Monster Speculation: RODAN

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Monster Speculation: RODAN

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Thought it'd be a nice time to start a speculation thread about the MonsterVerse's Rodan, so without further a due, speculate your hearts out~

I have a feeling Rodan is the culprit behind Mount Pinatubo's eruption, along with what started the myth of a volcano monster living inside...

I also predict they'll be a scene where Rodan attempts to attack Mothra, being returned to his "predator" roots, but she deters him with a poisonous defense mechanism..
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Monster Speculation: RODAN

Post by RamshackleRanger »

this might be crazy, what if rodan isn't a pterosaur? we pterosaurs didn't evolve until at least the triassic, maybe later, and it's been implied multiple times that godzilla is permian. Personally, i want godzilla and rodan's species to have some sort of history, so the pterosaur route would be a little inconvenient there.

My idea was maybe some sort of convergently evolved mammal-like reptile, similar to dimetrodon or gorgonopsids. It's unlikely, but it would be cool.

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Post by LegendaryMonster »

I just really hope we get some awesome flight sequences out of Rodan. Him and Mothra battling it out in the sky could make for quite the spectacle.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:this might be crazy, what if rodan isn't a pterosaur? we pterosaurs didn't evolve until at least the triassic, maybe later, and it's been implied multiple times that godzilla is permian. Personally, i want godzilla and rodan's species to have some sort of history, so the pterosaur route would be a little inconvenient there.

My idea was maybe some sort of convergently evolved mammal-like reptile, similar to dimetrodon or gorgonopsids. It's unlikely, but it would be cool.
Yeah no, giant pterosaur/bird like flying reptile, or don't bother having Rodan. I don't understand some people's obsession with mammal-like reptiles just because Godzilla is from the Permian. This Godzilla is definitely some kind of Archosaur

Not against seeing a MLR, maybe for a future new monster. But definitely not for Rodan.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

I can sort of imagine Mothra and Rodan having the biggest beef with each other. In nature, one of the biggest predators for moths are birds. Sometimes birds can be scared off from attacking because of the designs on moth wings, which mimic the eyes of a larger animal ( https://thewondrous.com/a-showcase-of-e ... -rivieres/ ). Not that they should use this design with Mothra necessarily, but I can see some precedent here where these two could be natural enemies. Rodan's not a bird per se, but I can imagine some heated battles between the two.

Regardless, I really like the idea of Mothra somehow utilizing poison and, honestly, if there's one monster who could be capable of some mystic, far-out abilities, I'd have to give it to Mothra. Mothra has room for lots of weird.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

dillonking55 wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:this might be crazy, what if rodan isn't a pterosaur? we pterosaurs didn't evolve until at least the triassic, maybe later, and it's been implied multiple times that godzilla is permian. Personally, i want godzilla and rodan's species to have some sort of history, so the pterosaur route would be a little inconvenient there.

Yeah no, giant pterosaur/bird like flying reptile, or don't bother having Rodan. I don't understand some people's obsession with mammal-like reptiles just because Godzilla is from the Permian. This Godzilla is definitely some kind of Archosaur

Not against seeing a MLR, maybe for a future new monster. But definitely not for Rodan.
When did I say godzilla wasn't an archosaur?

I can see why you would disagree with rodan being a mammal like reptile. It would be different for sure, but i think rodan could pull it off. To each his own i guess.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzilla is over 250 million years old you know and based on the cave paintings in the opening credits of G14 which dates back to 30,000 B.C. shows that Godzilla would venture to the surface once in a while, whose to say that during one of his surface breaches that he stumbled upon Rodan in the Cretaceous?

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

@SenseiTeriyakiV

Sorry, didn't mean to come off aggressive like that. Not directed at you, I've mostly seen it on other message boards/tumblr about Godzilla maybe being a MLR with nothing to back it but the Permian period thing.

Rodan has always come off as basically being a big bird. It would be a huge leap if he suddenly was a ancient flying mammal. But that's just me opinion.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

dillonking55 wrote:@SenseiTeriyakiV

Sorry, didn't mean to come off aggressive like that. Not directed at you, I've mostly seen it on other message boards/tumblr about Godzilla maybe being a MLR with nothing to back it but the Permian period thing.

Rodan has always come off as basically being a big bird. It would be a huge leap if he suddenly was a ancient flying mammal. But that's just me opinion.
Very true, i'm just not sure what other sort of permian backstory would work for him.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Godzilla is over 250 million years old you know and based on the cave paintings in the opening credits of G14 which dates back to 30,000 B.C. shows that Godzilla would venture to the surface once in a while, whose to say that during one of his surface breaches that he stumbled upon Rodan in the Cretaceous?
That would make sense - but i just personally hope the species themselves have a rivalry, not just the individuals.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:That would make sense - but i just personally hope the species themselves have a rivalry, not just the individuals.
Well they can always have Godzilla's species not only living in the Permian but also the Mesozoic too. That's another way around it. ;)

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:That would make sense - but i just personally hope the species themselves have a rivalry, not just the individuals.
Well they can always have Godzilla's species not only living in the Permian but also the Mesozoic too. That's another way around it. ;)
But don't godzilla's need the permian radiation to thrive? Otherwise he would have to stay at the bottom of the ocean or in the hollow earth.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:But don't godzilla's need the permian radiation to thrive? Otherwise he would have to stay at the bottom of the ocean or in the hollow earth.
True, never thought about that, unless they come up that there was radiation in the Mesozoic as well.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'm really REALLY hoping for a dogfighting sequence between Rodan and some fighter jets, a big-budget updated take on the scene from the original film would be GLORIOUS to watch! :D

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Pkmatrix wrote:I'm really REALLY hoping for a dogfighting sequence between Rodan and some fighter jets, a big-budget updated take on the scene from the original film would be GLORIOUS to watch! :D
THIS! I'll be pretty peeved if we don't get a sequence like this. I've been saying for awhile now, if Legendary/WB decide to go ahead with a Rodan film, they should make it like Top Gun, but with giant monsters.

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

dillonking55 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:I'm really REALLY hoping for a dogfighting sequence between Rodan and some fighter jets, a big-budget updated take on the scene from the original film would be GLORIOUS to watch! :D
THIS! I'll be pretty peeved if we don't get a sequence like this. I've been saying for awhile now, if Legendary/WB decide to go ahead with a Rodan film, they should make it like Top Gun, but with giant monsters.
This is an amazing idea, I’ve never wanted a Rodan movie more!

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

LegendaryMonster wrote:
dillonking55 wrote:
This is an amazing idea, I’ve never wanted a Rodan movie more!
Right?! You can set it up like a revenge film. Maybe the main characters buddy/friend/co pilot/whatever is killed in KotM during a dogfight with Rodan & he/she has this suicidal vendetta trying to destroy him. Bring in a new monster for added drama/action, etc. That way it also has some carry over from Godzilla 2.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Just imagine how badass it would be to see a squadron of jets flying amongst the clouds, and they look below and see Rodan flying below, casually keeping up with them. Then, Rodan overtakes the jets, pulls up in front of them, and takes off at supersonic speeds, disappearing in the clouds within literal seconds.

Show us just how fast Rodan truly is, and how easy it is for him to fly that fast, and be that agile.

#BotM

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

He's going to look like shit.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

I have just two criteria:
1- Rodan's a pterosaur. Preferably (in my opinion) without feathers.
2- He's the Monsterverse's flash.
Either way, I can't wait to see him.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:He's going to look like shit.
Why do you think that? Are you a precog?