Realism: Yes or No?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Should the MonsterVerse focus on realism only?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 34

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Realism: Yes or No?

Post by Vakanai »

I think we're getting too caught up in the exact definitions here. Despite what the dictionary or scholars might say about verisimilitude and realism, the real point is how fans and filmmakers mean these words. Honestly I think when most of the GA or a lot of the fandom say realism, they really mean verisimilitude but they don't really know that word exists or think of it much. I know I never heard of verisimilitude until I was already an adult and saw a discussion about the 1970's Superman movie (heck, I can't remember how to spell it even now, thank you spellcheck and cut and paste). Realism was the big catchphrase when The Dark Knight hit theaters, but again I think people meant verisimilitude. The Godzilla film isn't very realistic, but it has verisimilitude up the wazoo.

Never mind certain people, fans and filmmakers, will always differ on what they mean by realism. For some, it means ground it, or have people react in a real world way. Others just want their CG to look real/good, job done.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The draw of realism to me is seeing what it would be like if a major fantastical world changing event occurred in real life. G14 may have been grounded but it didn't exactly feel realistic.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The draw of realism to me is seeing what it would be like if a major fantastical world changing event occurred in real life. G14 may have been grounded but it didn't exactly feel realistic.
I agree, we didn't get much of a sense of the world reaction to all this. It would have been cool if the name 'Godzilla' went public after Hawaii, and it was this crazy thing buzz word on everyone's lips and in newspaper headlines.