Complaints About Legendary Godzilla?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Complaints About Legendary Godzilla?

Post by Moogabunga »

I thought it would be interesting to get various opinions all in one spot as to what people may not be crazy about when it came to this particular Godzilla. So I am just genuinely curious, what are the criticisms that you have towards Legendary's portrayal of Godzilla? We're talking absolutely anything from his design to his origin to his behavior. What would you personally change?

On the flip side, what aspects of Legendary Godzilla do you think are great?
Last edited by Moogabunga on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Complaints About Legendary Godzilla?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like his design. I guess there is something I want to complain about but first is more towards other's complaints. Some people dislike his breath being so weak and I really like it like that. I just worry if it gets too much stronger he'll over spamm it. I like it being on the lower end of the use scale and he has to use it wisely. Keep it like 3-5 I guess at most.

Well it isn't a design but I sort of wish Godzilla was bleeding a bit during his fight, sort of sticks out a bit to me.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Since he's aquatic and all, I would like to see multiple sets of teeth, like in Godzilla vs Biollante. Other than that, I really like the MonsterVerse design.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I love the overall design, but I really don't like the way it looks when you see him from directly behind.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The feet still bug me.

I love how he's integrated into world history and the Castel Bravo detonation in his backstory.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

I only hope that Legendary sees the benefit of a director's cut as source for money for them. I like the 2014 movie very much, but it is by far not perfect.

Not only about the cut-aways, they are not bothering me the most. It was the comic-prequel AWAKENING that this wasn't made into the film. But for Godzilla himself: a good design and character traits, which I like. In my personal ranking: within the middle.

Diamondshark9
Ronin

Post by Diamondshark9 »

THE FANBOYS. Ya know, the kind that go all "NO REAL GODZILLA SHOULD WIN SHIN GAYZILLA DOESNT DESERVE TO WIN" to people who work hard on videos such as A. Sousa. Somebody ACTUALLY named their youtube account "Legendary Godzilla not Shin Gayzilla"
Oh oh, they say he’s got to go, go go Godzilla! :g2k:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I just want to see him really not give a shit about people. The way he just smashed the bridge was cool, but I want some Gamera 3 type shit, where he's just blasting other monsters with his atomic breath, and people are just getting lit the fuck up, because they're in the way... But I guess that's not really about his portrayal as much as it is about the what the director chooses to show. I don't really have any criticism, I like him for what he is. I guess if I had any criticism, I've never been crazy about the super long roar that just sounds like someone holding onto a soundbite for too long.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I have literally no complaints with this incarnation of G, it's perfect
why did i have to be the chosen one?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Ivo-goji wrote:I love how he's integrated into world history and the Castel Bravo detonation in his backstory.
The way they called it Operation Lucky Dragon was a bit tone-deaf.

I'm largely happy with how they depicted him. I remember being so relieved when this first came out. I was like, "That's it, they got it right." It's not the final face design but it definitely seemed they "got it."

My only real nitpicks are that his teeth/fangs and claws are kind of puny... and that the inside of his mouth seemed overtly fleshy and weird.

Another thing, and this had more to do with character, is that I'm still surprised we haven't seen any real intentional city destruction or military battles in a big US Godzilla film. Stuff like that has seemed incidental so far, just a byproduct of the monster going about its business rather than the monster being genuinely pissed off and lashing out. I hope KOTM indulges in more of this, that and the monster fights, I hope they go nuts with those after 2014 was more reserved, that's what people come to see.
Last edited by tbeasley on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

KillCrites wrote:I have literally no complaints with this incarnation of G, it's perfect
Seconded. I couldn't design it better if I tried. The light up spines like a blast being charged up was great. He thinks and plots. He kicks. He grapples. He tail swings. He does all the stuff Godzilla should do, not just some big mindless dinosaur. The roar gives me chills. Everything about him is just awesome.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Here's an idea for the staff at legendary responsible for the timeline...

FIX THE TIMELINE

Seriously, there are at least 3 different versions of the timeline for the Monsterverse now:

V1: Godzilla awakened by nautilus, 1954. Monarch funded after Operation Castle, 1954. KSI happens, 1972. Janjira incident, 1999. G14, 2014.

V2: Godzilla awakened by Hiroshima alongside Shinomura, 1945. Godzilla and Shinomura sighted in the early cold war, 1946-1951. Monarch founded, 1946. Godzilla engages shinomura and shinomura is destroyed, 1954. KSI happens, 1972. Janjira incident,1999. G14,2014.

V3: USS Laughton is attacked by a MUTO (Possibly Godzilla),1943. Monarch founded in 1946 after the Laughton attack. Godzilla appears, 1954. Godzilla is nuked, 1954. KSI's Monarch timeline, 1960's-2016.

JUST PICK ONE LEGENDARY

JUST PICK ONE
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah the feet will always bother me. I've gotten use to them though but I still find they just don't look right to me. I also don't like that he appears all one solid color and wish his teeth and claws more pronounced. I wish there was more definition between his body and his spines. Overall I'm perfectly fine with the design otherwise. Just wish they were willing to show it off more.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Godzilla is a little too portly. There are some shots where his upper belly just sticks out too far, making it look like he has bad reach with his arms. Worse, the lack of a different color scheme for his dorsal plates. He’s too uniform in color. Even so, this is a great design. I love how he looks from behind, like a massive walking pyramid. They really doubled down on the “big lug” aspect and it looks fantastic in motion.
Last edited by LockBite on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

My only real problem are the elephant feet.

Other than that, it looks great.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maybe I’m just a stickler for tradition, but I kind of wish he stood more directly upright, and held his hands out like in the old days. Basically, I kind of wish they just cgi’ed a man in a rubber suit.

But I’m not complaining too much, it’s a great design for what they were going for.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

GojiDog wrote:My only real problem are the elephant feet.

Other than that, it looks great.
The feet are more like a Sauropod dinosaur's rather than an elephant's.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Godzilla 2014 was a cool movie but really needed a few extra minutes in the oven. The story needed to be worked on more. And the characters needed to be fleshed out a lot more.

Someone on a podcast I was listening to the other day said that the movie should of had several main characters set across the world at the locations of the film interacting with each other instead of having the plot somehow get ford to exactly where the plot needed him.

Have Serizawa on the boat following Godzilla, Ford and his dad in Japan, Ellie and the kid in San Francisco, maybe introduce another soldier character to follow with the military... Have them interact together throughout the film and eventually have them all meet up during the finale.

That would of been a lot better then what we got.

But its still a fun movie.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I like the body of LegendaryGoji, but not the face, I hate the face. It's just....awful. I tried to like it, but numerous angles just did it in for me. I really wanted a more reptilian designed face. The body itself was reptilian, with all the scales and armor, but the bearish face just threw it all off. I was sincerely hoping his face would be changed for KOTM, but it doesn't look like it.

The really unfortunate part for me with the face, is at specific angles, it looked reptilian, which only enforced my want for such a thing.

I also felt like Godzilla could be taller. 100m isn't all that impressive these days. 150-250 is better IMO.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

I prefer designs for the kind of story that Godzilla is in and this Legendary design works incredibly well for the story that it was set in. it's bulky which ushers in the idea that Godzilla is powerful and its aquatic/reptilian features make for an incarnation that makes sense and effective in the story. The only issue I have is just the flaws of the film itself that, if removed, would have changed the movie from a standard Godzilla film to a phenomenal film.
ShinEscanor156