Why do some fans not want more toho kaiju in the monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Why do some fans not want more toho kaiju in the monsterverse?

Post by darthzilla99 »

eabaker wrote:Although I'm one of those who would be in favor of seeing more Toho kaiju show up (although mixed in with original creations), I have a couple of thoughts about why one might not want to.

You kind of address this, but then wave it away without really explaining your logic: The other series you talk about are being adapted across media. People were excited to see Two Face in TDK in part because the character had never before been portrayed in live action. Seeing a previous Toho kaiju return in another movie doesn't have the same appeal because those monsters have already appeared on the big screen.

And with your Hedorah example, you actually touch on exactly why I wouldn't want to see that specific character reused in a Hollywood movie; nearly everything that makes the character and his original narrative context charming would be stripped away in an attempt to make it less "cheesy and weird" (I'd have gone with a more neutral description, like "idiosyncratic") and "more serious."
Sorry I have been gone a bit. I do not agree with the whole "if it's been in a live action movie once, being done in a live action movie again is not the same appeal as two different mediums like comic book format and live action format". I feel that seeing a character in a low (comparatively as I know not all Godzilla movies are low budget by Japanese movie standards) budget versus a huge Hollywood budget live action film is just as much of a difference as seeing the character in a comic book or animated format versus huge Hollywood budget live action film. For me, seeing say Anguirus (a kaiju who's already been in a few live action movies) in a monsterverse movie would be just as new and fresh to the character to me as say seeing the Vulture (previously seen in comics and cartoons only before) in Spider-man homecoming.

On Hedorah, you and I are going to disagree on this point. I personally do not view the trippyness and psychedelic nature of his film that important to his character and charm. If I were to assign a percentage, it would be at best less than 5% important to Hedorah or the style of the film. I would have preferred Teruyoshi Nakano's vision to the film, which according to Japan's favorite Mon-star, was he wanted the film to be a darker, more straight forward allagory film about the dangers of pollution similar in tone and style to Gojira (Banno wanted it to be more kid friendly). What's important to the kaiju of Hedorah is that he is a pollution slime kaiju that represents mans hubris of the environment as Godzilla is to the Atomic bomb. These are my thoughts anyways.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Why do some fans not want more toho kaiju in the monsterverse?

Post by tbeasley »

I just want them to do a good job with what they have already before doing anything else. I mean they have Kong, Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah and Rodan, those are the biggest names already. They don't have to force every Toho kaiju that has ever existed into it, or monsters from outside franchises. If anything a new series, whether it's from Toho or elsewhere, is an opportunity to adapt the existing mythos and make things more coherent and streamline.