Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Tyrant28 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm

It was a casting call for stunt doubles for those names. And from that little comic that one of the Blackhall Studioes did of Vera and Millie meeting Mothra adds more to it.
MrRockett wrote:They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

User avatar
GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:02 pm

How does that MOTHRA compare to this new look?
Instagram- @MushroomZeroArt

User avatar
ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 am

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby ebirah_scampi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.

Image

User avatar
Dawsbfiremind
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: My writing desk

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:04 pm

I like the class saying divine/imago. It makes the possibilities even more exiting.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

User avatar
GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:46 pm

ebirah_scampi wrote:Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.


I agree. A more colorful take on the larvae would be interesting.
I hope they keep the eyes too.

Speaking of color, I redid MOTHRA with brighter colors and a more classic wing pattern? What do you guys think?

Image
Instagram- @MushroomZeroArt

User avatar
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Tyrant28 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:52 pm

I would be 100% alright if Mothra looked like that.
MrRockett wrote:They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Loganrules115 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Tyrant28 wrote:I would be 100% alright if Mothra looked like that.

A few changes to the face here and there would make good improvements, but I'd be happy nonetheless.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Tyrant28 wrote:It was a casting call for stunt doubles for those names. And from that little comic that one of the Blackhall Studioes did of Vera and Millie meeting Mothra adds more to it.


That's the studio in Atlanta right? They released a comic?
Image

User avatar
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Tyrant28 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:29 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:It was a casting call for stunt doubles for those names. And from that little comic that one of the Blackhall Studioes did of Vera and Millie meeting Mothra adds more to it.


That's the studio in Atlanta right? They released a comic?

One of the workers there. I made an error.
MrRockett wrote:They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

User avatar
ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 am

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby ebirah_scampi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:
ebirah_scampi wrote:Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.


I agree. A more colorful take on the larvae would be interesting.
I hope they keep the eyes too.

Speaking of color, I redid MOTHRA with brighter colors and a more classic wing pattern? What do you guys think?


The wings look good, but I miss the white head and body and the abdomen stripes.

User avatar
GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 pm

ebirah_scampi wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
ebirah_scampi wrote:Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.


I agree. A more colorful take on the larvae would be interesting.
I hope they keep the eyes too.

Speaking of color, I redid MOTHRA with brighter colors and a more classic wing pattern? What do you guys think?


The wings look good, but I miss the white head and body and the abdomen stripes.

I noticed this while I was making it. I think this is supposed to be her underside which would explain the Antennae coming right out of the eyes.
Instagram- @MushroomZeroArt

User avatar
scottzilla
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:02 am

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby scottzilla » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 am

I wouldn't mind her roar changing, it's not iconic like Godzilla's. I actually love the Legendary roar. Some people mentioned about that weird sound in the middle, that's something I actually love, it's eerie and almost other worldly. I wouldn't mind them doing something similar to Mothra.

The design is exactly as I expected. I giant moth. Glad they're keeping it pretty traditional though and not getting too weird.

Ghidorah's design is going to be make or break for me but they're probably gonna hold that out as long as they possibly can.
Last edited by scottzilla on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby KaijuCanuck » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:14 pm

I hope they don't make Mothra's facial too features too like, gross. Mothra is supposed to kind of pretty for a monster.
Image

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Loganrules115 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:I hope they don't make Mothra's facial too features too like, gross. Mothra is supposed to kind of pretty for a monster.

They might be able to reach a balance between her grace and terror, but given the choice, they should emphasize the former.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Shin Gabara
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:33 pm
Location: Host's Forebrain

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Shin Gabara » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Traditional mandibles or the more mothlike long coiled proboscis? Heretical, but I'd go with the potentially snot shooting tongue and hide the mandibles. There are primitive groups of moths that have mostly non-functioning mandibles, but they're all very drab, but who cares, it's a movie. The stone carving, if at all indicative of the direction, looks a little more 'sphinx moth' than the 'emperor moth' of her usual design. The sphinx moths are fast and active . . . lepidopterian hummingbirds, really, and can have absurdly long proboscisesses . . . es. Hide her jaws until she needs to look threatening or bite something.

Something I'd love, but is *off* and unlikely given what we've seen, is for her phoenix like qualities to be boldly underlined by having her twinned egg only emerge after she 'dies' . . . she doesn't actually die . . . the 'egg' is the part of her that regenerates, it's just that she has to go through the whole birthlifechangelifedeath thing to do it.

Twins though . . . unless the weaker is pushed out of the nest, a ritualistic sacrifice to placate Rodan, or Battra I don't think it quite works.
. . .

User avatar
Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Dracosaurian » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:11 am

For some strange reason I wanna see Mothra actually walk in her adult stage.

User avatar
charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 am

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby charliesheenkaiju » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Dracosaurian wrote:For some strange reason I wanna see Mothra actually walk in her adult stage.


Ehhhh this im not totally against as I don't think Mothras mobility should be restricted to flying, but it would be over the top to give her an anthropomorphic posture rather than her maneuvering on the ground til she gets back in the air.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

User avatar
Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Dracosaurian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 pm

charliesheenkaiju wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:For some strange reason I wanna see Mothra actually walk in her adult stage.


Ehhhh this im not totally against as I don't think Mothras mobility should be restricted to flying, but it would be over the top to give her an anthropomorphic posture rather than her maneuvering on the ground til she gets back in the air.


By walking I meant like an actual moth not upright like a human...

User avatar
charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 am

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby charliesheenkaiju » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Dracosaurian wrote:
By walking I meant like an actual moth not upright like a human...


Didn't think that was what you meant, I was going off some earlier concept art shared in another thread that gave her said upright posture and I wasn't sure if that was also what you considered. Regardless these are GIANT monsters so any sort of movements based on their real-life counterparts will be loosely based at best.
Last edited by charliesheenkaiju on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Postby Godzillian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:53 pm

charliesheenkaiju wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:
By walking I meant like an actual moth not upright like a human...


Didn't think that was what you meant, I was going off some earlier concept art shared in another thread that gave her said upright posture and I wasn't sure if that was also what you considered. Regardless these are GIANT monsters so any sort of movements based on their real-life counterparts will be loosely based at best.

Official early concept art of the monsters was leaked?
Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gojira18 and 6 guests