Whiny article in the Guardian

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: Whiny article in the Guardian

Post by The Octopus »

Well in all fairness these type of "versus" movies tend to be weak. Lets be honest here. Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, King Kong vs Godzilla, Batman vs Superman, Freddy vs Jason and Aliens vs Predator weren't exactly great films.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

>implying Toho had choice to do something better than suits

Hey wtf I hate fake news now
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Well in all fairness these type of "versus" movies tend to be weak. Lets be honest here. Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, King Kong vs Godzilla, Batman vs Superman, Freddy vs Jason and Aliens vs Predator weren't exactly great films.
Agreed, but with what we've heard with the writers' room as ect and Wingard's recent comments, I'm hoping GvK turns the tide on the versus genre.

That and, I don't think 'Warner Brothers' want another BvS situation in their hands, and this is coming from someone who actually likes BvS (the Ultimate Cut at least).
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Well in all fairness these type of "versus" movies tend to be weak. Lets be honest here. Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, King Kong vs Godzilla, Batman vs Superman, Freddy vs Jason and Aliens vs Predator weren't exactly great films.
Sadly, I think Aliens vs Predator has been the high point of the Aliens franchise post-1986, and Frankenstein meets the Wolfman had one of the more compelling plots of the post Bride-of-Frankenstein entries (due largely to Talbot's tragic condition). But I take your meaning; those are due to the deterioration of the series rather than inherent quality of the entries.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, I don't think that author quite understands. I know Hollywood is obsessed with crossovers and vs. movies, and vs. movies don't have the best rep to begin with, especially Godzilla. But it CAN be done right. At the end of the day, yes most just want to see two monsters fighting, but I believe it will be more than that. You can't compare this film to the previous movie, or even to any previous films featuring Kong or Godzilla. This is meant to be different. I have total faith in Wingard that he will do both characters justice, while delivering a movie that will satisfy all who see it.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I haven't seen BvS, and I certainly don't have a very high opinion of FvJ or AvP.

But Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and King Kong vs. Godzilla are both, at the bare minimum, not crap; and that alone puts them in the top 10% of human art and entertainment (per Theodore Sturgeon).

That said, in the case of KKvsG, a lot of its strength comes from its awareness of the absurdity of its own concept.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

KKvG is in my top ten G films. It's a very fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. And Captain America: Civil War was a really good VS movie I would say.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GalacticPetey wrote:KKvG is in my top ten G films. It's a very fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. And Captain America: Civil War was a really good VS movie I would say.
KKvsG is in my top 3 G films. Maybe my top 2.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Thinking about it, it's probably even top 5 for me.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I would call KKvG a guilty pleasure. Fight me, but I prefer the US re-score in some parts. /shrug

-but yeah, "vs" films have a notorious bad rep.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

SpaceG92 wrote:I would call KKvG a guilty pleasure. Fight me, but I prefer the US re-score in some parts. /shrug

Why would you call it a guilty pleasure when it's actually a decent movie?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:I would call KKvG a guilty pleasure. Fight me, but I prefer the US re-score in some parts. /shrug

<unrelated image>
~~~because I have bad tastes in movies.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

SpaceG92 wrote: ~~~because I have bad tastes in movies.
REEEEEEE GET OUT YOU CAN ONLY LIKE SHOWA

In all seriousness, it is true that "vs" movies have a stigma that's justfied most of the time, the whole article really comes off as nerd elitism.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

<unrelated image>
~~~because I have bad tastes in movies.
Nah, man. Don't think like that. You like what you like. Taste is subjective after all.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

But they are iconic. Well, most of those.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^ Iconic isn't the issue. Its the quality of the film that is the point of contention.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Good article, to be honest. I was against a Kong vs Godzilla film when people first started talking about it before Legendary had even acquired the rights, for many of the reasons the article gives. I'm still pretty skeptical. Looking forward to the G14 sequel far more.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:In all seriousness, it is true that "vs" movies have a stigma that's justified most of the time, the whole article really comes off as nerd elitism.
I just file that away under Sturgeon's Revelation. 90% of "vs" movies are crap, but that's actually not a worse average than anything else.