Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vandarker
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vandarker »

Gojira18 wrote:
Vandarker wrote:Just to be clear, the ecoterrorists and Dr Russel had different objectives in mind while awakening the Titans. Dr Russel believed that the titans would be peaceful in nature, or at least they could use the ORCA to pacify them so that they would restore the environment without attacking humanity. The government wasn't getting convinced by this and they wanted to kill the titans (probably with the Oxygen Destroyer or nukes) before they woke up, so they were running out of time and she had to take drastic measures. But Ghidorah waking the titans all at once and controlling them to destroy human civilization was definitely not what she had in mind.

Jonah however wanted very much for the titans to destroy humanity, and he fooled Dr Russel into believing that they had the same objective. So he was surprised but also glad that Ghidorah was doing his job for him. Dr Russel realizes this too late.

So nobody really knew what Ghidorah was truly capable of. Both Jonah and Dr Russel believed that the ORCA was the only way of controlling the titans when in reality, Ghidorah's ability was even more powerful.
That makes more sense..... But I still must ask:
If MONARCH knew what Ghidorah was capable of and that he would be basically the Devil Incarnate, why wouldn't Dr. Russel know that as well? Especially since she worked with MONARCH in the past? I mean, did NONE of her coworkers tell her about this demonic 3 headed dragon and tell her "don't free him or he'll destroy the world"?
Monarch also didn't know. They only vaguely knew that this titan was bigger and more dangerous than the rest, and didn't realize he was a complete abnormality. Both Monarch and Dr Russel didn't even know that the ORCA wasn't going to work on him, and they sure didn't know he was an alien invader capable of destroying the entire world. They only learn of this after the Mexico battle, when they truly see what Ghidorah is capable of, and when Dr Chen digs through some ancient texts to discover he's an alien AND the freaking Dragon of the Revelation.
Last edited by Vandarker on Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Vandarker wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Vandarker wrote:Just to be clear, the ecoterrorists and Dr Russel had different objectives in mind while awakening the Titans. Dr Russel believed that the titans would be peaceful in nature, or at least they could use the ORCA to pacify them so that they would restore the environment without attacking humanity. The government wasn't getting convinced by this and they wanted to kill the titans (probably with the Oxygen Destroyer or nukes) before they woke up, so they were running out of time and she had to take drastic measures. But Ghidorah waking the titans all at once and controlling them to destroy human civilization was definitely not what she had in mind.

Jonah however wanted very much for the titans to destroy humanity, and he fooled Dr Russel into believing that they had the same objective. So he was surprised but also glad that Ghidorah was doing his job for him. Dr Russel realizes this too late.

So nobody really knew what Ghidorah was truly capable of. Both Jonah and Dr Russel believed that the ORCA was the only way of controlling the titans when in reality, Ghidorah's ability was even more powerful.
That makes more sense..... But I still must ask:
If MONARCH knew what Ghidorah was capable of and that he would be basically the Devil Incarnate, why wouldn't Dr. Russel know that as well? Especially since she worked with MONARCH in the past? I mean, did NONE of her coworkers tell her about this demonic 3 headed dragon and tell her "don't free him or he'll destroy the world"?
Monarch also didn't know. They only vaguely knew that this titan was bigger and more dangerous than the rest, and didn't realize he was a complete abnormality. Both Monarch and Dr Russel didn't even know that the ORCA wasn't going to work on him, and they sure didn't know he was an alien invader capable of destroying the entire world. They only learn of this after the Mexico battle, when they truly see what Ghidorah is capable of, and when Dr Chen digs through some ancient texts to discover he's an alien AND the freaking Dragon of the Revelation.
Well, if Dr. Chen had those texts, why didn't they read those earlier?

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Gojira18 wrote:
Vandarker wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: That makes more sense..... But I still must ask:
Well, if Dr. Chen had those texts, why didn't they read those earlier?
They probably didn't give those too much attention because, well, they are vaguely worded ancient texts. For example, Rodan is referred to as the "Fire Demon" in ancient lore, and while he is dangerous and aggressive, he isn't outright evil or uncontrollable like Ghidorah, nor does he have weird abilities. Which is probably what they thought of Ghidorah as well.

The texts only seem to vaguely indicate that Ghidorah is different from the rest, and the ancients apparently considered it a taboo to even mention his name so there wasn't much information about him in the first place. There was no way they could have known what Ghidorah is capable of beforehand. It is only when they witness it firthand that the texts also start making sense.
Last edited by Vandarker on Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Hokmuto wrote:
LockBite wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Uh yeah, but if Ghidorah wasn't killed he would have manipulated the Titans to his own will to help him with his terraforming goals.
That’s extremely disappointing :| . They should’ve had the Titans start waking up randomly and then Ghidorah makes them evil. Otherwise it’s arguably a good thing that Emma broke out Ghidorah.

Seems like the only moral takeaway from this movie is that you don’t skreeonk with Godzilla :?
What? Uh....The Titans became chaotic because of Ghidorah. When Godzilla defeats Ghidorah, they go back to their normal, peaceful ways which leads to climate change being resolved. A takeaway you get from the movie is that humans must not upset the balance of nature and to live in harmony with it.
Do you think that the titans consciously restore the ecosystem, defecating on the trees? Lol)

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Probably not any more than when you or I do it

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Shadowfyre wrote:Probably not any more than when you or I do it
Yup

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jonah however wanted very much for the titans to destroy humanity, and he fooled Dr Russel into believing that they had the same objective. So he was surprised but also glad that Ghidorah was doing his job for him even better than expected. Dr Russel realizes this too late.

The other thing to point out, because we haven't discussed it and it's obviously not in the trailers, but all of this is EMMA RUSSELL'S doing. As Jonah says at one point, all of this is Dr. Russell's plan and plot - SHE reaches out to and recruits HIM not vice-versa as a lot of the spoilers kinda made it sound. Also, Madison Russell is a willing and fully aware participant in the plot.

The original plan was to release each of the Titans one by one, causing a slow-enough civilization-ending apocalypse that most of humanity would survive. There was no intention by Russel or Jonah to keep them pacified, they fully expected them to cause havoc and destroy the world. Madison doesn't really grasp what that means until Isla del Mara, when they are preparing to release Rodan while the nearby village still hasn't been evacuated. She urges her mother to wait, Jonah reminds her that this is her plan and she came to him to make it happen while chiding Madison saying, "We don't have time for this. What did you think we were doing here, girl? Did mommy make you think nobody was going to get hurt?" Dr. Russell sides with Jonah and she wakes up Rodan (which, a little while later, leads to Madison's "You're a monster" line from the first trailer).

Ghidorah, however, screws up the plan. Dr. Russell and Jonah only figure out that Ghidorah is actually destroying the environment and waking up all the monsters all at once at the same time as Monarch figures out he's actually an alien (Jonah asks, "I thought we were going to wake them one at a time?" and she replies "I'm not doing this, we're not in control any more"). Dr. Russell wants to delay the plan, drawing all the monsters to Boston to while she figures out how to take control back, while Jonah wants to continue as he thinks Ghidorah is actually speeding things up and getting it done even better than they hoped.

The two never have a falling out, and Emma never REALLY has a heel-face-turn back to good. Madison takes off with the Orca, having overheard their conversation and now thoroughly regretting her part in all of this, and sets it off to draw the monsters to Boston. Emma figures out what's happened and wants to go after her - Jonah's men try to stop her, but she tells Jonah she'd lost one child and won't lose another (pulling a gun to make her point) so Jonah lets her go, saying they now have everything they need.

So, yeah. Charles Dance is a villain, but arguably the real villain is Vera Farmiga while Charles Dance is really just...her Dragon, I guess?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Pkmatrix wrote:

Jonah however wanted very much for the titans to destroy humanity, and he fooled Dr Russel into believing that they had the same objective. So he was surprised but also glad that Ghidorah was doing his job for him even better than expected. Dr Russel realizes this too late.

The other thing to point out, because we haven't discussed it and it's obviously not in the trailers, but all of this is EMMA RUSSELL'S doing. As Jonah says at one point, all of this is Dr. Russell's plan and plot - SHE reaches out to and recruits HIM not vice-versa as a lot of the spoilers kinda made it sound. Also, Madison Russell is a willing and fully aware participant in the plot.

The original plan was to release each of the Titans one by one, causing a slow-enough civilization-ending apocalypse that most of humanity would survive. There was no intention by Russel or Jonah to keep them pacified, they fully expected them to cause havoc and destroy the world. Madison doesn't really grasp what that means until Isla del Mara, when they are preparing to release Rodan while the nearby village still hasn't been evacuated. She urges her mother to wait, Jonah reminds her that this is her plan and she came to him to make it happen while chiding Madison saying, "We don't have time for this. What did you think we were doing here, girl? Did mommy make you think nobody was going to get hurt?" Dr. Russell sides with Jonah and she wakes up Rodan (which, a little while later, leads to Madison's "You're a monster" line from the first trailer).

Ghidorah, however, screws up the plan. Dr. Russell and Jonah only figure out that Ghidorah is actually destroying the environment and waking up all the monsters all at once at the same time as Monarch figures out he's actually an alien (Jonah asks, "I thought we were going to wake them one at a time?" and she replies "I'm not doing this, we're not in control any more"). Dr. Russell wants to delay the plan, drawing all the monsters to Boston to while she figures out how to take control back, while Jonah wants to continue as he thinks Ghidorah is actually speeding things up and getting it done even better than they hoped.

The two never have a falling out, and Emma never REALLY has a heel-face-turn back to good. Madison takes off with the Orca, having overheard their conversation and now thoroughly regretting her part in all of this, and sets it off to draw the monsters to Boston. Emma figures out what's happened and wants to go after her - Jonah's men try to stop her, but she tells Jonah she'd lost one child and won't lose another (pulling a gun to make her point) so Jonah lets her go, saying they now have everything they need.

So, yeah. Charles Dance is a villain, but arguably the real villain is Vera Farmiga while Charles Dance is really just...her Dragon, I guess?
Pretty much sums everything up
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Viento Norte
Yojimbo

Post by Viento Norte »

¿This scene is during Boston fight?

Tomorrow the reviews will go out...

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Viento Norte wrote:¿This scene is during Boston fight?

Tomorrow the reviews will go out...
Yes
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Not that I recall but they did a brief montage of new reports about the Titans attacking where you clearly see Behemoth, the new Muto and Scylla attacking among other that you get quick not so clear glimpses of otherd so the Mountain Titan may be among them.
What are the colors for the new Titans?
Scylla's black and Behemoth is brown with some green patches
Green patches?! Really?! Where abouts?

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Sonic wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
I haven't seen the movie but I imagine it just means that the fur has random green on it like a sloth, due to plants growing.
When are you planning to see this movie, Sonic?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Sonic wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Like a sloth if I remember correctly it has some plants or algae growing in its fur

Added in 24 seconds:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:
Sonic wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Scylla's black and Behemoth is brown with some green patches
I haven't seen the movie but I imagine it just means that the fur has random green on it like a sloth, due to plants growing.
When are you planning to see this movie, Sonic?
Yep like a sloth

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

After the fall from the stratosphere was Godzilla almost dead? Did he somehow try to soften the fall with atomic breathing?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Olzh26 wrote:After the fall from the stratosphere was Godzilla almost dead? Did he somehow try to soften the fall with atomic breathing?
No

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:After the fall from the stratosphere was Godzilla almost dead? Did he somehow try to soften the fall with atomic breathing?
No
That is, a fall from the stratosphere did not cause him any damage at all?

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Olzh26 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
No
Pretty sure it almost kills him and if it weren’t for Mothra’s sacrifice he’d be laying there until Ghidorah finished him off :lol:

VoyagerDefault
Yojimbo

Post by VoyagerDefault »

Behemoth

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Olzh26 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
No
He knocked out cold I almost thought his dorsal fins shattered when he fell it caused a blue explosion but later them seemed intact

Added in 28 seconds:
VoyagerDefault wrote:Behemoth
Yes that's Behemoth

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

VoyagerDefault wrote:Behemoth
Where's this from?
Damn Behemoth sure lives up to his name, big fella.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon May 27, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.