General MonsterVerse Complaints Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: General MonsterVerse Complaints Thread

Post by RamshackleRanger »

My biggest complaint is probably just the fact that they aren't building up more before GvK.
From what i've seen, the key to a successful cinematic universe is a lot like a tree. The monsterverse is more like a stump. (Enjoy this shitty MSpaint diagram I made to demonstrate. I know theres prolly a few i forgot about)

This is what made marvel successful. Even though the characters weren't very popular at first, they created great movies that built up a fanbase and brought them together later. This way there was more hype.

Then again, i'm not exactly a professional film analyst, so this might be null and void.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:My biggest complaint is probably just the fact that they aren't building up more before GvK.
From what i've seen, the key to a successful cinematic universe is a lot like a tree. The monsterverse is more like a stump. (Enjoy this shitty MSpaint diagram I made to demonstrate. I know theres prolly a few i forgot about)

This is what made marvel successful. Even though the characters weren't very popular at first, they created great movies that built up a fanbase and brought them together later. This way there was more hype.

Then again, i'm not exactly a professional film analyst, so this might be null and void.
I understand the premise here, but I don't know what else they can reasonably do before GvsKK. You have a.) Godzilla backstory, b.) Kong backstory, c.) big thing/fight/storyline that happens that directly affects one player and directly/indirectly affects both and d.) the climax where the stories converge.

I feel like the only other thing you can do is a have a series of good movies for one monster, but being as though they are monsters and not people that's going to be harder to do (notice how, since you mentioned Marvel, the Iron Man movies first and foremost made the Marvel movies surprising critical darlings, but the Hulk movies didn't do as well and suffered through a reboot/lead actor change -- and that was with a half-monster).
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:My biggest complaint is probably just the fact that they aren't building up more before GvK.
From what i've seen, the key to a successful cinematic universe is a lot like a tree. The monsterverse is more like a stump.
At least they're doing better than DC, whose diagram would look like a plate of spaghetti. I mean, at least with their big vs. movie, they've actually given each of the participants at least one film beforehand. ;)
Spoiler:
Second movie a tangent that doesn't actually have a connecting line to the first, third movie that's a big crossover being a direct sequel to the first, fourth being the introduction to a character introduced in the fourth, fifth being a bigger crossover that's a direct sequel to the third, followed by individual introductions to characters already introduced there, including a movie that's- what, sixth or seventh?- that's also an actual direct sequel to the first, but probably heavily affected by the life-changing events that occurred in the third and fifth movies...
vibramrunner wrote:I understand the premise here, but I don't know what else they can reasonably do before GvsKK. You have a.) Godzilla backstory, b.) Kong backstory, c.) big thing/fight/storyline that happens that directly affects one player and directly/indirectly affects both and d.) the climax where the stories converge.
I agree that there's not a lot else they could've done- after all, Godzilla vs. Kong has far fewer players than the Avengers to build up beforehand, and wouldn't have a lot more relevance to do repeatedly (especially Kong; contriving to get Godzilla onto Skull Island or Kong off will be hard enough once; to do more Kong films in-between would require even more back-breaking; repeatedly finding a way to either make this isolated location relevant to the wider world or tease its guardian off of it). I mean, I completely agree about the buildup of a cinematic universe generally, and what made Marvel successful- I'm just not sure it's applicable here because of the nature of this crossover.

Two things to consider, though:
-This is the exact number of movies in the franchise (unless you count Son of Kong) that the actual Toho series had... two Godzilla films and one Kong, followed by a meetup.

-Take any given pair of characters from Avengers (let's use the Iron Man/Thor fight from Avengers for now), and this is exactly the setup they'd had at that point. Like Godzilla, Iron Man had had two films (the second one introducing additional characters that would pay off later; Black Widow and War Machine... indeed, if, say, King Ghidorah comes back as a big bad in GvK while Mothra doesn't but comes back later, the analogue would be almost perfect for Black Widow appearing in Avengers and War Machine being saved for Iron man 3 and beyond), and like Kong, Thor (or Cap, or Hulk, for that matter), had had one.

In other words, if you strip out the films for characters not appearing in the two-character model, they've had exactly as much development as each of the respective characters in Avengers did. (That's part of why I get ticked off at the repeated 'maybe Kong saves people from Godzilla's careless rampaging' speculations; to my mind, Godzilla is the Iron Man here... the focus character, and the nominal hero against other challengers (though, like Tony, he has his rough edges and may cause some havoc or get into fights with other 'good guys' and sometimes end up in an antagonist role, he nonetheless is never meant to the villain). Of course, we'll see if KoM bears out that interpretation.)

All that said, I do envision Godzilla vs. Kong as more like the Avengers (or, loathe as I am to use an example from the Dumpsterfire-Comics-Cinematic-Universe, the Batman v Superman) of the universe, in that it's not meant to be the climax or culmination of the universe, just a first major stepping stone along a journey which is meant to continue longer. So I don't see the current setup as a failure of sufficient buildup, since what's being built up to is not meant to be the end-all, be-all of the franchise. However, series profitability, contracts, or simply creative team choices that I haven't heard of may render that belief wrong, too. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The biggest problem I have with the MonsterVerse is that the films are bogged down with bad writing and muddled directing. G14 has some really well done Godzilla and MUTO scenes, but as cool as they are the characters and story are just flat out dull and don't have much to say. Same thing with Kong really, I didn't care for the story or characters outside of Brie Larson's tank top. A little bit of life put into the films would go a long way. Hopefully GKOTM and GVK are worthwhile outside of the effects scene because the fact that we have an American Godzilla franchise is crazy.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I agree with everything but this. The comparison is flawed and almost laughable. Alien and G14 aren't even remotely comparable. Godzilla is not a horror character or slasher villain. Godzilla is a 350 ft dinosaur thing. Where the hell is he gonna hide. He's not a shark in the ocean or a killer alien in a giant spaceship full of twisted passageways and dark corridors. Besides once Godzilla appears we pretty much know exactly where he's at the whole rest of the time anyway. So what's the point of hiding him?

Added in 5 minutes 52 seconds:
Alien and Jaws are like Halloween house of horrors. G14 felt more like a man with a dollar bill on a fishing line and yanking it away whenever somebody tries to grab it.
Couldn't have said it any better. ;)