Why Do Kong and Godzilla Fight?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Reason Do The Titans Clash?

1. They See Each Other As Threats
81%
2. Mind Control/Forced
11%
3. Clone
No votes
4. One Of The Monsters Is Framed
8%

Total votes: 79

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Why Do Kong and Godzilla Fight?

Post by ernesth100 »

I had so many ideas for why Kong and G would go at it. The current most prominent idea amongst the fans is that the two see each other as threats. Kong seeing Godzilla as a threat to humanity and Godzilla seeing Kong as a threat to his own self preservation. This concept drives home the concept that neither monster is a villain in reality but it's simply survival.

A second idea that popped into my head is mind control. It's entirely possible Godzilla doesn't exactly have the mental capacity to resist it. So it wouldn't at all be hard to imagine humanity capturing the titan and forcing it to combat Kong or the other way around with Kong being the one whom is mind controlled. Or somehow the two are forcefully captured and pinned against each other.

A third idea is the idea that literally every fan hates. Star Wars fans, Comic Book fans, Ceiling Fans, jokes aside; clones. It's possible that humanity clones one of these beasts to do battle for them. While the idea is highly far fetched it's definitely nothing we haven't seen happen before.

And my final is one of these monsters is framed for causing harm/disruption to the other. For an example, a fake Godzilla could be built and deployed(chance to introduce MechaG) in a realistic Godzilla skin and go wreak havoc upon Skull Island only to be damaged and warded off by Kong. To which Kong will either follow or be lured off the island by it to find the Real Godzilla whom he battles believing it was this version of the kaiju.

These are simply small theories. Let me know which one resonates with you.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Why Do Kong and Godzilla Fight?

Post by Ivo-goji »

Because one has a brain the size of a marble and the other doesn't, compelling them to face each other as they did millions of years past, or something.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ivo-goji wrote:Because one has a brain the size of a marble and the other doesn't, compelling them to face each other as they did millions of years past, or something.
Lol. I see what you did there. :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

There's also the possibility of dominance. Say after the events of KotM. Humanity demands Monarch and World Leaders to do something about the monsters like Godzilla after the destructive battle against King Ghidorah lead to huge collateral damage and casualties. So Monarch decides to lure or capture the monsters bringing them to Skull Island to be contained so they no longer pose a threat. Something Kong doesn't appreciate leading to both Godzilla and Kong fighting.

As easy of a reason as that is for them to fight at the same time fans wants Kong in cities so I guess that's a no-go.

There's also the possibility of a post-credits where King Ghidorah severely weakened and dying (Losing maybe even a head) lands on Skull Island and transfers his conciousness into Kong. :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

One of the reasons G never went after Kong is that he may not have known of his existence.

Personally, I think Skull Island is destroyed or bombarded in an anti-monster aftermath of KotM. And Kong, who at this point is large enough to traverse the Skull Crawler hollow earth caverns with impunity, follows the tunnels back to the mainland and emerges. Now super pissed off about people blowing up his home, he turns against modern civilization -- he recognizes planes, military and things like that as the causes of Skull Island's destruction -- and makes such a raucous that Godzilla notices. And so they fight.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

vibramrunner wrote:One of the reasons G never went after Kong is that he may not have known of his existence.

Personally, I think Skull Island is destroyed or bombarded in an anti-monster aftermath of KotM. And Kong, who at this point is large enough to traverse the Skull Crawler hollow earth caverns with impunity, follows the tunnels back to the mainland and emerges. Now super pissed off about people blowing up his home, he turns against modern civilization -- he recognizes planes, military and things like that as the causes of Skull Island's destruction -- and makes such a raucous that Godzilla notices. And so they fight.
One idea of an post-credits could be that during KotM when King Ghidorah first awakens. He goes across the pacific destroying various chain of islands with his gravity beams and its later revealed in said post-credits that one of those islands was Skull Island. The next and final scene is an humanoid shape swimming from what's left of Skull Island before cutting to black with Kong's roar.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:There's also the possibility of dominance. Say after the events of KotM. Humanity demands Monarch and World Leaders to do something about the monsters like Godzilla after the destructive battle against King Ghidorah lead to huge collateral damage and casualties. So Monarch decides to lure or capture the monsters bringing them to Skull Island to be contained so they no longer pose a threat. Something Kong doesn't appreciate leading to both Godzilla and Kong fighting.
That's definitely practical, especially because we know Godzilla can be lured by monster calls. But I need this fight to go down in civilization. That's one thing that's always made me mad about KK vs G is that they're always in the middle of nowhere, minus a couple scenes where they're not even fighting.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Don't we already have the skreeonking Godzilla vs King Kong (2020) thread to cover this?!?!?!?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

And to what you said above, yeah, you can totally replace humanity with Ghidorah. I just don't know why Ghidorah wants to destroy an obscure island somewhere in the ocean, but other than that it could work.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

vibramrunner wrote:And to what you said above, yeah, you can totally replace humanity with Ghidorah. I just don't know why Ghidorah wants to destroy an obscure island somewhere in the ocean, but other than that it could work.
Well, you know- destroyer of worlds. Start with the small landmasses and move up to the bigger ones; easier not to overlook anything that way. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

vibramrunner wrote:That's definitely practical, especially because we know Godzilla can be lured by monster calls. But I need this fight to go down in civilization. That's one thing that's always made me mad about KK vs G is that they're always in the middle of nowhere, minus a couple scenes where they're not even fighting.
Hence why I said people would rather have Kong in cities as simple and easy this reason would be for them to fight. Such a shame really. I'm in the minority who wouldn't mind it.
vibramrunner wrote:And to what you said above, yeah, you can totally replace humanity with Ghidorah. I just don't know why Ghidorah wants to destroy an obscure island somewhere in the ocean, but other than that it could work.
He is called the "Destroyer of Worlds" for a reason. It'd be in King Ghidorah's nature that once he wakes up. I'd imagine he'd start going on an destructive killing spree. Hence why I brought up the idea he destroys a chain of islands in the Pacific with his gravity beams and one of those happened to have been Skull Island which would then be revealed in said post-credits.

Besides it'd be a perfect way to highlight King Ghidorah's threat level he poses to the world and being a much greater challenge to Godzilla then the M.U.T.O.'s ever were making you wonder "I wonder how Godzilla is going to defeat him?".
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Zarm wrote:
Well, you know- destroyer of worlds. Start with the small landmasses and move up to the bigger ones; easier not to overlook anything that way. ;)
See, I just don't understand why he'd start small. You could make it work, but isn't that a little anti-climactic? I mean if I'm trying to take over the world, or destroy it, I'm taking out the most credible threats to my agenda first. I just don't think an obscure island would be target #1 on my list.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

vibramrunner wrote:See, I just don't understand why he'd start small. You could make it work, but isn't that a little anti-climactic? I mean if I'm trying to take over the world, or destroy it, I'm taking out the most credible threats to my agenda first. I just don't think an obscure island would be target #1 on my list.
Well he will supposedly have awakened from Antarctica and the fist thing is once he takes flight will be across the ocean. It's not out of the question the path he chooses is the Pacific Ocean which the first set of land he catches sight of would be island chains.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:See, I just don't understand why he'd start small. You could make it work, but isn't that a little anti-climactic? I mean if I'm trying to take over the world, or destroy it, I'm taking out the most credible threats to my agenda first. I just don't think an obscure island would be target #1 on my list.
Well he will supposedly have awakened from Antarctica and the fist thing is once he takes flight will be across the ocean. It's not out of the question the path he chooses towards the Pacific Ocean which the fist set of land he catches sight of would be island chains.
Yeah, again, I'm not saying that wouldn't work, but I feel like watching it would be like, "OK, we're at Plot Point A, where Ghidorah awakens, and now we need to get to Plot Point B so we can advance the MonsterVerse into Godzilla vs Kong before getting back to this movie and.." Like, you can't just stick things in there because it's convenient to the plot -- it has to happen organically, and what you're describing is basically time-consuming scene to get us to the next movie when we're just introducing the bad guy of the movie we're in now.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

vibramrunner wrote:Yeah, again, I'm not saying that wouldn't work, but I feel like watching it would be like, "OK, we're at Plot Point A, where Ghidorah awakens, and now we need to get to Plot Point B so we can advance the MonsterVerse into Godzilla vs Kong before getting back to this movie and.." Like, you can't just stick things in there because it's convenient to the plot -- it has to happen organically, and what you're describing is basically time-consuming scene to get us to the next movie when we're just introducing the bad guy of the movie we're in now.
As I said above. They don't have to show Skull Island being destroyed. Just a chain of islands and post-credits then reveals one of those being Skull Island all without effecting the current story that's happening right now. That and having King Ghidorah destroy a chain of islands would be a perfect way to showcase the threat level he poses to the entire world.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Right. It could be throw-away dialogue; with a map scene showing the sweep of his flight path and a bunch of red dots indicating major destruction, building tension as he moves toward north america, like tracking a hurricane that's moving at the speed of sound... you don't even show it, just indicate that there are reports of massive devastation in its wake, building up to the big reveal...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Zarm wrote:Right. It could be throw-away dialogue; with a map scene showing the sweep of his flight path and a bunch of red dots indicating major destruction, building tension as he moves toward north america, like tracking a hurricane that's moving at the speed of sound... you don't even show it, just indicate that there are reports of massive devastation in its wake, building up to the big reveal...
Exactly. Such a perfect way to make it work without even effecting the current plot.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

They fight for their right, to Party!

GreenScar
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar »

While I don't know how they would fit it into the story, Ghidorah could have known about the Kong "Tribe" before being frozen and just wanted to deal with possible threats to it's own existence after waking up. Though, I'm more on board with the whole "no more monsters" idea of the Governments of the World attacking all kaiju in the wake of KotM and Kong being in the cross fire.
:g2k: :godzilla: :g64: :spacegodzilla: :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :monsterx:

Top 5 Toho Kaiju I hope show up in the Monsterverse -https://youtu.be/ay28_lPFHvg

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

This is honestly the biggest obstacle this film needs to get over. The anti-kaiju theory makes the most sense and would be the least outlandish.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983