What destroyed the USS Lawton?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What destroyed the USS Lawton?

Godzilla
73%
Something Else
27%

Total votes: 70

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: What destroyed the USS Lawton?

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The Vogt-Roberts Kraken, according to an interview.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ebirah_scampi wrote:It was just confirmed in an interview that the director at no point considered it to be Godzilla that attacked the Lawton. He even states he considered doing a cutaway to an unknown monster attacking the ship with a young Randa.
True, but it sounded to me like it was an "open to interpretation" answer. JVR doesn't personally think it's Godzilla, but the studio can easily retcon it or expand on it if they need/want to.

So basically, it's back where we started; we don't know.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

More importantly, in the context of K:SI, it doesn't matter.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Well, we'll probably never know now. To me, it being Godzilla doesn't really make sense since he goes out of his way to AVOID ships as seen in G14.

A brand new kaiju YET to be seen would be my guess.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Cookson wrote:Well, we'll probably never know now. To me, it being Godzilla doesn't really make sense since he goes out of his way to AVOID ships as seen in G14.

But wasn't it confirmed that he sunk the ship that caused the conflict between america and cuba?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Cookson wrote:Well, we'll probably never know now. To me, it being Godzilla doesn't really make sense since he goes out of his way to AVOID ships as seen in G14.

But wasn't it confirmed that he sunk the ship that caused the conflict between america and cuba?
My fellow G-fans, let us pause for a moment here and admire this amazing username.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:

My fellow G-fans, let us pause for a moment here and admire this amazing username.
Let's not derail the topic please. :(

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Cookson wrote:To me, it being Godzilla doesn't really make sense since he goes out of his way to AVOID ships as seen in G14.
Except for the fact it was stated Godzilla was attacking ships left and right when he was awakened?

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Cookson wrote:To me, it being Godzilla doesn't really make sense since he goes out of his way to AVOID ships as seen in G14.
Except for the fact it was stated Godzilla was attacking ships left and right when he was awakened?
Is this from the canon-when-convenient comic?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

vibramrunner wrote:Is this from the canon-when-convenient comic?
Well we do know that Godzilla started the 1898 Spanish-American War by sinking the USS Maine.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=20659

This proves Godzilla isn't as docile as made out to be believed and if he wants to can and will get aggressive.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

vibramrunner wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
It's in the movie, right as Dr. Serizawa and whatsherface were explaining to Ford about Godzilla... How did you miss it?

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
I mean, he wasnt attacking out of spite, it was hunger, like a real animal
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote: Except for the fact it was stated Godzilla was attacking ships left and right when he was awakened?
It's in the movie, right as Dr. Serizawa and whatsherface were explaining to Ford about Godzilla... How did you miss it?

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
I mean, he wasnt attacking out of spite, it was hunger, like a real animal
Well it's been a while since I've watched the whole movie.. I must've just blanked it. I do think that's interesting -- that he may have attacked the ships out of hunger, maybe like a shark taking a bite out of a surfboard. I wonder: at ocean depths far below where human instruments can travel, maybe there's a food chain of kaiju that Godzilla hunts. But all we ever saw the MUTOs eat was radioactive material, which makes me think Godzilla can subsist solely off of that himself. No one ever agrees with me on this though :?

What if they find like four blocks worth of Godzilla poop and decide to study it?? :lol:
Last edited by vibramrunner on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

It also said he was responsible for the destruction of ships in the Operation: Lucky Dragon special feature. I don't know if they will still take that into account though.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Scrapzilla54
Ronin

Post by Scrapzilla54 »

Just as a speculation, maybe we will see it in Godzilla 2 as a flashback. Let's say that there was another survivor that the military and Randa never found their body. After the attack from that large creature, the person wakes up on the shore of some distant island (dubbed Infant island or some other nod to original Toho film). He would've remembered what it was and tell us somehow but we don't know it's just theory of mine. I'd definitely like to think it's something new. I did like the Skull Crawlers and the Mutos from the 2 previous films and I can't believe we're getting 3 of the most popular Toho monsters as well. It could be Godzilla but I don't think he would attack the military because we've seen that he's not purposely going to. If they were in the way, they should've moved.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Scrapzilla54 wrote:It could be Godzilla but I don't think he would attack the military because we've seen that he's not purposely going to. If they were in the way, they should've moved.
Go back and rewatch the film then. I'm astounded that so many people in this fandom seem to forget Godzilla caused nothing but mayhem back in 1954, this knowledge is even spoon fed to us by Dr. Serizawa and Grahm when they're explaining to Ford Brody that Godzilla could potentially resurface.

I think everyone needs to go home, sit down, and pop their copy of G14 in and watch that scene over and over, put subtitles on too if it helps, whatever it takes.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Go back and rewatch the film then. I'm astounded that so many people in this fandom seem to forget Godzilla caused nothing but mayhem back in 1954, this knowledge is even spoon fed to us by Dr. Serizawa and Grahm when they're explaining to Ford Brody that Godzilla could potentially resurface.

I think everyone needs to go home, sit down, and pop their copy of G14 in and watch that scene over and over, put subtitles on too if it helps, whatever it takes.
The only evidence I know of this is that Godzilla started the Spanish-American War in 1898 by sinking the USS Maine (Why Godzilla was in an hallow harbor in the first place no one really knows so perhaps there's more to it then meets the eye). This does show evidence that if Godzilla wants to can and will be aggressive. Other then that though there's really nothing else showing him being aggressive towards humans.

Other then that they probably attempted to kill Godzilla back in 1954 out of fear due to him being you know an gigantic skreeonkin monster without giving the chance he's even a threat, that'd probably be people's first thing in mind upon seeing one.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Go back and rewatch the film then. I'm astounded that so many people in this fandom seem to forget Godzilla caused nothing but mayhem back in 1954, this knowledge is even spoon fed to us by Dr. Serizawa and Grahm when they're explaining to Ford Brody that Godzilla could potentially resurface.

Other then that they probably attempted to kill Godzilla back in 1954 out of fear due to him being you know an gigantic skreeonkin monster without giving the chance he's even a threat, that'd probably be people's first thing in mind upon seeing one.
:eh:
I think you missed the point of my post, friend...

It's stated by characters in the film that after Godzilla was awakened in 1954, he was attacking Russian and US ships left and right. I'm guessing that'd be the reason they tried to bomb him out of existence.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

PitchBlackProgress wrote: :eh:
I think you missed the point of my post, friend...

It's stated by characters in the film that after Godzilla was awakened in 1954, he was attacking Russian and US ships left and right. I'm guessing that'd be the reason they tried to bomb him out of existence.
My bad, its been a while since I seen the movie tbh.

Perhaps those "attacks" on those US and Russian ships could've had something to do with containing radiation whom he and the M.U.T.O.'s feeds off of, just speculation though hence that attack too on the USS Maine in 1898.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

As I said, it seems it'd benefit a lot of people around here if they just sat down, popped their copy in, and paid special attention to the scene where Dr. Serizawa is talking to Ford on the ship after Joe dies.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Scrapzilla54 wrote:It could be Godzilla but I don't think he would attack the military because we've seen that he's not purposely going to. If they were in the way, they should've moved.
Go back and rewatch the film then. I'm astounded that so many people in this fandom seem to forget Godzilla caused nothing but mayhem back in 1954, this knowledge is even spoon fed to us by Dr. Serizawa and Grahm when they're explaining to Ford Brody that Godzilla could potentially resurface.

I think the comic Godzilla:Awakening has done nothing to clear up the idea Godzilla was a destructive monster, 99% of all G2014 fanboys i have seen have stated that G:A is cannon over the actual film, and therefore it was Shinomura, not Godzilla.

of course, G:A doesn't line up with 75% of the film cannon either.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D