Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Gigantis »

Moogabunga wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Hell yeah. I saw Dougherty a few weeks ago and I was going to compliment him on the Rodan stuff as my favorite aspect of the film but he seemed in a hurry
I saw Mike Dougherty at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how much I had enjoyed KoTM and how good a director he was, but that I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
meme
It's a reference. Before the film came out someone typed out the same message to troll people and some fell for it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It's been a thing a lot longer than that, I've seen it used for Gareth Edwards and JVR back in the day. It's one of those infamous copy pastas like the #Slattern King thing
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

One of my favorite parts about Rodan's sequence is how it shows Rodan as being an absolute beast when in combat, but when Ghidorah shows up he completely mops the floor with him. Really makes Ghidorah seem like the "big bad".

I also love the smirk Rodan gives to the one jet before barrel rolling.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

The Rodan sequence showed how scary fast Rodan can be in the air, he could have easily caught up with the Argo if he didn’t bother slaughtering the jets.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Can we all agree that Rodan is the true alpha? Like think about it, this SOB lives in a volcano, gets in a dogfight immediately after being woken up after millions of years, gets chest blasted by Ghidorah without sustaining any real injury, somehow survives the fucking Oxygen Destroyer, gets stabbed through the chest and out the back by Mothra, survives Burning Godzilla's nuclear pulses, and still has the balls to consider fighting Godzilla even after all that shit.

Long Live The Birb.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

I am sure that in the case with the oxygen destroyer and nuclear pulses, Rodan was just at a far distance from the affected area, and therefore he survived.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Yeah Rodan was probably more than 2 miles away from the OD's blast and the Nuclear Pulses and Nuclear Stomp* were mostly focused on King Ghidorah anyway so they had little area of effect.

*(I believe it was more than just a regular stomp, but rather a stomp that transferred all the Nuclear Energy of the Burning form into Ghidorah, causing an overloaded explosion from Ghidorah's Gravity Beam Producing organ, hence Nuclear Stomp)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Is this movie the first time we've seen humans get vaporized by an energy blast from a monster that wasn't Godzilla?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Living Corpse wrote:Is this movie the first time we've seen humans get vaporized by an energy blast from a monster that wasn't Godzilla?
I think so. Can't think of anything other examples

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Gojira18 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Is this movie the first time we've seen humans get vaporized by an energy blast from a monster that wasn't Godzilla?
I think so. Can't think of anything other examples
Yeah, makes we wish we got more of it. Watching King Ghidorah fire into a crowd of fleeing evacuees would be awesome!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

To be honest, I kind of wish they had used the music from the HBO trailer when Godzilla rose from the ice and squared off against Ghidorah, in the actual movie. It was serene, oddly beautiful, yet very tense. I still loved the usage of Old Rivals, though. It’s just the former would have done a good job in making that scene feel more like a, “monster opera”, I feel.

#BotM

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Godzilla165 wrote:To be honest, I kind of wish they had used the music from the HBO trailer when Godzilla rose from the ice and squared off against Ghidorah, in the actual movie. It was serene, oddly beautiful, yet very tense. I still loved the usage of Old Rivals, though. It’s just the former would have done a good job in making that scene feel more like a, “monster opera”, I feel.
I agree they should left the music for when Ghidorah rises out of the ice - it's far superior in that HBO/WonderCon footage. However, Godzilla's music for his entrance in the actual film is way better than it was in the preview footage
Last edited by Moogabunga on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The preview footage had glaringly bad editing lol
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mogera does it in The Mysterians and Destoroyah's micro-oxygen ray does some funky disintegration thing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Terasawa wrote:
Mogera does it in The Mysterians and Destoroyah's micro-oxygen ray does some funky disintegration thing.
I'd have to rewatch Mysterians but yeah I forgot about the cops in Godzilla vs. Destroyer.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote:
I forgot about that scene. I have a bunch of old films I need to revisit
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
I'd have to rewatch Mysterians but yeah I forgot about the cops in Godzilla vs. Destroyer.
26 seconds in.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
26 seconds in.
My god. They've been turned into stock explosion effects. A fate worse than death.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

G2000 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Hell yeah. I saw Dougherty a few weeks ago and I was going to compliment him on the Rodan stuff as my favorite aspect of the film but he seemed in a hurry
I saw Mike Dougherty at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how much I had enjoyed KoTM and how good a director he was, but that I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Didn't you or someone else post this last year?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Chris55 wrote:Didn't you or someone else post this last year?
It's definitely copypasta-worthy if not.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."