Godzilla 2014: How would you have done it?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla 2014: How would you have done it?

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Its their own fault for not doing a better job at endearing us to Ford over Joe.
Yeah, "they killed Joe too early" was never the problem with the movie. They killed Joe, and it hurt, as it should have. The problem was failing to give us anybody else we'd be nearly as invested in once he was gone.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

TheSecondComing wrote:Also, in Bryan Cranston's unholy acting talent. See: the opening scene with Mrs. Brody trapped in the reactor.
Couldn't have said it myself better.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

eabaker wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Its their own fault for not doing a better job at endearing us to Ford over Joe.
Yeah, "they killed Joe too early" was never the problem with the movie. They killed Joe, and it hurt, as it should have. The problem was failing to give us anybody else we'd be nearly as invested in once he was gone.
That and Joe's death not only happens offscreen but it seems to have very little impact upon the rest of the film. I know it's supposed to give Ford a stronger drive to get back home to his family but the way he goes about it makes you kinda question his resolve to do just that.

I need to get back to my family but I'm gonna drag my feet and willingly go on a bunch of detours to get there.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri May 11, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

More data about my version because I'm narcissist who can't shut his mouth (?):

- MONARCH also be a paramilitary organization than simply a scientific organization. Akin of NERV of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
In my version of the story, Ford Brody would be a soldier, which would be part of an squadron of soldiers delegated to MONARCH by the UN, which would be placed to guard an strange crystal quarry in an classified island, somewhere at the eastern coast of the US.
- Krystalak would be dormant there, meanwhile Obsidius would be resting in Indonesia.
- Both Krystalak and Obsidius would be of extraterrestrial origin, but they wouldn't be as ancient as Godzilla, although they would have been there before humans.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

What if you had a Peter Parker (think Andrew Garfield) esque main character? He grows up thinking his dad left him when really his dad was someone who either fought against Godzilla or with Godzilla. I don't know, it sounds extremely cringe but I'm just spitballing here.
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I would’ve had Joe last at least until the halfway point and had the Monarch group express regret over keeping the MUTOs a secret.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Speaking as someone who liked the 2014 film, I can tell you that if I was given full control, my film would have been completely different.

And it would have been a movie that I think only I and other like minded people would enjoy, but again, I get full control in this hypothetical scenario, so I'm taking it.

First thing, I would strike a deal with the Henson Creature Shop to design and bring the monsters to life. I love the work they produced with films like Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, TMNT, and Return of the Jedi, so to have them bring the Godzilla monsters to life? Dream come true.

Second, like the 2014 film, I would have designed a new foe for Godzilla rather than bring back one of the classics. I love the old monsters, but I got into these films because of the ever growing menagerie of creatures it was producing. There seemed to be no end to what they could create and my inclination would have been to add to it rather than go to the shelf of established characters. What would my monster be? Given my phobic fear of rats, I probably would have started with something rat like and added to it. Ya know, give it spider legs, or have it vomit acid. Have the movie be about little spider-rat mutants infesting a city, attacking people, and spreading some awful bubonic plague like sickness, and Godzilla comes in to deal with them and the head honcho rat thing. Godzilla first appears and causes havoc in an attempt to kill the mutant rat infestation, and public opinion of him is "less than favorable" and demand that he be nuked out of existence. And then people realize the rats are a greater threat and help Godzilla to deal with them.

Human drama, well, its obvious to go with scientists, politicians, and/or military personnel, but I think I would have been interested in seeing the story focused on completely normal people that are completely detached from what is going on and scared to death by all these crazy stuff happening. Like lets say the focus of the story is on a normal family and the various members of the family have differing opinions on Godzilla and the debate on whether or not Godzilla is good is kept throughout the film until the end where he ultimately saves the days.

This is a very rushed concept, and I'm just throwing ideas out there as they come to me. I'm just telling you if I was given full control of Godzilla 2014, these are some of the thoughts that would have popped into my head.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Without changing it entirely, I would:
- Get rid of most of the cutaways
- Add 1 fight in the middle of the film before the final fight
- Keep Joe alive until at least the middle of the film so we could get to know the two characters more and we could get some engaging drama, this would also make Joe's death more tragic

And that's about it, with a less Godzilla teasing and a stronger human element I think G14 could've been a top 10 Godzilla movie.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I would have had Godzilla's origin stick close to his originals, have him be around only like 200 ft tall, have the monsters be cooler then the Mutos, and way stronger human characters. A better cast would help. Godzilla's design should have bigger spines which should be more jagged, as well as slightly sharper teeth, a more jagged body, and a chest with a stomach that goes inward a tiny tiny bit that makes him look less fat. Also add those Shin tail spikes near the end of his tail. Uhh but yeah.
Image Image

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

KingKong2005 wrote:have him be around only like 200 ft tall
I understand that the ''Let's make Godzilla bigger!!!1!11!* trend is annoying
But a 200 ft Godzilla would look like a midget compared to modern cities like San Francisco or Tokyo.
I think the size they went with was good for the film.
KingKong2005 wrote:have the monsters be cooler then the Mutos
What was uncool about the MUTOs?
KingKong2005 wrote:way stronger human characters
I think I know what you meant, but to be honest,I thought literally stronger, as in superhuman like with how you phrased it :lol:
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home