Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Re: Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I just realized that Peter Jackson should come in to do the 5th Monsterverse film after Godzilla Vs Kong.

But after Kong's death at the hands of Godzilla, we all know Kong will be the one to die because it's in the nature of Kong to die a tragic death in his story plus the center of the Monsterverse really is Godzilla. But after that film we can only dwell on Kong as a prequel.

So I thought maybe Peter Jackson could come in, make a sequel to his King Kong, serve it up as a prequel to Kong: Skull Island and bridge the films. Make Jackson's Kong the grandfather of the Kong family or something. Then make the bridge film about the parents of current Kong and how they die in battle against the skullcrawlers to save their son Kong.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:But after Kong's death at the hands of Godzilla, we all know Kong will be the one to die because it's in the nature of Kong to die a tragic death in his story plus the center of the Monsterverse really is Godzilla. But after that film we can only dwell on Kong as a prequel.
Or...It turns out there's another Kong, one younger and more inexperienced (Presumed to be Kong's son) living on Skull Island somewhere. Better yet Kong is revived by using electricity; Frankenstein's monster style. :-x

BTW I got nothing against Jackson but I'd rather he not do another King Kong film. I respect he was passionate about the remake, the original film being his favorite movie but the main issue I had with that film was Jackson trying to make it too perfect full of unnecessary stuff especially pacing issues we didn't need nor did it need to be over 3 hours long.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Haha, people still think kaiju are gonna die in this series.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:But after Kong's death at the hands of Godzilla, we all know Kong will be the one to die because it's in the nature of Kong to die a tragic death in his story plus the center of the Monsterverse really is Godzilla. But after that film we can only dwell on Kong as a prequel.
... What?

Your preconception of kongs fate is pretty... Odd, I guess i would say. Kong in the original film was a plot element used to deliver a message and create a compelling story. Our current Kong is a fleshed out character, a protagonist. Dying is not in anyway central to his character.

Secondly, Godzilla is not the center of the monsterverse. He's definitely one of the more major names behind it, but MONARCH is the main connective tissue that makes the universe work.
Ivo-goji wrote:Haha, people still think kaiju are gonna die in this series.
Multiple kaiju HAVE died. :P

Also, with the likelyhood of the monsterverse coming to an end, there's definitely a possibility of a main monster kicking the bucket.
Last edited by RamshackleRanger on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My gut tells me that at least all of the heroic kaiju will survive and the series will end with an "And the adventure continues" vibe.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I also like to see Attack the Block director Joe Cornish get a second chance at directing a potential future MonsterVerse film. Heck, get John Landis as well.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Definitely nobody attached to either the Marvel or DC "universes".
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Can we get Matt Reeves to do one of these?

I loved Dawn and War for the Planet of the Apes. I can't wait to see what he does with Batman, but after that, can we get that dude to do a Godzilla film?

I'd be totally cool with that.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

GojiDog wrote:Can we get Matt Reeves to do one of these?
Matt Reeves definitely would've been my ideal choice for Godzilla (2014). Shame he didn't do it.

But yes I'm definitely down for him doing an MonsterVerse movie. :D

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

David Cronenberg would make an amazing Godzilla movie if given carte blanche, but I doubt he'd be interested. Ditto David Fincher. These are guys who would make a Godzilla movie that was really ABOUT something.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

eabaker wrote:David Cronenberg would make an amazing Godzilla movie if given carte blanche, but I doubt he'd be interested. Ditto David Fincher. These are guys who would make a Godzilla movie that was really ABOUT something.
I actually quite like that idea.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote:David Cronenberg would make an amazing Godzilla movie if given carte blanche, but I doubt he'd be interested. Ditto David Fincher. These are guys who would make a Godzilla movie that was really ABOUT something.
Speaking directors named David, David Lynch would sure make something on par with Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Speaking directors named David, David Lynch would sure make something on par with Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
I thought about adding Lynch to this list, both because I'd be interested to see his take, and to stick with the David theme. :D
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^by the end of a David Lynch Goji film, you wouldn’t even really be sure if there WAS a Godzilla, or instead if there was just some mass hallucination of a metaphor for suburban America. :dizzy:
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

KaijuCanuck wrote:^by the end of a David Lynch Goji film, you wouldn’t even really be sure if there WAS a Godzilla, or instead if there was just some mass hallucination of a metaphor for suburban America. :dizzy:
Yeah, love Lynch but he wouldn't be a top pick for me. Not only because I don't think there could be a Godzilla film directed by Lynch that wouldn't become a David Lynch film that happened to have a Godzilla-y thing going on, but also because his previous attempt at a big budget film was pretty bad.

Cronenberg, however, could be quite interesting.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Reviving this thread again to bring this up but I'd love to see Steven Spielburg do a movie considering rumor had it he was gonna do a remake of Gorgo in the 90's but eventually dropped it due to competition of Godzilla (1998) and Mighty Joe Young.

In fact that's what he should do a remake of Gorgo incorporated into the MonsterVerse.

Guillermo del Toro besides an American Gamera remake (Not part of the MonsterVerse) should also be the director of an solo Mothra film (Whether Mothra dies or leaves her legacy in the form of a child).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Reviving this thread again to bring this up but I'd love to see Steven Spielburg do a movie considering rumor had it he was gonna do a remake of Gorgo in the 90's but eventually dropped it due to competition of Godzilla (1998) and Mighty Joe Young.

In fact that's what he should do a remake of Gorgo incorporated into the MonsterVerse.

Guillermo del Toro besides an American Gamera remake (Not part of the MonsterVerse) should also be the director of an solo Mothra film (Whether Mothra dies or leaves her legacy in the form of a child).
If you check out the spoiler thread,
Spoiler:
you might be dissapointed when it comes to Mothra.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

LegendZilla wrote:If you check out the spoiler thread,
Spoiler:
you might be dissapointed when it comes to Mothra.
Spoiler:
I take it she doesn't even leave a child then huh? Shucks...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Guillermo Del Toro could definitely do justice to the more mystical kaiju, like Mothra. I think Christopher Nolan could do a realistic kaiju film in vein with what the 2014 Godzilla trailers showed off originally. JJ Abrams would be fascinating as a director because he seems to understand destruction and scope pretty well, Cloverfield being a good example. I could see him doing a Rodan film. Quentin Tarantino would be dope for an off the wall crazy kaiju film... #TarantinoForTheGiantClaw
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira