How likely are classic Ifukube themes?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

How likely are classic Ifukube themes?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

What the title says. I think... somewhat likely? Adam Wingard at least has mentioned Ifukube casually on his Twitter feed, so he knows Ifukube is a big deal and important to the original movies.

I wouldn't want like every piece of music to be Ifukube, but if they used any of Godzilla's themes in a key place for example, I'd be stoked.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Re: How likely are classic Ifukube themes?

Post by Cybermat47 »

Perhaps now that they're more established, they'll be more likely to take the "risk" of using old music.

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

Yes, hopefully who ever is the composer will use some of the themes at appropriate times in the film. It's like a James Bond movie without the "James Bond Theme" It just makes it feel right. 2014 needed it :-)
Rob

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

If we're going to get practical effects, then there is a fairly good possibility of getting some classic music themes, I think.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

They better be likely, all I'm saying. I'd love to hear the 1991 march theme in theater.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I like to think they might show up in the MonsterVerse at some point, but I'm gonna hold my breath and wait and see as to avoid giving myself unrealistic expectations.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I mean it can't hurt, right? No casual moviegoer is going to hear an Ifukube theme and go 'this movie is bull', they're just going to go 'this is the music currently'. And the kaiju fans will love it.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

I think the march theme with Godzilla making his first appearance/coming to shore would be really cool, with people running in terror just like in the old days. Would also well if Godzilla's knocked out for a while and is revived with an attitude.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Not likely. They should show up though. 2014 has a decent score but it's no Ifukube.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Not likely. They should show up though. 2014 has a decent score but it's no Ifukube.
Not even close.

One barrier I think though is the problem of setting music to scenes. The music does have to gel with the scene, and with the way modern CG-heavy action scenes are shot, I'm not sure they'll be sitting in the editing room and going 'this needs some Godzilla march'. Ifukube music conveys size and scale, but not speed. You need wide, long shots at a regular angle where you see the kaiju in full, plodding along as they bash each other. I don't see these movies ever looking like that. That said I still think it's possible. I'm confident both directors are at least knowledgeable in who Ifukube is.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Just imagine a scene with this playing as the 4 monsters are all travelling around the world to the same place while the military is tracking their movement until they finally meet up and start brutally beating the shit out of each other.

You all know it would be bad-ass.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Re: How likely are classic Ifukube theme

Post by Tyrant28 »

I can see them implementing Godzilla, Mothra, and Ghidorah's leitmotifs into the movie's score. But I doubt they will they use Ifukube's themes themselves.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

BooLugosi wrote:Just imagine a scene with this playing as the 4 monsters are all travelling around the world to the same place while the military is tracking their movement until they finally meet up and start brutally beating the shit out of each other.

You all know it would be bad-ass.
That kind of montage is desperately what I want.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not likely unless Legendary shells out money to license them.

I'd be fine with a single instance of it during a battle, but not throughout the film.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:Not likely unless Legendary shells out money to license them.

I'd be fine with a single instance of it during a battle, but not throughout the film.
That brings up an interesting point, Toho is notoriously stingy with their licenses. They might also have some business interest in keeping their own Godzilla distinct from the American one, and not sharing too many classic elements. Maybe Warner Bros. just won't see it as worth the effort.