How would TK feel about a Pacific Rim crossover?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Would you like a Pacific Rim crossover?

Yes
28%
No
58%
Yes, only if Godzilla ends up teaming up with the Jaegers
8%
Yes, only if Godzilla doesn't team up with the Jaegers
6%

Total votes: 85

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Re: How would TK feel about a Pacific Rim crossover?

Post by LockBite »

I really hated PR’s tone and overloads of Power Rangers cheese. Beyond that, the universe PR inhabits has different rules. Kaiju are generally weaker, softer, more numerous, and more disposable. And undeniably, even if he just sat there, Godzilla would steal every scene.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

After seeing Pacific Rim 2, while it’s not horrible and actually has some decent action, I can easily say mix

Pacific Rim is too focused on badass robots with little regard or austerity for the Kaiju. The Kaiju of PR aren’t viewed in the same godlike or glowing way as Godzilla, and they’re all interchangeable.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

I'm pretty pessimistic on the long-term prospects for PR. I like the first movie for what it is, don't get me wrong, but I feel like a crossover would do a lot more for PR than for the MonsterVerse. As a franchise, the MonsterVerse doesn't need PR.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

^"butt... wut about gipsy Danger and godzilla teeming up :( :( :("
Last edited by Ryguy on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The only way I can really see a crossover working at some point is the two dimensions meeting one another like Godzilla being brought over to the PR dimension or vice versa or PR kaiju finding a way into the MonsterVerse through a rift. They're rather too different to be sharing the same universe considering the different tech.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Pacific Rim is too focused on badass robots with little regard or austerity for the Kaiju. The Kaiju of PR aren’t viewed in the same godlike or glowing way as Godzilla, and they’re all interchangeable.
Totally! I'm not even sure why fans tend to classify them as kaiju movies; they're movies about big vehicles, and they use kaiju as fodder.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

After seeing PR2… hell no, still.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Pacific Rim is too focused on badass robots with little regard or austerity for the Kaiju. The Kaiju of PR aren’t viewed in the same godlike or glowing way as Godzilla, and they’re all interchangeable.
Totally! I'm not even sure why fans tend to classify them as kaiju movies; they're movies about big vehicles, and they use kaiju as fodder.
I agree with this statement 100%.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:After seeing PR2… hell no, still.
I just got back from seeing Uprising, and I wholeheartedly agree.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

eabaker wrote:
That's literally the plot of the entire PR franchise kaiju have always been fodder.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ernesth100 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
That's literally the plot of the entire PR franchise kaiju have always been fodder.
Hence my point: it's not a kaiju franchise, it's a franchise that happens to have some kaiju in it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

eabaker wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Hence my point: it's not a kaiju franchise, it's a franchise that happens to have some kaiju in it.
Ah fair point at that. But that's exactly why a crossover might work. The contrasting themes might make for a greater clash.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:After seeing PR2… hell no, still.
Aeffingmen.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

ernesth100 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
ernesth100 wrote: That's literally the plot of the entire PR franchise kaiju have always been fodder.
Ah fair point at that. But that's exactly why a crossover might work. The contrasting themes might make for a greater clash.
It's really not though.
Throwing two series with completely different overall tones, styles, and themes together won't make something interesting, it will make something messy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
It's really not though.
Throwing two series with completely different overall tones, styles, and themes together won't make something interesting, it will make something messy.
Well, now I'm torn.

Juxtaposition is one of the most powerful weapons in an artist's arsenal. A good storyteller can wring amazing emotion and energy out of a meaningful contrasting of disparate elements, tones or styles.

But that past where the juxtaposition has to be meaningful, that's what I don't see. At a fundamental story/thematic level, what could a PR/Godzilla crossover be about? What could it be saying?

Okay, not torn. I still don't think it's a good idea.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

eabaker wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
ernesth100 wrote: Ah fair point at that. But that's exactly why a crossover might work. The contrasting themes might make for a greater clash.
It's really not though.
Well, now I'm torn.

Juxtaposition is one of the most powerful weapons in an artist's arsenal. A good storyteller can wring amazing emotion and energy out of a meaningful contrasting of disparate elements, tones or styles.

But that past where the juxtaposition has to be meaningful, that's what I don't see. At a fundamental story/thematic level, what could a PR/Godzilla crossover be about? What could it be saying?

Juxtaposition is great - shoving two polar opposites in a blender because they both have giant monsters is not.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
eabaker wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote: It's really not though.
Well, now I'm torn.

Juxtaposition is great - shoving two polar opposites in a blender because they both have giant monsters is not.
And I think part of the problem I see is that they're not even polar opposites; if they were, then the juxtaposition would almost invariably reveal a meaning in pairing the two. They're different, but not in ways that complement one another. And PR really just doesn't bring enough to the table.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

eabaker wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Well, now I'm torn.

And I think part of the problem I see is that they're not even polar opposites; if they were, then the juxtaposition would almost invariably reveal a meaning in pairing the two. They're different, but not in ways that complement one another. And PR really just doesn't bring enough to the table.
Out of curiosity, what would be the example of a good juxtaposition, per say?
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dynomy-DX wrote:
eabaker wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote: Juxtaposition is great - shoving two polar opposites in a blender because they both have giant monsters is not.
Out of curiosity, what would be the example of a good juxtaposition, per say?
The first thing that pops into my head is gore and slapstick comedy, as in Evil Dead II or Dead Alive.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:
Because it's about mechs fighting kaiju. :|