Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gormaru hints that something might happen this week. The believe the new Empire comes out. This issue should be the 2020 preview.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

It's not. Nothing in the entire issue

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It's either gonna be November 3rd (small chance) or Thanksgiving (most likely).

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Shadowfyre wrote:It's not. Nothing in the entire issue
And what has brought you to that conclusion?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Apparently someone has read the issue already on Twitter

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Check the gvsk thread

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Just saw Gormaru post that there's nothing in the empire article.

So, no trailer, no update, no teaser, not even an article about this. We're 5 months out, and we got nothing. Can't say I'm feeling all too good. Hopefully I'm just overreacting.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Yea, but the tweet I assume people are referring to only says "quick flick through". What does that mean exactly? Just flipping pages? There's a chance it could have been missed, especially if it's just a paragraph.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Is it really that big of a deal if we have to wait a few more months for it? It's not like the movie's getting canceled
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Flashes forward a few months...

They....they canceled it!???

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Shadowfyre wrote:Check the gvsk thread
No thanks, trying to avoid spoilers. :mrgreen:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:Is it really that big of a deal if we have to wait a few more months for it? It's not like the movie's getting canceled
God could you imagine if that happened? You have to jump through so many hoops just to get the rights to use King Kong, I feel like they'd rather release a bad movie than no movie at all.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

KingKaiju wrote:Just saw Gormaru post that there's nothing in the empire article.

So, no trailer, no update, no teaser, not even an article about this. We're 5 months out, and we got nothing. Can't say I'm feeling all too good. Hopefully I'm just overreacting.
Nope, you're not overreacting at all. This is straight not a good sign. We should've had SOMETHING by now, but we've had diddly squat

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Well with KotM underperforming its not really a surprise.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Living Corpse wrote:
Shadowfyre wrote:Check the gvsk thread
No thanks, trying to avoid spoilers. :mrgreen:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:Is it really that big of a deal if we have to wait a few more months for it? It's not like the movie's getting canceled
God could you imagine if that happened? You have to jump through so many hoops just to get the rights to use King Kong, I feel like they'd rather release a bad movie than no movie at all.
Oh well, it's not a spoiler just some guy read it and didn't see anything

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

If we hit December and we still have nothing then I will start being a little bit concerned. I personally just think there holding back on the marketing to start it later and have heavy marketing push till release.

The polar opposite of KOTM.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well with KotM underperforming its not really a surprise.
Underperforming shouldn’t be a difficulty to market this film though. They could’ve done something similar to Justice League and Aquaman.

Justice League, much like Godzilla: King of the Monsters, was a box office underperformance (arguably the highest grossing blockbuster flop) and was criticized by critics and audiences alike. It also had a very long marketing campaign, starting in SDCC 2016 (16 months before its release), another trailer 8 months before, another Comic-Con trailer at SDCC 2017, and a final one in October, a month before release in November.

Aquaman came out roughly a year later and had its first trailer in Comic-Con 2018 (5 months before release) and a final trailer in November, a month before its release in December. Whereas JL was a flop and the lowest grossing DCEU until Shazam came out, Aquaman surprised and became the highest grossing film in the franchise and the first DCEU film to cross $1B.

Warner Bros. could’ve done something similar here but GvK is only coming out roughly 10 months after KOTM (more recent and fresh in the minds of general audiences), and it’s 4 months away without nothing. A trailer should’ve come out by now, attached to Joker. That banner that came out months ago, was only released to the public because it was leaked. Meaning it wouldn’t have been released had it not been leaked.

At this point, it’s understandable to assume a delay for the film.
Last edited by JGAR on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's important to note that GVK is being publicly marketed to investors and other business types at the various licensing expos Toho has attended in the past month.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I remember that old 1994 scipt had an anti-atomic breath type of weapon that was shot into Godzilla, and kept him from using his breath against The Gryphon. That'd be kind of cool to see something like that against Kong, to limit him from just blasting him away. Imagine if they meet for the first time, and that's the tie breaker. But Godzilla get's shot with it later in a city environment, and Kong is able to hide and attack, using buildings and such as weapons. Then, once he has he upper hand and he's about to win, time runs out and Goji just blasts him.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I am not singing the doom and gloom song because I am not expecting anything till end of November at least.

If we hit December and we still have nothing then I will start being a little bit concerned. I personally just think there holding back on the marketing to start it later and have heavy marketing push till release.

The polar opposite of KOTM.
I'm thinking of that as well. Movies that usually released in March tend to have trailers around November right? Like how Kong Skull Island got a full official trailer in November 2016 3 months before it's March release date. This could be the same here for Godzilla vs Kong which isn't a bad time when you think about since having it released around the Thanksgiving break is a good way to promote a trailer without too much hassle.

At least that's the hope I'm having. The Monsterverse NEEDS a giant hit this time around and having a late trailer isn't going to help in that.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I don't mind. The protracted promotion for KotM was pretty exhausting anyway. Still surprised at the overall lack of major leaks. I haven't even heard much about any test screenings or anything like that.