Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BlankAccount »

They should have stuck with the March release date. I know it's have to compete with a Marvel movie but at least said movie wouldn't be Endgame.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Smuggers wrote:The awkward marketing and the fact that they sat on this movie for so long (Finished in November, released in May) makes me think they weren't really sure what to do with it.
I heard early screenings were pretty negative, wonder if that’s why.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stump Feet wrote: I heard early screenings were pretty negative, wonder if that’s why.
But dude, gottatalktothefake counted up and tallied that most people in the test screenings liked it! Just a shame that didn't approximate the RT score by any means......
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Stump Feet wrote:
Smuggers wrote:The awkward marketing and the fact that they sat on this movie for so long (Finished in November, released in May) makes me think they weren't really sure what to do with it.
I heard early screenings were pretty negative, wonder if that’s why.
They clearly couldn't appreciate all the easter eggs.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It must have been really negative because the person I spoke with said a lot was cut for the final product, like the cast praying Millie Bobby Brown back to life, which apparently garnered a huge groan.

Added in 1 minute 40 seconds:
Smuggers wrote: They clearly couldn't appreciate all the easter eggs.
Clearly. The amount of Easter eggs should have definitely kept this film afloat, the GA and critics are all a bunch of dumbasses who wouldn’t know “art” if it crawled up their butts and laid eggs :roll:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Stump Feet wrote:It must have been really negative because the person I spoke with said a lot was cut for the final product, like the cast praying Millie Bobby Brown back to life, which apparently garnered a huge groan.
lol, man I heard the cut was drastically different but I didn't hear about that
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:It must have been really negative because the person I spoke with said a lot was cut for the final product, like the cast praying Millie Bobby Brown back to life, which apparently garnered a huge groan.
I don’t have a whole lot of details other than Kyle and Vera get down on their knees, bow their heads, and ask God to give her back, then she wakes up.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Stump Feet wrote: I don’t have a whole lot of details other than Kyle and Vera get down on their knees, bow their heads, and ask God to give her back, then she wakes up.
This is simultaneously too stupid to be true yet completely in line with the film

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Stump Feet wrote: I don’t have a whole lot of details other than Kyle and Vera get down on their knees, bow their heads, and ask God to give her back, then she wakes up.
This is simultaneously too stupid to be true yet completely in line with the film
I probably wouldn’t have had a problem with it if after the prayer, the clouds opened up to a bright light and god’s hand giving a thumbs up before she woke.
Long Live The Sting

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Well I'll be damned. I didn't notice the wicked smirk when I first watched the film. The MV Rodan just continues to make me love him.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I thought he was angry.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Doesn’t look like he’s smirking to me, looks like he’s slightly opening his mouth but whatever I guess
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's a subtle but effective expression, as if he knows the jet right next to him is food
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Oh yeah that's a full on villain smirk right there lol.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Stump Feet wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
I don’t have a whole lot of details other than Kyle and Vera get down on their knees, bow their heads, and ask God to give her back, then she wakes up.
He wrote two posts on the subject, the first one listing it among other changes:
fake wrote:Spoke to a friend of mine who was in the early test screening in March of last year. Here's what we figured out were the main changes

1. The Senate hearing wasn't in the screening at all. It was added based on feedback from the screening group to give context to the movie. Previously Watanabe and Hawkins just show up to meet Chandler
2. There was an extended sequence between Antarctica and Mexico which was a lot of exposition dumping. That was cut and the exposition is now parceled out in batches throughout the movie
3. There was a very cringeworthy moment where they pray MBB's character back to life. This scene is still in the cut I watched but changed a lot where you can see what the original scene would have been but this works much better and isn't cringeworthy anymore
4. Lots of ADR dialogue so that audiences don't get confused was added in
5. This is a big one, Charles Dance died in his cut and the family survived. I think Farmiga dying works way better

Other differences were pretty minor overall.
When he goes into detail though it really doesn't seem quite as bad, though maybe it's just lost in translation and it is a second-hand account
fake wrote:MBB runs off to her house in Boston. Farmiga and Chandler are searching for her and are bickering with each other, Ice Cube Jr says "If you were my parents I would have ran away from home a long time ago" and they realize she's gone home.

The battle between Ghidorah and Godzilla causes earthquakes which cause the home to collapse. When they get there, MBB is in the rubble. In the cut my friend watched, this is an extended scene where they hold on to her body and cry and pray like "Oh God, please don't let her die" and then she wakes up after a while. In the cut I watched, she's in the rubble, they get there and hold her body and then she wakes up like people wake up in movies when they have been drowning - with a dramatic cough. As you can see, the first version was pretty cringey, the new version is much better.
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I've been out of the loop:
What/how much footage was cut, and does any of it significantly improve the film at all?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Roughly 30 minutes from what I've heard.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Dracosaurian wrote:Well I'll be damned. I didn't notice the wicked smirk when I first watched the film. The MV Rodan just continues to make me love him.

Great shot! I hope he plays a significant part in the sequel and isn't taken out in the first few minutes
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

The reason this film flopped was because critics hate Godzilla and kaiju and monster movies, and they're being paid by disney, and they have an agenda.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

KingKaiju wrote:The reason this film flopped was because critics hate Godzilla and kaiju and monster movies, and they're being paid by disney, and they have an agenda.
Looks like Gfan90s has taken over KingKaiju's account!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.