Your fears for the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Your fears for the Monsterverse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

For me it wasn't the screen time but the cutaways. Had there been no cutaways and Godzilla still retained the same screen time I wouldn't have minded considering the original Godzilla alone had the exact same screen time or other Godzilla films, there's even been a few where Godzilla had less screen time such as Invasion of Astro-Monster. I felt it was not necessary since people had been waiting for a whole decade for Godzilla. Waiting a decade alone would've been good enough.

I mean all I could've asked was a two or three minute fight between Godzilla and the male M.U.T.O. in Hawaii and that would've been good enough and then an minute long fight instead of the doors closing.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:I'm scared that, after the complaints of Godzilla's screen time in G14, they're gonna overdo it with the monster action in KOTM and GvK.
Same. I'm very glad that gareth directed the first one, because i think the air of suspense and grandeur surrounding the kaiju is going to be gone in future installments.
I agree. Though I wouldn't mind a couple of smaller fights here and there during the film, in fact I'd say that I want that, but I hope they don't make it so action packed that the final fight doesn't feel as special as it should.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Overstaying its welcome. Becoming bogged down by trying to pack every dumb fantasy element imaginable into every movie. A ton of cross-reference between the movies. The series continuing for longer than 10-12 years.

In other words, my biggest fear is the Monsterverse becoming Marvel.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Overstaying its welcome. Becoming bogged down by trying to pack every dumb fantasy element imaginable into every movie. A ton of cross-reference between the movies. The series continuing for longer than 10-12 years.

In other words, my biggest fear is the Monsterverse becoming Marvel.
Hard agree. It's for the best if the MonsterVerse stays short and sweet I think.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G14 wasn't even remotely suspenseful. Halloween is suspenseful. Jaws, Alien, District 9, and The Mist are suspenseful. G14 is not. How many times did Ford almost die? How many times did he miraculously come away with only a few minor scrapes and bruises?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:G14 wasn't even remotely suspenseful. Halloween is suspenseful. Jaws, Alien, District 9, and The Mist are suspenseful. G14 is not. How many times did Ford almost die? How many times did he miraculously come away with only a few minor scrapes and bruises?
Assuming you're referring to my post, I agree I could have phrased it better. Suspense may have not been the right word, but the scale and perspective of giant monsters in a human world was definitely there. I'm worried that that will be gone, replaced by high-speed action and shiny spectacle like in ready player one and pacific rim uprising.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I really like how Pacific Rim was framed. I thought PRU did have some good shots and perspectives too just without Del Toro's signature flair. Despite my misgivings about KSI I really did love the visual flair of that film. It was really neat to look at. I absolutely love that shot of Kong silhouetted against the sunset. I find G14 lacked any real eye popping shots like that. Was not a fan of how dark and dreary it looked. PR was dark but had a lot of pops of bright colors and neon lights that really gave it a fairly distinctive look and feel. KotM can be serious but I just don't want it to look all drab and dreary like G14 did. It made the same exact mistake as GINO covering everything in rain and darkness. I'm really sick of that in monster movies. I want KotM and GvK to LOOK more like KSI than G14, not exactly follow the same formula.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Post by NateZilla10000 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I find G14 lacked any real eye popping shots
I disagree.

Sure, G2014 didn't have a wide range of neon colors like Pacific Rim or any high contrast sunset shots like KSI, but the composition of a lot of shots are top notch.
Spoiler:
These are just off the top of my head. There's a lot of money shots in the movie.

Anyways, my worst fears for the Monsterverse is that Legendary/Warner Bros interprets the woes of Godzilla's "lack of screentime" complaints to such a degree that they treat the monsters as more important than the human characters; thus worsening the issue. Of course the monsters are extremely important; that goes without saying. But, a story that's given little care will equate to a bad movie. Just look at Pacific Rim Uprising; fell right into that pit of treating the CGI spectacle moments as more important than developing the main characters and/or plot naturally, and it tanked critically and financially; the general public is starting to catch on to shlock-fests when they see the trailers for them.

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

I feel like I would be pretty disappointed if the designs of any other monster like Ghidorah or anything become weird or awkward. But i guess the only thing i would actually fear is that the movies become too mishandled that the fandom declines and start bringing negativity in the community.
ShinEscanor156

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I just really want Ghidorah to look good. That is my main concern. He should look intimidating as fuck

Also, I can't believe some fans are saying they're going to flip their shit if he's not from space. Y'all need to chill
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

My fear is how they handle Ghidorah flying. It has all the potential to be unintentionally hilarious, especially if he's designed with bulky legs

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Moogabunga wrote:My fear is how they handle Ghidorah flying. It has all the potential to be unintentionally hilarious, especially if he's designed with bulky legs
Speaking of flying, hope they get all three of the flying monsters Super Sonic flight looking good.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I'm just scared that the movies will suck and bomb at the box office. I just want them to do well, both critically and financially. You can't please everyone, but as long as most people enjoy them and pay money for them, I'm good.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

KingKaiju wrote:I'm just scared that the movies will suck and bomb at the box office. I just want them to do well, both critically and financially. You can't please everyone, but as long as most people enjoy them and pay money for them, I'm good.
Yeah, I’m especially worried for that with G:KotM. GvK is probably far enough along that it will get made no matter what, but if G:KotM tanks beforehand then the studio might spook and go all Suicide Squad on GvK.

I actually have another weird fear - that the movies will become too successful. Right now, it seems like they sit in a nice place where they make a profit, so the studio will make more, but they’re not making so much money that the studio is breathing down their necks and analyzing everything they do with a magnifying glass. Whatever you thought of G14 or K:SI, they were both director-driven films that realized the director’s vision - if there was more money on the line, I feel that WB would interfere with that and these movies would suddenly get that ‘made by committee’ feel that so many big franchise movies have now.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Whatever you thought of G14 or K:SI, they were both director-driven films that realized the director’s vision - if there was more money on the line, I feel that WB would interfere with that and these movies would suddenly get that ‘made by committee’ feel that so many big franchise movies have now.
Very good point. No trend has been worse for movies than "made by committee". So many of these franchise films now feel so fucking corporate and sterile. Let directors be directors and keep administration where they belong, in their deluxe offices reading numbers and giving out money.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

the movies ending up being bad, or the worst for me would be that movies are great but end up getting overshadowed by a complete piece of crap. Like what happened with Pacific Rim. As well as if it ends in 2020.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

My biggest fear with the remaining Monsterverse films is that they will take the criticism that Godzilla 2014 didn't have enough Godzilla in it and go overboard to compensate for it.

I'm not saying G14 was perfect, but given the choices, I'd rather take a film that builds up to the monster and makes every second with the monster count rather than a film that is an exercise in sensory overload and the monsters become dull as a result.

Perfect example are the Michael Bay Transformers movies. With each passing sequel, they added more and more and more and more explosive action sequences to the point that I forgot what the movie was even about at points. I'm watching one of my childhood heroes, Optimus Prime, do all this stuff on the big screen and I am flipping bored. How does that happen?

And I guess that is my biggest fear with G:KOTM. I don't want to get sick of seeing Godzilla, and heck after a lifetime of watching these movies, I have grown accustomed to having 30-40 minute stretches where Godzilla isn't around. Its fairly common. Some of my favorite Godzilla movies are the ones that he's barely in it (Mothra Vs. Godzilla, 90 min film, Godzilla doesn't show up until a third of the way through, Terror of Mechagodzilla, less than 90min, Godzilla doesn't show up till about an hour in, Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah, hour and 40 min, Godzilla doesn't show up until about an hour and 5 into it).

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy films that feature Godzilla more. I've just seen what happens with Hollywood blockbusters these days where it is all about throwing stuff in your face, often sacrificing build up and suspense along the way. I would hate for Godzilla to go down that same path, especially as a kneejerk reaction to criticism from the last film when the problem was opting to make ATJ the lead instead of Cranston, who was superb.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

My biggest fear is the monster action turning into Michael Bay's Transformers, and losing the monster's grand sense of scale and weight. Making the fight scenes nothing but weightless, fast movements, with literally zero way to tell what's going on.
Watch any fight scene from Transformers and you'll see what I mean.

Added in 1 day 13 hours 56 minutes 29 seconds:
Godzilla: KoTM will set the bar so high, Godzilla vs. Kong won't be able to compare.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

ending after GvK
your source of self destruction

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Godzilla: KoTM will set the bar so high, Godzilla vs. Kong won't be able to compare.
Wouldn't that, I dunno, be a good thing?
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"