Did Ready Player One Give Us Our First Look At Legendary Mechagodzilla?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Did Ready Player One Give Us Our First Look At Legendary Mechagodzilla?

Post by ernesth100 »

The title says it all. I feel as if there were too many G2014 similarities for it not to be a nod.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Did Ready Player One Give Us Our First Look At Legendary Mechagodzilla?

Post by Maritonic »

No.

They likely just designed the Mechagodzilla to resemble 2014 Godzilla as that's the most recent incarnation American audiences are familiar with right now.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

Maritonic wrote:No.

They likely just designed the Mechagodzilla to resemble 2014 Godzilla as that's the most recent incarnation American audiences are familiar with right now.
Does it look better than the one from the anime sequel?
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Solia wrote:

That's subjective to the viewer's opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It might be based on the Legendary design, but is it a teaser for the real thing? Absolutely not.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Solia wrote:

Imo that anime MechaG was hideous. Far too jagged and exaggerated. It looked like the real Godzilla would've had zero trouble putting it down.

This design in Ready, Player, One? I dare say it's on par with Kiryu. Which is imo the best MechaG design to date.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

ernesth100 wrote:
Solia wrote:

Imo that anime MechaG was hideous. Far too jagged and exaggerated. It looked like the real Godzilla would've had zero trouble putting it down.

This design in Ready, Player, One? I dare say it's on par with Kiryu. Which is imo the best MechaG design to date.
Agreed on the awful design of the anime sequel.
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Is it actually MechaGodzilla?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

B34sT wrote:Is it actually MechaGodzilla?
If you're talking about RPO: yes, it's called Mechagodzilla in the film and is a brand new design.

If you're talking the anime film: yes, it's called Mechagodzilla in the film and is a brand new design.

;) :P

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I was gonna avoid RPO but that changes everything. We know WB has the rights at least so Mechagodzilla can show up in the series then.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

B34sT wrote:I was gonna avoid RPO but that changes everything. We know WB has the rights at least so Mechagodzilla can show up in the series then.
Definitely. It makes me wonder what other monsters they have rights too. I know Legendary has a few original designs and I doubt Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah are the only monsters they wanna do. They could truly make this an amazing experience as a universe. And it's already off too a steady start.

Mechagodzilla is the logical next step. Humanity tries to beat G at his own game. This could backfire horribly. Perhaps. Godzilla is offended. He's enraged there's something like him. He knows it's not. He doesn't know where it came from but he doesn't care. There's only one Godzilla and that's all he wants to fight for.

And this design is perfect imo. If they don't use it. I hope it's extremely similar. But maybe more heavily built.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
If you're talking about RPO: yes, it's called Mechagodzilla in the film and is a brand new design.

If you're talking the anime film: yes, it's called Mechagodzilla in the film and is a brand new design.

;) :P
..................... are you secretly Morgan Freeman? :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

I want a toy of this design

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I severely doubt it. Not only is it no guarantee the Monsterverse survives past GvK, not only is it somewhat unlikely to get Spielberg and his chief RPO crew on board, but it would fly in the face of Toho history to use any sort of fan-design as canon in a future movie (and before anybody mentions the whole dentist/Biollante story, that resulted from a contest held by Toho).

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Not a chance in hell.

Even if Mechagodzilla shows up in this series should it continue past GvK, it sure as hell won't be this design, because, if tasked with the duty of introducing a character to a series, no director in their right mind would let themselves be saddled with a design from another movie that they had absolutely zero input on, that they didn't pick themselves.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Don't know why people are acting like they won't make more films after GVK. Sorry but 4 films is hardly what I'd call a cinematic universe. Feels more like another Godzilla series guest starring King Kong if they end there. Money will be deciding factor, but I feel they wanna do more, the Monsterverse did start off as a passion project and still is.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Living Corpse wrote:Don't know why people are acting like they won't make more films after GVK. Sorry but 4 films is hardly what I'd call a cinematic universe. Feels more like another Godzilla series guest starring King Kong if they end there. Money will be deciding factor, but I feel they wanna do more, the Monsterverse did start off as a passion project and still is.
There's no way they don't survive past this GvK. Even if KotM bombs(which is theoretically impossible). GvK is an entirely different beast. GvK is Godzilla fighting King Kong. That's gonna be a hit, regardless.

Back to this design, I dunno. If not this design I'd expect something EXTREMELY similar. This design looks far too "Legendary"-esque for them not to at least take a few notes. At least i should hope they do. Because this design
OGMechaMothra wrote:I want a toy of this design
Simply put.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m not sure if I buy into the whole,”it’s definitively the legendary one”. It honestly felt like a mishmash of all three designs+LPG. I can’t really describe this but the “bolts” looked straight off showa MG, plus the inclusion of finger missiles. When Sorrenro activates him he sorta has a Kiryu Esque skeleton, and a Heisei esque face.His “beam” was straight up LPG’s though.

While it was cool seeing him, I think it’s bargain bin Mechagodzilla. The film had no problem recreating Chucky, Goro, and the Iron Giant, but felt the need to make their own Mechagodzilla. I find that really strange. I wouldn’t be surprised if there ever is an LPG MG that it’ll look similar but not exact.

Edit: he actually most closely resembles some of the scrapped Mechagodzilla designs from the Heisei era, particularly the one off the poster. His hands are just a little less gunlike but you can see the similarities:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

TheSecondComing wrote:I severely doubt it. Not only is it no guarantee the Monsterverse survives past GvK, not only is it somewhat unlikely to get Spielberg and his chief RPO crew on board, but it would fly in the face of Toho history to use any sort of fan-design as canon in a future movie (and before anybody mentions the whole dentist/Biollante story, that resulted from a contest held by Toho).
Toho had to approve the design to use it. I'm not saying this would be the design should Mechahodzilla ever appear but it definitely isn't just some fan design. I think the design is a bit too "fluid" to be in the legendary universe which leans on the side of realism. If Mechagodzilla does show up I expect it to be in a clunkier form.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Edit: he actually most closely resembles some of the scrapped Mechagodzilla designs from the Heisei era, particularly the one off the poster. His hands are just a little less gunlike but you can see the similarities:
That really is the closest version. The red lights, the face, the long arms and wires and tubes...it's *extremely* similar the more that I look at it.
Last edited by Relair on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.