Why Do Kong and Godzilla Fight?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Reason Do The Titans Clash?

1. They See Each Other As Threats
81%
2. Mind Control/Forced
11%
3. Clone
No votes
4. One Of The Monsters Is Framed
8%

Total votes: 79

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Why Do Kong and Godzilla Fight?

Post by Maritonic »

"One of the monsters is framed" What?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Because a lot of people will pay money for it, including myself. But... Yes, I hope that this movie gives us a decent explanation as to why they fight.

Last edited by KingKaiju on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Maritonic wrote:"One of the monsters is framed" What?
I dunno man I've had crazier ideas. I just like to put em out sometimes :lol:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:This is honestly the biggest obstacle this film needs to get over. The anti-kaiju theory makes the most sense and would be the least outlandish.
I feel so as well seems like the most likely to be weaved into the plot regardless simply based on the concept of the fact that their giant freaking monsters. No one wants that roaming freely.

A far more outlandish theory is that Kong and Godzilla have a relationship we don't know about.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

If there's anything we know about this it's that 1)"'Godzilla better win!" and 2) Batman v Superman Mothra jokes will be repeated over and over.

They both have the guardian/protector thing going so I could see them canceling each other out and going at it.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

tbeasley wrote:If there's anything we know about this it's that 1)"'Godzilla better win!" and 2) Batman v Superman Mothra jokes will be repeated over and over.

They both have the guardian/protector thing going so I could see them canceling each other out and going at it.
Agreed. Seems to be the easiest route to go.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

ernesth100 wrote:Kong and Godzilla have a relationship we don't know about.

Let's keep it that way, mmkay?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:Kong and Godzilla have a relationship we don't know about.

Let's keep it that way, mmkay?
Lmao, funny. But seriously it's not entirely impossible the two ran into each other prior to their 2020 meeting and battled or possibly at least exchanged glares at eachother knowing they'd eventually come to conflict.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Skull Island was locked off from the outside world by those electromagnetic storms so I wouldn't think Kong and Godzilla have encountered each other before.

The cave paintings of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah seem to hint at some kind of past history, but then again they could simply be prophesizing things to come.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

tbeasley wrote:Skull Island was locked off from the outside world by those electromagnetic storms so I wouldn't think Kong and Godzilla have encountered each other before.

The cave paintings of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah seem to hint at some kind of past history, but then again they could simply be prophesizing things to come.
In any event it is clear from those paintings being in that film that somehow the monsters are all connected.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Ummm....because we let them?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

G1985 wrote:Ummm....because we let them?

Sums it up pretty well. :lol:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Y'know, it just hit me from the Kongs vs. Kongs FM thread- and forgive me if this has been brought up before, I've mostly avoided the speculation threads; we've seen that (apparently), LPG tanked a nuclear blast. Do we really expect Kong, even scaled up, to be able to deliver a blow that can equal or exceed that in order to actually harm Godzilla in the first place?

(Then again, the same question could be asked of the MUTOs, so clearly the problem lies in the nuke-tanking feat; it presents a problem to any kaiju brawl. There's precedent in the MUTOs, so I have no objection to Kong and Godzilla being able to harm one-another about equally, atomic breath aside... it just struck me as funny when I realized the disparity in strengths).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:Y'know, it just hit me from the Kongs vs. Kongs FM thread- and forgive me if this has been brought up before, I've mostly avoided the speculation threads; we've seen that (apparently), LPG tanked a nuclear blast. Do we really expect Kong, even scaled up, to be able to deliver a blow that can equal or exceed that in order to actually harm Godzilla in the first place?

(Then again, the same question could be asked of the MUTOs, so clearly the problem lies in the nuke-tanking feat; it presents a problem to any kaiju brawl. There's precedent in the MUTOs, so I have no objection to Kong and Godzilla being able to harm one-another about equally, atomic breath aside... it just struck me as funny when I realized the disparity in strengths).
I think that’s just a concept-hole in the kaiju genre in general - how can they be indestructible to all man made weapons yet still susceptible to merely being boffed by one another in the face? Or, relatedly, why are missiles and such suddenly more effective just because they’ve been mounted on a giant robot? I guess we just gotta accept these things as unknowable truths and move on. :lol:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Zarm wrote:Y'know, it just hit me from the Kongs vs. Kongs FM thread- and forgive me if this has been brought up before, I've mostly avoided the speculation threads; we've seen that (apparently), LPG tanked a nuclear blast. Do we really expect Kong, even scaled up, to be able to deliver a blow that can equal or exceed that in order to actually harm Godzilla in the first place?

I think that’s just a concept-hole in the kaiju genre in general - how can they be indestructible to all man made weapons yet still susceptible to merely being boffed by one another in the face? Or, relatedly, why are missiles and such suddenly more effective just because they’ve been mounted on a giant robot? I guess we just gotta accept these things as unknowable truths and move on. :lol:
You speak great wisdom, young one. *bows respectfully*
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I think it's just a matter of the kind of damage being applied. A human can survive a blast within the vicinity of a grenade(though, admittedly, not a very close one) and still walk away with maybe a limp and some ringing in the ears. Bring a baseball bat over their head or put a knife in their chest and they're pretty much fucked.

It's the same concept with godzilla. He'll take a blast but direct application of force is always a bother. Hell, unless you count the comics(which i personally find to be BS, canon or not), we have don't actually know the kind of effect a nuke had on him. Chances are it messed him up bad, seeing as how he went back into the sea for a few decades after the detonation - so kong is going to be just fine.

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

Reasons for the two to fight are incredibly dependent on the direction of the King of the Monsters movie, since the only way for the two to even get to fight, like actually see each other, would have to have either Godzilla go to Skull Island or Kong go to whatever location Godzilla is that isn't in the water. These options depend on how the film follows after King of the Monsters. Reasons I believe they'll fight are:
1) During King of the Monsters, one of the other kaiju fly somewhere near Skull Island and either weaken or completely remove the storm surrounding the island and reveals Kong's location to the world, including Godzilla, who could possibly be intimidated and treat him as a threat, swims to the island and Kong's instinct to protect the island would kick in.
2) After King of the Monsters, all of Monarch's information on the kaiju that they know about somehow goes public and the world powers react by fear and either invade or nuke the island, driving Kong off the island. This would in turn drive Godzilla to follow suit and try to kill Kong.
3) After King of the Monsters, same as option two but they try to use Kong to kill Godzilla out of fear of Godzilla from events or chaos that occurred in the movie of King of the Monsters. This would make sense since the doctors from the Skull Island movie see Kong as a much more of a guardian in comparison to Godzilla so those who use Monarch's public information would see him as their protector from Godzilla.
ShinEscanor156

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

G.Escanor wrote:Reasons for the two to fight are incredibly dependent on the direction of the King of the Monsters movie, since the only way for the two to even get to fight, like actually see each other, would have to have either Godzilla go to Skull Island or Kong go to whatever location Godzilla is that isn't in the water. These options depend on how the film follows after King of the Monsters. Reasons I believe they'll fight are:
1) During King of the Monsters, one of the other kaiju fly somewhere near Skull Island and either weaken or completely remove the storm surrounding the island and reveals Kong's location to the world, including Godzilla, who could possibly be intimidated and treat him as a threat, swims to the island and Kong's instinct to protect the island would kick in.
2) After King of the Monsters, all of Monarch's information on the kaiju that they know about somehow goes public and the world powers react by fear and either invade or nuke the island, driving Kong off the island. This would in turn drive Godzilla to follow suit and try to kill Kong.
3) After King of the Monsters, same as option two but they try to use Kong to kill Godzilla out of fear of Godzilla from events or chaos that occurred in the movie of King of the Monsters. This would make sense since the doctors from the Skull Island movie see Kong as a much more of a guardian in comparison to Godzilla so those who use Monarch's public information would see him as their protector from Godzilla.
Just to follow up with your first idea so I understand a little better I was still under the impression the storm is directly tied to Kong i.e. he causes it or it's something that manifests around places where he's at (though that'd be a little more out there). If not then maybe ghidora could be that monster since his wings have had the power to generate hurricane force winds.

My main reason they'd fight is that Godzilla is going to be shown to be too potent to human life and Kong is used to fight him. I also wonder if in KOTM if they're going to portray mothra as more of a guardian type character as she had been in the past and if that's going to somehow tie into the alignment with humans or the kaiju themselves.
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Someone brought up an interesting way for why they fight. The reason they've never met until now nor Godzilla had any past history with Skull Island is because he doesn't know it exists. What this person brought up to how they could meet is having to do with the Skull Crawlers. Perhaps after the death of Ramarak. Skull Crawlers had since been begin dying off on Skull Island and desperately the leave Skull Island forcing Kong to follow them leading him to outside of Skull Island whose presences (Both Kong and the Skull Crawlers) are detected by Godzilla.

Could even have Godzilla killing one of the Skull Crawlers or any of the remaining ones which triggers Kong since they were meant to be his kills.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tbeasley wrote:Skull Island was locked off from the outside world by those electromagnetic storms so I wouldn't think Kong and Godzilla have encountered each other before.
I don't think that would effect a sea monster.

Though it'd have to be Kong's ancestors, since he wasn't born yet.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I mean... does the reason have to be that complicated? They’re both big monsters. They see each other. Rawrrrrr!!! Eh?