Fighting styles and tactics

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKaiju
Futurian

Fighting styles and tactics

Post by KingKaiju »

As the title indicates, let's talk fighting styles and tactics!!

So, what do we know so far? Godzilla's big and strong, he knows how to use his size to his advantage, he wrestles, he bites, he chokes, he pushes and pulls, he stomps. Basically, he fights like...*gasp* a bear!! Close quarters, he doesn't really scratch or punch, but he'll grab your neck, get the inside tie on your arms, and look to move you, he might even smack you with his tail. And then there's his atomic breath.

The MUTOS tag team, gangster style. One on one, they were at a disadvantage. Male Muto relies on his superior speed and flight in order to maintain distance and get in and out, he loved his "hook and swing" method of getting behind Godzilla, where he was away from the danger zone. But being so much smaller, it didn't take much for Godzilla to deal with him, once he got a shot in. The bigger female tackles and mauls, she's more physical, but because she came up short in the size department, she was at a disadvantage against Godzilla.

Kong is much more ape-like (DUH!!). He punches, slaps, smacks, rips, kicks, stomps, and throws. If Godzilla is the wrestler, looking to get the inside tie and breaking you down, Kong would be the muay thai fighter who looks to control wrists and grips in order to create an opening for a shot or throw. But, unlike the others so far, he knows how to use his environment to his advantage (using the tree as a bat, blade and chain, using the blade to cut, etc). It's going to be really fun to see him punch and grab Godzilla, as Godzilla tries to get in his face and overpower and wrestle him down, in 2020.

Now, that leaves Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. Let's speculate? Since these all seem to be based on animals that we know of, how to you think that these three will go at it, in hand-to-hand combat? Ghidorah is what fascinates me the most. In the past, he's been reliant on suit, which limits movement. But we've seen that because he's so much bigger, he's been able to throw off Godzilla and other large monsters. But he largely relied on his gravity bolts. And, while I really want to see that, I'd also like to see how he physically deals with Godzilla. Seeing as though he has no arms, I think it'd be really interesting is Ghidorah's fighting style was based on a fighting cock. Where they'd jump in the air long enough to claw and push at each other with their feet. I think it'd be really cool to see. Thoughts?

NOTE: I DO NOT SUPPORT COCK FIGHTING, I AM MERELY USING IT AS AN EXAMPLE.

I know this sounds like a breakdown of a prize fight. That's because, I'm using the same format I do when I break down fights. Thought it'd be a fun idea.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Fighting styles and tactics

Post by BlankAccount »

Male MUTO is a gymnast, he used Godzilla's neck to swing around.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:Male MUTO is a gymnast, he used Godzilla's neck to swing around.
Hey, it helped Robin become Batman's side kick. I say keep it up Muto!!!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KingKaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Male MUTO is a gymnast, he used Godzilla's neck to swing around.
Didn't say it was a bad thing, I say get monsters that can do that. Just cause the Monsterverse is gonna have less flashy powers doesn't mean we can't have cool fight scenes.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Didn't say it was a bad thing, I say get monsters that can do that. Just cause the Monsterverse is gonna have less flashy powers doesn't mean we can't have cool fight scenes.
Oh, I was just making a joke. I'm with you. There's a lot that can be done with CGI, so I'm hoping for some awesome fights.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I’m surprised no one mentioned the Skullcrawlers, specifically the Skull Devil, incredible agility and maneuverability of getting around their opponents. Especially in one scene where the Skull Devil uses her tail to grapple Kong and swing herself around while forcing Kong himself into the ground/water.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
in terms of gundams I'd rather have barbatos over strike freedom
your source of self destruction

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant28 wrote:I’m surprised no one mentioned the Skullcrawlers, specifically the Skull Devil, incredible agility and maneuverability of getting around their opponents. Especially in one scene where the Skull Devil uses her tail to grapple Kong and swing herself around while forcing Kong himself into the ground/water.
This. This is why I say Manda was wasted in Final Wars, had they had it fight Godzilla on land we could have had this.

And since I'm on the topic off Final Wars, it's funny that the Monsterverse used the MUTOs, Godzilla's and Skull Island creatures natural camouflage better than the Final Wars Kamacuras, I mean one's just dark natural colors at night (or even day time in Skull Island critters case) while the FW bends light and didn't have a pay off.

I'm tired so forgive the grammatical bullshit but I think you get what I'm trying to say. I'm a fan of stealth, and while Godzilla 2014 was too dark to see I still liked the concept, Skull Island fixed that issue allowing us to see how well monsters can blend in an environment without obscuring them. While GFW Kamacuras camouflage was kind of a wasted potential.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Holy crap. I feel so stupid. I watched that scene, before making this thread, and I still forgot to mention them.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

King Kong should be the master of Jeet Kong Do.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Much as I love traditional suits n' puppets, it will be interesting to see a Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra that aren't held down by the limitations of practical effects. I want to see Ghidorah make good use of his heads, rapidly biting and ramming from three angles at once to keep Godzilla on the defensive. Some tail attacks would be cool, too; the Pipeworks games did a good job of showing what's possible there. With Mothra and Rodan, I'd say we've more or less seen what they can do, but CGI will be able to deliver it with a lot more grace and believability. Not so much realism, though- I still want to see Rodan hover in place and peck the living hell out of his enemies at least once.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu May 17, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

JAGzilla wrote:I still want to see Rodan hover in place and peck the living hell out of his enemies at least once.
kinda like https://imgur.com/gallery/HxkHn2d :lol:
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Godzilla: Uses his stability as an advantage (since it's hard to push him over considering he has the tail as a great recovery). He uses his brute force to grab and push his opponents, then once they fall down from the sheer force he stomps on them. He also uses his powerful jaw to bite opponents and lift/swing them if they're small enough (aka Hokmuto), and he uses that massive fucking tail to send opponents flying. I think monsters like Kong, Rodan, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Female Muto could take a few hits of this tail since they aren't nearly half Godzilla's size and won't fall apart at the hit (again, Hokmuto).

King Kong: Very brutal fighter. He uses his long arms as a great reach advantage, keeping his opponents at bay before getting upclose. He's extremely smart, dexterous, and strong. Uses the environment to his advantage by destroying the ground causing the other to lose balance, throws big rocks/buildings at opponents blinding them temporarily before charging, uses chains and whatnot to trap and grapple opponents. His strength allows him to lift and throw over 8x his own strength, which he uses greatly in battle after getting his opponents into certain locks. He uses his intelligence and body shape to get out of all his opponents primary fight moves, he grapples them, and he's capable of breaking bones.

King Ghidorah: The most dangerous monster in the Monsterverse. His necks are extremely powerful, his fighting moves he can perform is using all necks to wrap around opponents and choking the life out of them. He also uses his tails to wrap around opponents and uses the clubs as a very powerful blunt force instrument. These clubs would hurt and are spikey, even penetrating Godzilla's skin drastically. We'd get a grand shot of him wrapping his necks around Godzilla who has blood and foam coming out of his mouth, and either Mothra or Rodan is being choked by the tails as the clubs are whacking the monster, and if that's Mothra then Rodan is the only one who's free, so he's pecking tf outta Ghidorah's wings and base necks. Idk, some cool shot like that. Ghidorah uses his beams too, but not excessively.
Image Image