Monster Speculation: KING GHIDORAH

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Monster Speculation: KING GHIDORAH

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:*Lain :P
Uh... I was talking about that other guy, Zain of the Mired! :mrgreen:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I want him to giggle (each head having a different pitch) and spaz out like crazy like he did in the 60's films.

The cave painting looked like it had manes, so I think it's safe to assume MonverVerse Ghidorah will have hair.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

(Looks at above posts_

Next person who posts spam will be issued a warning.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Living Corpse wrote:I want him to giggle (each head having a different pitch) and spaz out like crazy like he did in the 60's films.

The cave painting looked like it had manes, so I think it's safe to assume MonverVerse Ghidorah will have hair.
I'm not sure I want the full 'spaz', but definitely an evil cackle rather than the generic roars he's had since. And hair, yes, bring back the hair!

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I probably stand alone on this, but Dorat origins please.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I'd like it left vague where Ghidorah comes from with hints that it came from space.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I hope he has alien origins only for the fact that the ancient super species thing will get old, and even though it worked for Godzilla and the Mutos, I'd like to see more monsters that have different origins. I.E mutation, experiments gone wrong, aliens, and I'm even open to mechs. It will just help lively up the scene a little bit.

I think the difference between Guardians of the Galaxy ridiculousness and Showa is that Guardians is backed by good acting, awesome CGI and effects and a good story. Showa really didn't have that and set people up to think that Godzilla is lame, so honestly these movies have to work even harder to prove themselves because audiences already have this presumption in their mind that Godzilla is meant for b-movies and crappy actors. It's not that it can't be done, they just have to be very careful.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

scottzilla wrote:I hope he has alien origins only for the fact that the ancient super species thing will get old, and even though it worked for Godzilla and the Mutos, I'd like to see more monsters that have different origins. I.E mutation, experiments gone wrong, aliens, and I'm even open to mechs. It will just help lively up the scene a little bit.

I think the difference between Guardians of the Galaxy ridiculousness and Showa is that Guardians is backed by good acting, awesome CGI and effects and a good story. Showa really didn't have that and set people up to think that Godzilla is lame, so honestly these movies have to work even harder to prove themselves because audiences already have this presumption in their mind that Godzilla is meant for b-movies and crappy actors. It's not that it can't be done, they just have to be very careful.
I'm of the belief that they have a story to tell with the MonsterVerse based on the faux-realism they've established -- That there is a previously-unknown ecosystem of giant, radioactive monsters living beneath the Earth's crust and that said monsters will reemerge and battle for supremacy. As more about these creatures become known to science/the world in this universe, I think there's significant room to grow into the Sci-Fi/paranormal/alien realm. That said, I don't think we'd see anything like Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters, etc -- Alien invasions, moon bases, mind control, invisibility and so on and so forth -- until after GvsKK. And it's possible that will involve such a rapid departure from what we're given that the movies would essentially be the MonsterVerse in name only.

I think that last part is where TKers miss connections.. Some say the Showa stuff will never happen in the MonsterVerse because most of it is too impractical/b-movie, where as the other half says it pretty much has to happen because the "meh realism" will get too stale. I see a future where both sides can be right: The MonsterVerse goes crazy, but it's the MonsterVerse in name only. (I still think it's unlikely that we see a whole parade of Showa and Heisei monsters fwiw but I digress).

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

vibramrunner wrote:
I'm of the belief that they have a story to tell with the MonsterVerse based on the faux-realism they've established -- That there is a previously-unknown ecosystem of giant, radioactive monsters living beneath the Earth's crust and that said monsters will reemerge and battle for supremacy. As more about these creatures become known to science/the world in this universe, I think there's significant room to grow into the Sci-Fi/paranormal/alien realm. That said, I don't think we'd see anything like Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters, etc -- Alien invasions, moon bases, mind control, invisibility and so on and so forth -- until after GvsKK. And it's possible that will involve such a rapid departure from what we're given that the movies would essentially be the MonsterVerse in name only.

I think that last part is where TKers miss connections.. Some say the Showa stuff will never happen in the MonsterVerse because most of it is too impractical/b-movie, where as the other half says it pretty much has to happen because the "meh realism" will get too stale. I see a future where both sides can be right: The MonsterVerse goes crazy, but it's the MonsterVerse in name only. (I still think it's unlikely that we see a whole parade of Showa and Heisei monsters fwiw but I digress).
Yeah I agree. We got the big 4, 5 if you include Kong, and at this point I have really no interest in seeing any of the other Toho monsters, save maybe references like the obvious Kumonga/Mother long legs thing, or maybe easter eggs in some of the dialogue between characters about other monsters, but that's it.

I think it can go crazy but it needs to be done with caution, that's my only reservation. The monsters already look 1,000 times better than their showa counterparts which definitely helps, that was half the battle of that era was how stupid some of the monsters looked.

I think it would be a smart move for Legendary to make a movie about Monarch, after GvK. People can only take "this monster vs that monster" for so long until you need some sort of break in between, plus it would be awesome to see how they came about, it'd be a nice way to introduce some fresh monsters besides the big ones, etc.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

scottzilla wrote:The monsters already look 1,000 times better than their showa counterparts which definitely helps, that was half the battle of that era was how stupid some of the monsters looked.
You haven't even seen the Monsterverse's designs of the other Toho kaiju. I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that. It is entirely possible that any of the designs we haven't seen could end up looking like bland shit compared to the Showa designs.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

BooLugosi wrote: You haven't even seen the Monsterverse's designs of the other Toho kaiju. I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that. It is entirely possible that any of the designs we haven't seen could end up looking like bland shit compared to the Showa designs.
That's fair, and I should have specified I meant what we've gotten from Godzilla and Kong. The trend does seem to be set to honor the past(unlike GINO), but update them for modern movie goers. They look much more believable.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

scottzilla wrote:
BooLugosi wrote: You haven't even seen the Monsterverse's designs of the other Toho kaiju. I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that. It is entirely possible that any of the designs we haven't seen could end up looking like bland shit compared to the Showa designs.
That's fair, and I should have specified I meant what we've gotten from Godzilla and Kong. The trend does seem to be set to honor the past(unlike GINO), but update them for modern movie goers. They look much more believable.
I respectfully disagree that they are better looking simply because of realism. They may look more realistic but that doesn't automatically translate to looking cooler or more interesting to me. :shrug: G14 might look more real but G54 still looks more intimidating and interesting. I cannot say the same for Toho's old Kong though... Legendary definitely did better on Kong than Toho did.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Or idk, maybe Dougherty's tweets are, well, just tweets?
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Discussion: Wing Wars.

On the subject, I'd be okay with "wing walking" Ghidorah if they had him hiding underground and he adapted to the tunnels and caves. Once he comes onto land after xx time passes he rapidly adapts after <plot reason here> and you hear its bones crack as he adapts to a bipedal stance and the wings turn into something traditional.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

SpaceG92 wrote:Discussion: Wing Wars.

On the subject, I'd be okay with "wing walking" Ghidorah if they had him hiding underground and he adapted to the tunnels and caves. Once he comes onto land after xx time passes he rapidly adapts after <plot reason here> and you hear its bones crack as he adapts to a bipedal stance and the wings turn into something traditional.
Shin Ghidorah?

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I just don't want the ridiculous fan wings that as mobile as cardboard. Those could not logically sustain flight in a creature like that.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'm hoping and expecting for King Ghidorah's design to more or less be the love child of Showa KG and Smaug - I'm surprised to see some people online are resistant to that idea?? Wing walking KG is just logical. He's an Alien Three-headed Wyvern, and Wyverns basically dragon bats (and, thus, move and walk like bats). I'd love to see that, and am really hoping that's the direction they take KG.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Ryguy wrote:I just don't want the ridiculous fan wings that as mobile as cardboard. Those could not logically sustain flight in a creature like that.
Agreed. If they just rip Ghidorah out of a Toho film and leave it as is, it'll look absolutely ridiculous

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Ryguy wrote:I just don't want the ridiculous fan wings that as mobile as cardboard. Those could not logically sustain flight in a creature like that.
I feel like "logically sustain flight" is a real slippery slope when talking about 500 ton monsters flying. If the motions look natural then I guess we can assume the other supernatural elements that keep a gigantic animal from dying under its own weight did the rest. We'll call it a win! :lol:

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I still think they could incorporate the fan-wings somehow. Just look at GMK:

Making his traditional fan-shaped / fin-shaped wings more "believable" / "realistic" / "dynamic" is totally doable in modern CGI. Just look at how they're animated in the PS4 game, for example:

Keep in mind that I'd be perfectly fine with them giving him bat-wings / wyvern-wings, though.