Monster Speculation: KING GHIDORAH

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Speculation: KING GHIDORAH

Post by vibramrunner »

*Just for fun* I would like to propose a radical change to Ghidorah: I would to trade the gravity beams for extreme freezing wind/tornado beams, along with characteristics which accentuate this ability. I'd love to hear what you think!

1.) Historical Perspective: The Earth is thought to have been through five major ice ages, and within ice ages, periods of extreme coolness known as "glacial periods." In most of his Toho iterations, Ghidorah is billed as a world-destroyer -- often the alpha monster of the universe, capable of turning healthy ecosystems into wastelands. We also know that in the MonsterVerse, major world events have been linked to kaiju: The Spanish War, if I'm not mistaken, may have been caused by Godzilla emerging from his slumber and attacking ships. It is reasonable, then, that Ghidorah may have perpetuated the conditions for ice ages or glacial periods to occur.

2.) Natural Habitat: I've heard the idea that Ghidorah is in a prison, of sorts: encapsulated in ice in Antarctica. But why does it have to be a prison? Clearly, Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan are able to enter extremely long states of hibernation/inactivity (which in Ghidorah's case may also explain why the Earth in not always in the midst of a glacial period), so Ghidorah should have such abilities as well. Indeed, in my scenario, ice is his natural, safe environment.

3.) Differentiation: Opinions on Shin Godzilla may differ -- I thought it was an eclectic, thought-provoking, but ultimately uneven movie -- but the city destruction scene should have near-unanimous support. It was AWESOME.. from the nuclear blast of the initial hit to the slicing cut through the city's skyline. It was SO awesome, in fact, that Ghidorah's gravity beams just might not cut it in terms of magnitude. Sure, 95% of the audience of KotM probably doesn't even know of Shin Godzilla, but that's not the point -- the point is, it's been done before. Heck, Independence Day 20-some years ago might never be truly topped. Imagine, if you will, Ghidorah having a G'54-type mist breath, but much stronger and expanding, covering an entire city in ice. Then, Ghidorah airs his wings and the whole city shatters, Terminator 2-style.

4.) Popular Convention: Ice dragons, or variations of, are just kinda "in" right now. Obviously, they're important to GoT lore (not just the undead dragon -- there are actual ice dragons in GoT canon).

5.) Rodan: Rodan, to the best of anyone's knowledge, appears to be hibernating in a volcano. If Rodan is to be fire-based, perhaps having some wyvern-like qualities himself, he could be more of a natural adversary to Ghidorah, versus a third wheel. Perhaps it's not Rodan and Godzilla that first find and fight each other like in The Three-Headed Monster, but perhaps Ghidorah emerges first, defeating Godzilla in a thick layer of ice, leading Monarch to make a desperate move by awakening Rodan and Mothra as humanity's only hope until they find a way to resuscitate Godzilla?

6.) Precedent: There's a pretty good front page article on how Anguirus almost made it into All Monsters Attack as an ice monster, would have been really neat.

7.) A Nod to the Past: Changing Ghidorah to more of an ice-based monster could be chance to give a nice nod to one of my personal favorites: Space Godzilla (or as I think of him after seeing Shin: Third-Form Biollante ;-) ). Maybe mix the gold with some dark blue, or even switch it up entirely and give him dark blue scales with gold eyes/horns. Similar to Space G's icicle shoulder pads, maybe give Ghidorah some ice ridges alone his mane or back for definition.

8.) The Balance of Nature: I would love to see Ghidorah connected with Charles Dance's character. Perhaps Dance feels as though Godzilla's emergence is a sign of humanity's unsustainable culture, but that Godzilla, being rather apathetic towards humans, is the problem rather than the solution. He sees the environmental dangers that humanity causes, and decides that the only way to right the world is to release the beast, eliminating humanity and Godzilla both. That Ghidorah would bring about a new ice age in the midst of a warming climate would give the movie substance.

Well, I had a blast writing this this morning. News is slow right now, so if you have any thoughts or opinions, please comment! Even if you hate it, I just did this for fun!
Last edited by vibramrunner on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

The idea sounds cool, really, it does, and it makes sense if he's hibernating in ice...but the iconic gravity beams are just such an important part of King Ghidorah's character and what he is. They kind of go hand in hand with his chaotic nature. It would be like Godzilla spitting poison instead of his atomic breath. I just can't see this going over well with either Toho or the fanbase. That being said, I don't see any issue with some monsters getting new powers in addition to their classic ones. If he had an ice breath as a means to slowly ruin planets and ecosystems, but kept the gravity beams for use in battle and wanton destruction, that could work. I mean, ROM 3 added on fireballs, wing lightning, and life force draining domes to his power set, so why not an ice breath?
Last edited by JesstrK on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Yeah I don't get the Shin Godzilla comparison. Ghidorah's gravity beams can easily cut it in magnitude with today's effects and CGI. Ghidorah's beams in the past could level an entire city block from him spamming it from all three heads, he even flew by cities to raze them to the ground in some movies. Dougherty loves Shin Godzilla, so I'm kinda expecting him to give Ghidorah that level of destruction. The ice powers is alright for additional powers, but unnecessary for a replacement power because one of least things they should be focusing on is trying to 1 up another movie on how strong its monsters are.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

If Dougherty takes Ghidorah's beams in a Shin-like direction I'll squee endlessly like a spoiled happy child.

Oh . . . I'm 'Yojimbo' now. Cool.
Last edited by Shin Gabara on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . .

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm still crossing my fingers that King Ghidorah was not only responsible for the last Ice Age extinction wiping out just a few (Mammoths, Saber-toothed cats, Ground sloths, etc. hence why they're not alive in the MonsterVerse in the present) only for Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra interfering which leads to the cave paintings in the post-credits of K:SI but Permian-Triassic Extinction as well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

Well, given that in the Monarch marketing besides Monster Zero he's also nicknamed as the "devil", I imagine he's gonna be quite the terrifying apocalyptic force in this movie.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

Maybe we'll see different personalities for each head on Ghidorah? Nothing too drastic but I always wanted to see how each head reacts to being stuck with each other and how it possibly affects the way KG operates during combat. For instance the middle head can be the stronger/smarter one who the other heads follow, maybe one head on the side is the psycho character of KG who laughs and sprays gravity beams for fun. Two things that make me imagine this s*** is the victory pose from MechaGhidorah in Godzilla Save the earth or any trio of bad guys in movies (hyenas from the lion king etc.)

It may sound like another vivid imagination from any fan, but honestly just seeing anything that involves the 3 heads interacting with each other would give King Ghidorah more dynamic as a villain rather than just another mindless beast that the plot needs to be evil and cause massive destruction.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe Ghidorah’s heads would casually bite each other for dominance.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

What if besides the three heads having three personalities they also had unique beam attacks? Central head with clsssic gravity beams, one with fireballs, another with ???

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Spydrmanjr wrote:What if besides the three heads having three personalities they also had unique beam attacks? Central head with clsssic gravity beams, one with fireballs, another with ???
I'd be cool with this if it wasn't so drastic. Keep the lightning theme,but have it applied in different ways. One is more like a lightning strike, one is like a tesla coild or taser that shocks anything in range, ETC.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I would love to see that whenever he uses his Gravity bolts, it should be where you never quite know how they're going to be fired. For instance, if the middle fires one quick stream, then the left would fire an extremely lengthy one, while the right fires three in rapid succession. It would keep Godzilla and co on their toes at all times, and make it difficult for them to even get close. Also, I'd KILL to see Ghidorah's bolts actually possess gravitational properties to them. Like, aside from being immensely hot, what if they also negatively affected the gravitational force around them? Buildings and debris would have a zero gravity effect whenever one of the bolts either struck, or passed by. When combined together, Ghidorah would essentially have the same ability as Keizer Ghidorah, where his bolts can lift up entire monsters, and manipulate them in however he pleased.

#BotM

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

Godzilla165 wrote:I would love to see that whenever he uses his Gravity bolts, it should be where you never quite know how they're going to be fired. For instance, if the middle fires one quick stream, then the left would fire an extremely lengthy one, while the right fires three in rapid succession. It would keep Godzilla and co on their toes at all times, and make it difficult for them to even get close. Also, I'd KILL to see Ghidorah's bolts actually possess gravitational properties to them. Like, aside from being immensely hot, what if they also negatively affected the gravitational force around them? Buildings and debris would have a zero gravity effect whenever one of the bolts either struck, or passed by. When combined together, Ghidorah would essentially have the same ability as Keizer Ghidorah, where his bolts can lift up entire monsters, and manipulate them in however he pleased.
That would be sick!! :shock:
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I wonder if Ghidorah will have an updated version of his cackle, or they’ll just do some generic monster roar instead.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I wonder if Ghidorah will have an updated version of his cackle, or they’ll just do some generic monster roar instead.
I'd assume since Godzilla has his trademark roar, Ghidorah Mothra and Rodan will all have their roars in some capacity. Granted, they'll likely be updated/modified. But I'm sure they'll have some familiar sound cues.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Or maybe they'll use an altered Rodan roar.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Or maybe they'll use an altered Rodan roar.
Lol. I see what you did there. :D
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Spydrmanjr wrote:What if besides the three heads having three personalities they also had unique beam attacks? Central head with clsssic gravity beams, one with fireballs, another with ???
I like the way you think!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I'd love to see manes and different head adornments.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

LegendZilla wrote:Maybe Ghidorah’s heads would casually bite each other for dominance.
I like that. Rami's Spiderman 2 had a little of that going on with Doc's four tentacles.

Ooooooooo . . . center is the dominant head, have any self-aggression limited to the right and left heads *until* he is nearly defeated . . . at which point all three heads can start snipping at each other.
. . .

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

This is going to sound weird because I don't know what to call it, but something I hope they keep in mind about the wings, if they go with the traditional wings at all, are these swoopy structures at the top -
See that one curved digit? It's there in every Ghidorah design I think and it's something you see ignored in most fan designs.