Rodan and Ghidorah's stationary looks

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Re: Rodan and Ghidorah's stationary looks

Post by ScottA »

I'm already braced to hate Rodan. Because I know for a fact that Legendary will make it "hip" and "modern". And not a monster like the original design.
I'm calling it right now. Rodan will look like a dragon.

One of the best things I like about the original design is how thick the wings were. It made him look like a monster, and not just a big bird.
The Heisei version changed that and I hated it with a passion.
The original head design was kinda goofy looking. But it had charm. Legendary will certainly stomp all over that part too.

Were' going to get a dragon style Rodan with thin wings and skinny arm bones. And a head full of spikes.*PUKE*
Because that's the kind of crap kids like.
I'll bet the farm on it.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

For Rodan, I would love something 90's Gyaos-like, so this way he can be able to stand upright:
Or in a more curved pose:
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

ScottA wrote:I'm already braced to hate Rodan. Because I know for a fact that Legendary will make it "hip" and "modern". And not a monster like the original design.
I'm calling it right now. Rodan will look like a dragon.

One of the best things I like about the original design is how thick the wings were. It made him look like a monster, and not just a big bird.
The Heisei version changed that and I hated it with a passion.
The original head design was kinda goofy looking. But it had charm. Legendary will certainly stomp all over that part too.

Were' going to get a dragon style Rodan with thin wings and skinny arm bones. And a head full of spikes.*PUKE*
Because that's the kind of crap kids like.
I'll bet the farm on it.
Just watched Skull Island again over the weekend, and I have to say Rodan seemed very pterosaur-ish to me in the cave paintings. You never know what they'll change, but depending on how much stock you put into end credits scene, I doubt they go for a dragon look.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

LegendZilla wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Yes.
I'm not, and they're about 5x5 for me.
I am now on a laptop and they are still small.
Bump for reasons.

Not your display settings. Forum working as intended.

Why the tiny images? Because quoted images have been resized to the new smaller resolution, because it's still somehow hard for people to break img tags in quotes and I just don't want to keep telling people to stop it every day. So I resized them to 5x5 instead of 0x0(possible eventually error - don't want to risk it). As to why they resize in spoiler tags. With how the spoiler tags work now, they are over glorified quote boxes, hence the resize. The other spoiler I had was only limited 1 spoiler box per post. Eventual change to native image spoiler tags eventually when I do another big update.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Holy hell, if Ghidorah looks like this, I'm going to need new pants
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

^Lol. Point proven.
Designer: "Does this design have enough character?"
Director: "Nobody cares about character these days...just add more bumps and spikes and the kids will love it"
Designer: "Oh..OK that's really simple"
Director walks away yelling: "More Spikes!!!!"
Last edited by ScottA on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Yeeeeeeah, I hope that doesn't happen. I love the Legendary Godzilla design, because while he's been updated, he's still very much Godzilla. As long as the designs stay true to the core characteristics of the characters, I'm okay. I don't need Rodan turning into a dragon, or Ghidorah to be a three headed version of what we got in Game of Thrones, as much as I love those dragons.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

ScottA wrote:^Lol. Point proven.
Designer: "Does this design have enough character?"
Director: "Nobody cares about character these days...just add more bumps and spikes and the kids will love it"
Designer: "Oh..OK that's really simple"
Director walks away yelling: "More Spikes!!!!"
That definitely doesn't sound like something Dougherty would say, considering that he puts a lot of thought into how his monsters should look. (Unless you were just making a hypothetical scenario with "Average Blockbuster Director John Smith" or something.)

I know he's going to treat someone else's monsters (Toho's) with complete care and respect. Just like Edwards did.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Ghidrah is waaaay too big there. Too brutish.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Why yes of course, the ole "it's different so it sucks" mindset

So what if Ghidorah looks more rugged? Why is that such a bad thing? Legendary Godzilla barely looks like any of the Godzillas we have seen before, so why can't Ghidorah be altered? Think like what Thor: Ragnarok did with Surtur; he looks very much different from his comic counterpart(s), but he is still by-and-large Surtur. There's no reason why the same can't happen to Ghidorah. The thing in the art can certainly be likened to the Devil ("the Devil has three heads")

Just like with Surtur. People didn't bat an eye when Surtur was turned into a more skeletal-looking thing for Ragnarok
Last edited by Ryguy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Ryguy wrote:Why yes of course, the ole "it's different so it sucks" mindset

So what if Ghidorah looks more rugged? Why is that such a bad thing? Legendary Godzilla barely looks like any of the Godzillas we have seen before, so why can't Ghidorah be altered? Think like what Thor: Ragnarok did with Surtur; he looks very much different from his comic counterpart(s), but he is still by-and-large Surtur. There's no reason why the same can't happen to Ghidorah. The thing in the art can certainly be likened to the Devil ("the Devil has three heads")

Just like with Surtur. People didn't bat an eye when Surtur was turned into a more skeletal-looking thing for Ragnarok
Different is fine. I just disagree with the more brutish and chaotic approach. To me, ghidorah needs to be prestigious and awesome(not in the "wow cool" way). Even if his attitude doesn't fit, that sort of sleekness is just sort of characteristic of him.

Plus, the size difference would just be a feat-setter for godzilla. That's the case with ALL massive villians, really. Ghidorah should tower over G, but having his head be basically the size of godzilla's torso would make him less... suspenseful. If ghidorah can hold his own without being some massive, frizzy, spiky amalgamation of death, him beating the shit out of godzilla will have people on the edge of their seats wondering "Is he going to beat godzilla" rather than "How is godzilla going to beat him?"

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I know he's going to treat someone else's monsters (Toho's) with complete care and respect. Just like Edwards did.
That's probably going to give me nightmares tonight. :shock:

KingKaiju wrote:
I love the Legendary Godzilla design, because while he's been updated, he's still very much Godzilla

Ryguy wrote:
Legendary Godzilla barely looks like any of the Godzillas we have seen before

This thread belongs at the end of a rainbow. Because it's full of gold.
Last edited by ScottA on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:

Different is fine. I just disagree with the more brutish and chaotic approach. To me, ghidorah needs to be prestigious and awesome(not in the "wow cool" way). Even if his attitude doesn't fit, that sort of sleekness is just sort of characteristic of him.

Plus, the size difference would just be a feat-setter for godzilla. That's the case with ALL massive villians, really. Ghidorah should tower over G, but having his head be basically the size of godzilla's torso would make him less... suspenseful. If ghidorah can hold his own without being some massive, frizzy, spiky amalgamation of death, him beating the shit out of godzilla will have people on the edge of their seats wondering "Is he going to beat godzilla" rather than "How is godzilla going to beat him?"
Maybe Ghidorah's heads might be a tad too big, I agree, but what's so wrong with him looking intimidating? The MUTOs and Ramarak already looked to be inferior to their respective opponents, why not give us something a little different? It would make Godzilla look all the more powerful. A huge budget and the rights to Godzilla's arch-rival, why not take advantage of that and develop something truly epic?

But all factors considered, if Ghidorah looks anything like he did in that 4chan "leak" a few months back, we're fucked. He looked like the dragon from Mulan for fuck's sake

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

ScottA wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:I know he's going to treat someone else's monsters (Toho's) with complete care and respect. Just like Edwards did.
That's probably going to give me nightmares tonight. :shock:

KingKaiju wrote:
I love the Legendary Godzilla design, because while he's been updated, he's still very much Godzilla

Ryguy wrote:
Legendary Godzilla barely looks like any of the Godzillas we have seen before

This thread belongs at the end of a rainbow. Because it's full of gold.
Well, yeah. To my point. He's a very different Godzilla, he's been updated, and yet he ratins all the physical characteristics that make him Godzilla. Just in the same way that he did when he was brought back in Godzilla 2000, just as he did in Shin Godzilla, which I would argue is an even bigger change up than the Legendary film.

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

I'm not a huge fan of the G2000 changes. But When they created it. I'm pretty sure nobody said anything remotely as disrespectful as this.
Gareth Edwards: "I want to give him the snout of a bear, and the eye brows of an eagle".

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

ScottA wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the G2000 changes. But When they created it. I'm pretty sure nobody said anything remotely as disrespectful as this.
Gareth Edwards: "I want to give him the snout of a bear, and the eye brows of an eagle".
That's funny, because that's exactly what I think of looking at "Anigoji"

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

ScottA wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the G2000 changes. But When they created it. I'm pretty sure nobody said anything remotely as disrespectful as this.
I don't exactly see what's so "disrespectful" about that. He's just describing the design process behind his Godzilla. :eh:

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Yeah I don’t see how that is anyway disrespectful.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Ryguy wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:

Maybe Ghidorah's heads might be a tad too big, I agree, but what's so wrong with him looking intimidating? The MUTOs and Ramarak already looked to be inferior to their respective opponents, why not give us something a little different? It would make Godzilla look all the more powerful. A huge budget and the rights to Godzilla's arch-rival, why not take advantage of that and develop something truly epic?

But all factors considered, if Ghidorah looks anything like he did in that 4chan "leak" a few months back, we're fucked. He looked like the dragon from Mulan for fuck's sake
Intimidating is fine, spiky and hellish doesn't always translate into that. It's almost tryhard-ish, really, and definitely not necessary to make ghidorah look badass.

It's kind of like what they TRIED to do with keizer ghidorah. They made an attempt to make him more terrifying and intimidating, but ended up just making something so over the top it was ultimately hard to take seriously.

Tall, golden, and sleek would give that majestic yet imposing look characteristic of ghidorah.

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

Gerdzerl wrote:
I don't exactly see what's so "disrespectful" about that. He's just describing the design process behind his Godzilla.

Tyrant28 wrote:
Yeah I don’t see how that is anyway disrespectful.

In the words of another great character from my generation: "That is why you fail."