Lack of anticipation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
tenup
G-Force Personnel

Lack of anticipation

Post by tenup »

Regarding this "monsterverse" it's cool to have this Godzilla sequel to look forward to. It's just that I have zero hype for it. I thought 2014 was decent but nothing special. With Kong it was more or less the same. These movies are not doing what Shin Godzilla did for me which left a lasting impression. On top of that Godzilla 2014 seemed to lose its momentum long ago. Even though there is Still room for potential in this cinematic universe I just think Legendary is just adapting a tired concept that is being overdone with the Marvel and DC films. Im all for Kong and Godzilla sharing the same universe but the 2 being put up against one another is not necessary IMO.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Lack of anticipation

Post by Zarm »

I for one am psyched. I found 2014 to be the best Godzilla film in the last 12 years, and remains the peak of kaiju films since. Skull Island didn't do as much for me, but I liked the characters well enough to be looking forward to a sequel. That, plus the return/re-imagining of several classic monsters and a cast of actors whom I enjoy in other performacnes seems like a win to me; I can't wait for King of the Monsters.

Vs. Kong I'm less hyped for, but that's more just from trepidation about their approach and arguments with people whose approach I strongly disagree with on these forums... I'm sure that once the actual film comes around, I'll be quite psyched for that one, too, especially if King of the Monsters is good. Honestly, the only thing that has me less than excited is the backlash from the number of people that don't see the Spielbergian, visually-masterful, tension-building, magnificent approach to 2014, and the fear that the studio will listen to that and make a much dumber, watered-down sequel rather than retaining all the elements that made 2014 great.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'm less hyped because I'm broke and that makes watching movies difficult, but I'm still really interested in seeing what the Monsterverse has in store.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

It has been a very long, tedious wait lol. I myself have been going in and out of hype but I think most of us here will be really excited once we see a trailer 6-7 months from now.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Mind you it's hard to hype for something still well over a year away. I'm excited for the mere fact that as much as I hate G14 and am somewhat lukewarm to KSI they still seem to steadily start going in the right direction. Plus I really like how some of the cast members seems to really have enjoyed making the next film and genuinely excited about this film coming out. Their enthusiasm has rubbed off on me and made me more excited than I initially was. That and Dougherty and Wingard both really seem like genuine fans and seem to mostly know their shit when it comes to the franchise. Gareth said he was a fan and brought up the 54 film on several occasions but rarely if ever talked about the series beyond that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Well, in defense of the Monsterverse, Toho created a shared universe between their characters long before Marvel even could put that idea together. I, personally, am super hyped though. I love my classic Godzilla and kaiju films. But here are are, with a series of Godzilla films, made with high budgets, and special effects that just weren't possible with the Japanese films. The 2014 film wasn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be. It just needs to hit the right notes. I also just think that it'll be hard for a U.S. company, with U.S. filmmakers, to really hit the note with Godzilla. He's a very very Japanese character, and a lot of that just gets lost in translation with us.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Anticipation grows closer to release if a film has people talking. KotM just finished filming three months ago. People aren't talking about it because nothing enormous (*ahem*) has been revealed yet.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Anticipation grows closer to release if a film has people talking. KotM just finished filming three months ago. People aren't talking about it because nothing enormous (*ahem*) has been revealed yet.
When do you think we will start seeing stuff about it? I say spring.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

morgoth wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Anticipation grows closer to release if a film has people talking. KotM just finished filming three months ago. People aren't talking about it because nothing enormous (*ahem*) has been revealed yet.
When do you think we will start seeing stuff about it? I say spring.
I think we can expect something along the line of KSI where they drop a trailer at comic-con

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I doubt we'll see anything till ComicCon. Probably a teaser poster Wednesday or Thursday of the Con and then of course a panel and teaser that Saturday.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

We are not getting anything until June or July at the earliest for this. That might be a poster and teaser and a full on trailer around September/October.

We still have a way's to go before hype will begin for Godzilla 2. Better that they hold off anyways. With Avengers trailer release, Jurassic World trailer next week the hype are going to be on those films mostly. We may get little things before then but not much, I'm sure they have a lot of CGI to work on with the effects that are going to be on the film. Which is probably 100X more then Edward's had to work on.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Anything they do now will be lost with Avengers, Solo and other big name movies coming out soon. Might get a teaser poster before comic con, then a trailer at comic con. It'll be interesting how they market GKOTM as Kong had great hype at first, then it just died as they didn't do any marketing till a few weeks before release. They salvaged that film because it was looking like a disaster for awhile.

GvsKong is going to be fun. Can't wait to see the marketing for that one.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tenup wrote:Regarding this "monsterverse" it's cool to have this Godzilla sequel to look forward to. It's just that I have zero hype for it. I thought 2014 was decent but nothing special. With Kong it was more or less the same. These movies are not doing what Shin Godzilla did for me which left a lasting impression. On top of that Godzilla 2014 seemed to lose its momentum long ago. Even though there is Still room for potential in this cinematic universe I just think Legendary is just adapting a tired concept that is being overdone with the Marvel and DC films. Im all for Kong and Godzilla sharing the same universe but the 2 being put up against one another is not necessary IMO.
Can relate, due to recent run ins with some of the more assholish fans in the fandumb, my hype for a new era of giant monster movies has been tempered a bit, like a rain at a parade.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

tenup wrote:Im all for Kong and Godzilla sharing the same universe but the 2 being put up against one another is not necessary IMO.

The what now?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

^ Godzilla vs Kong seems like a far fetched concept in this movie series. Not to mention I personally prefer Kong in his original 25-50 ft range. If they make Kong any bigger than he is in Skull Island it would take away the effect of his character.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

The Monsterverse was created when G14 was in post with it leading to Kong and Godzilla fighting. Can't be that far fetched when it was the plan from the getgo
Last edited by Chris55 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

It's like 2 years away. The hype will build up exponentially as we get closer.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Chris55 wrote:The Monsterverse was created when G14 was in post with it leading to Kong and Godzilla fighting. Can't be that far fetched when it was the plan from the getgo
This is contrary to the information I have. As far as I know Godzilla was originally set for a trilogy having nothing to do with Kong from the beginning. Nothing was certain when LP released Godzilla in 2014 and it was left at that until Warner obtained the rights to Kong and decided to create this shared universe. I'm looking forward to 2019 to see this sequel for Godzilla but not anticipated as much as I had been for 2014 and Shin Godzilla.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

tenup wrote:
Chris55 wrote:The Monsterverse was created when G14 was in post with it leading to Kong and Godzilla fighting. Can't be that far fetched when it was the plan from the getgo
This is contrary to the information I have. As far as I know Godzilla was originally set for a trilogy having nothing to do with Kong from the beginning. Nothing was certain when LP released Godzilla in 2014 and it was left at that until Warner obtained the rights to Kong and decided to create this shared universe. I'm looking forward to 2019 to see this sequel for Godzilla but not anticipated as much as I had been for 2014 and Shin Godzilla.
It's in here: https://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/ ... -2017.html

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Ivo-goji wrote:I'm less hyped because I'm broke and that makes watching movies difficult, but I'm still really interested in seeing what the Monsterverse has in store.
Eh, so am I, but it's only about 10 dollars to see movies, and I don't really buy much else that is a "want" rather than a "need" besides junk food, so it's not that serious for me. I'm far more concerned with the money I wasted on fucking useless textbooks this year -_-

But yeah, I'm pretty hyped. Not as hyped as I will be in December of '18, bearing in mind we still have over a year until KotM releases, but I am still excited.

People need to quit analyzing levels of hype for a non-Star Wars/non-Marvel franchise this early before any promotional material has been revealed. It's exciting, but it is a little difficult to be psyched for something that we still have over a year to wait for. Talk to me in July when we could supposedly be getting a teaser, and then I'll be exponentially more excited. I mean, shit, we still have over half a year before we likely see ANYTHING of substance (minus a possible title card in March or something)
Last edited by Ryguy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"