Monster Speculation: KING GHIDORAH

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Monster Speculation: KING GHIDORAH

Post by Dv-218 »

Personally, I don't really want to see any of the Mechas in the Monsterverse. Like said in previous posts, suddenly introducing highly advanced giant robots in a universe that is exactly like ours technology wise would make no sense whatsoever.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I don't know but in the Pac Rim universe, the first Kaiju attack was 2013. 2014 the Jager program begins.....

Not that they are the same universe, but consider this, Monarch could be developing some type of Mecha behind the scenes. Could be in development hell for years due to complexities in tech.

That said, I don't necessarily want to see a mecha in this series, but if we are to assume that at least one monster survives GvK, if not both, they could leave a cliffhanger at the end of the film, not a post credit scene in which there are people discussing the ramifications of dealing with the monsters long term as they walk into a secret facility where they are developing a mecha. Though not necessarily logical, even a Mechagodzilla, because why make a robot monster that looks like a real one. Sure it made sense for aliens to do that and disguise it as Godzilla, but it's also a movie about impossible monsters and why not copy the most powerful of them all. Even if we see only a head of one, very crude and it's explained that they've been working on this project for decades and struggle to make it work.

That way they could easily add on with more films if desired or warranted OR just leave us with "What could have been"

I'd be cool with that,

Sincerely,
MrRockett
Last edited by MrRockett on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

It's hard for me to believe that Monarch has anything in R&D because they were about to get axed in Skull Island and then in Godzilla they were immediately outranked by the US military.

In Pacific Rim mechs are more believable because the scene is set with the expositional introduction. Kaiju appear from an interdimensional breach with advanced race, Jaeger program begins, and so on happens off screen and we are thrown right into the middle of it. There is no precedent of our modern day society to pull us out of the reality that is sculpted from the beginning of the film.

Mechs in the monsterverse would be like having a giant robot appear at the end of Cloverfield. It would be disruptive, distracting, and diminish the quality of the film. It would only work if each film was its own series and not part of a larger aerial of films. Each film could then establish its own "rules" within the first few scenes.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Dv-218 wrote:Personally, I don't really want to see any of the Mechas in the Monsterverse. Like said in previous posts, suddenly introducing highly advanced giant robots in a universe that is exactly like ours technology wise would make no sense whatsoever.
Exactly. It'd make no sense to introduce it suddenly.

Introducing it gradually however, is not out of the question. (And before anyone says Godzilla v Kong is the end of the Monsterverse, then if you're right, you shouldn't be worried about mechs in the first place. Let me get this theory out while you think about how 4 movies would qualify as a cinematic universe and not just a series with a crossover at the end.)

Okay, so Godzilla took place in 2014 and KotM takes place only a short time later according to the Monarch timeline. I think one source says it takes place in 2019, but I'm not sure. On the 2014 timeline entry it says it's time for Monarch to "step out of the shadows". They're their own entity now, and within approximately five years in-universe, they have lovely sci-fi submarines and a helicarrier. Big step up from what was unleashed in '14.

So if the universe continues past GvK (read above parenthetical pair of sentences), this technological growth would reasonably continue and not just suddenly stop, which would be more unreasonable. Eventually this may lead to concepts of superweapons besides shown-to-be-useless nukes and other things, which may lead to attempting biomimetic engineering replicating the titans.

Go big or go extinct. :huge:
Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Personally, I don't really want to see any of the Mechas in the Monsterverse. Like said in previous posts, suddenly introducing highly advanced giant robots in a universe that is exactly like ours technology wise would make no sense whatsoever.
Exactly. It'd make no sense to introduce it suddenly.

Introducing it gradually however, is not out of the question. (And before anyone says Godzilla v Kong is the end of the Monsterverse, then if you're right, you shouldn't be worried about mechs in the first place. Let me get this theory out while you think about how 4 movies would qualify as a cinematic universe and not just a series with a crossover at the end.)

Okay, so Godzilla took place in 2014 and KotM takes place only a short time later according to the Monarch timeline. I think one source says it takes place in 2019, but I'm not sure. On the 2014 timeline entry it says it's time for Monarch to "step out of the shadows". They're their own entity now, and within approximately five years in-universe, they have lovely sci-fi submarines and a helicarrier. Big step up from what was unleashed in '14.

So if the universe continues past GvK (read above parenthetical pair of sentences), this technological growth would reasonably continue and not just suddenly stop, which would be more unreasonable. Eventually this may lead to concepts of superweapons besides shown-to-be-useless nukes and other things, which may lead to attempting biomimetic engineering replicating the titans.

That's a good point actually, if the Monsterverse continues past GvK they can slowly build up to Mechas by more appearances of monsters and advancemets of technology. If it's handled like that, then i'm all for it.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Honestly I'd rather see the Super X's get adapted before the mechs. They are (relatively speaking) more grounded than the usual daikaiju mechs.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Dv-218 wrote:That's a good point actually
Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. :shock: You really think so?

Man, we're becoming a bunch of reasonable pansies lately, what with all this listening to each other's ideas. Gives me the heebeedaba-jeebies. :lol:
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:That's a good point actually
Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. :shock: You really think so?

Man, we're becoming a bunch of reasonable pansies lately, what with all this listening to each other's ideas. Gives me the heebeedaba-jeebies. :lol:
Whoa, that's quite the reaction :lol:
I guess I haven't been on these forums long enough lol.

But seriously, yeah. I was mostly referring to people who want to see Godzilla and Kong team up against either Mechagodzilla or MKG in GvK, which will make no sense considering humanity's development by this point. But a futuristic movie where humanity starts to develop mechanical versions of the titans to deal with them more effectively? Sure, why not.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

#fanwingsconfirmed
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

So, how bout that Ghidorah?

I think it's perfect. Can't find a single flaw.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:So, how bout that Ghidorah?

I think it's perfect. Can't find a single flaw.

The best one besides Godzilla and Rodan. Imo they did Ghidorah justice here, the design is spot on. I absolutely love how the wings and heads look. Can't wait to see this mofo in action :D

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Without a doubt, the best looking Ghidorah that we’ve ever gotten, and this only from seeing him in figure form. I love how much justice they gave to every part of his design, and what makes King Ghidorah who and what he is. You could honestly say that he looks very beautiful and elegant here, but there’s still a sense of terror and horrible power. The wings are properly enormous, the heads really look intimidating and outright scary to me, and those solid horns just add to that. Like, KG just looks absolutely dominating, and looks like he can easily overpower and beat Godzilla’s face in, which is scary to think about when LG is one of the toughest and meanest Godzilla’s that we’ve seen.

I can only imagine how much better Ghidorah will look, even from his MA figure, once we see him bloody drag Earth in his CGI goodness.

#BotM

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Godzilla165 wrote:Without a doubt, the best looking Ghidorah that we’ve ever gotten, and this only from seeing him in figure form. I love how much justice they gave to every part of his design, and what makes King Ghidorah who and what he is. You could honestly say that he looks very beautiful and elegant here, but there’s still a sense of terror and horrible power. The wings are properly enormous, the heads really look intimidating and outright scary to me, and those solid horns just add to that. Like, KG just looks absolutely dominating, and looks like he can easily overpower and beat Godzilla’s face in, which is scary to think about when LG is one of the toughest and meanest Godzilla’s that we’ve seen.

I can only imagine how much better Ghidorah will look, even from his MA figure, once we see him bloody drag Earth in his CGI goodness.
Just thinking about this makes me uncontrollably hyped lol. I definitely agree with you- if this is indeed an accurate representation of how he looks in the movie, then it might replace GKG as my favorite. Also, it definitely sounds like he will be the most threatening one.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Exactly. It'd make no sense to introduce it suddenly.

B-But guys! The realism! The naturalism! At least according to what Sensei has said! :cry:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I do like that the heads are being treated like brothers, it does make sense seeing how each heads are their own individual being.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

They seem to be getting away with everything with this design. If you laid the wings all the way out they’d be more traditional dragon wings, but the way they seem to curve up super recalls the bat look of the classic films. Similarly, they don’t have arms, but I get the sense from the look of the wing bones that he’s sort of dexterous with them, and could use them kind of like limbs.

Like, we were all right. They did both versions of everything at the same time. We were ALL right. :D
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I'm not sold on the horns
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I'm not sold on the horns
Personally, I love them. I think it looks like the heads each have a crown, and that's dope.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Anyone else get an alien vibe from the faces and torso?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Anyone else get an alien vibe from the faces and torso?
I was about to say that too. While he looks reptilian in general, there is just something about his heads and front half that screams "out of this world". And personally, I love how the horns look- they appear to form some sort of a spiked mane, which is rather cool imo.

Also, I might be seeing things, but did anyone notice Ghidorah has what appears to be sickle claws on his feet? Because if they are, that would be pretty awesome.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.