competently made big budget US Godzilla films, something I never thought I'd see. G14 gave me a slow burn type of movie with great suspense and style and KOTM gave me a throwback to the 60s with a big monster mash. Both had their major pluses and issues, but were both entertaining experiences in their own way. (B+ for both)

Pacific Rim is just plain fun. I love the world. I love all the little details, and the monsters and robots on display are just freaking cool. As a completely original property not based on anything pre-existing, this movie felt like it fit in with the genre about as well as a modern movie can. (B+)

Skull Island was a perfectly enjoyable King Kong movie and I was glad to finally see another film where Kong didn't get knocked off a tall building. Still, the script needed a little bit of cleaning up. Still, a fun time was had. (B-)

Rampage...I didn't hate it, but I found it somewhat forgettable. It was just...there. That said, it is probably the best video game adaptation ever put to the big screen. Usually I expect freaking awful out of those films, and this time I at least wasn't in pain while watching it. Rock, as usual, was charming and carried the movie as best he could. (C)

The Anime Trilogy is an unfortunate misfire. Great opportunity, great premise, less than stellar execution. I wasn't a fan of the visual style, there was way too much filler, and the Mechagodzilla incident in Part 2 was probably the single most egregious sin in the history of Godzilla films (and yes, I'm including GINO-Zilla in that). There were moments that kept me from hating it completely, but they still dropped the ball. (D)

Pacific Rim: Uprising was one of the top ten worst movies I have ever seen in theaters, and I sat through Dr. Dolittle 2 and Yogi Bear. It took all the great little details from the first movie and threw it in a garbage can, the cast is beyond annoying, and there is very little to enjoy about the movie. The ONLY minor positive about the film is Charlie Day and the reveal of what happened to his character. It is the only remotely interesting thing in the film. Other than that, this is a complete waste of time, and squashed any hope I had of Pac Rim becoming a major movie franchise. (F)

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”