Godzilla ² Rumor Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla ² Rumor Thread

Post by BARAGONBREH »

scottzilla wrote:It seems to be pretty common nowadays to post the trailer online right after they show it at Comic Con, and being less than a year away from the release, they would be downright idiotic not to show SOMETHING. The only people who know this movie is still a thing are hardcore Godzilla fans.
Oh, I totally agree it would be idiotic.

Why would you preclude the possibility that the people in charge of this movie will do something idiotic, given the number of idiotic steps they've already made?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
scottzilla wrote:It seems to be pretty common nowadays to post the trailer online right after they show it at Comic Con, and being less than a year away from the release, they would be downright idiotic not to show SOMETHING. The only people who know this movie is still a thing are hardcore Godzilla fans.

Why would you preclude the possibility that the people in charge of this movie will do something idiotic, given the number of idiotic steps they've already made?
I agree there has been some idiocy in the development in this movie, but none of it is on the part of Dougherty as far as can tell. He seems like a genuine fan who is doing his best to make a good movie under questionable management. Let's look at the idiotic steps in development you've mentioned.

1. First mistake, Legendary choosing to wait for Gareth Edwards to finish directing Star Wars. Even if Edwards hadn't left, this still created a longer wait between movies than most franchises have these days, and as we know, he chose to leave after finishing SW, making a year of pointless waiting, and setting the movie back further in a search for a new director. They should have gone to Dougherty as soon as Edwards agreed to do SW.

2. Complete lack of marketing so far.

3. Delaying an already delayed movie with a long wait time AGAIN, for no other reason than to fill an arbitrary release date for another unrelated delayed movie. If they had to do that, they should have delayed Shazam since it's much less far along than Godzilla. but no. got to move forward with their precious DCEU that everyone loves so much.

All of these are on Legendary execs, not on Dougherty, so I'm not sure why you blame him in so man y of your posts.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

So far, Dougherty is actually the only one who's done any public marketing right now anyway.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

JesstrK wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:

I agree there has been some idiocy in the development in this movie, but none of it is on the part of Dougherty as far as can tell. He seems like a genuine fan who is doing his best to make a good movie under questionable management. Let's look at the idiotic steps in development you've mentioned.

1. First mistake, Legendary choosing to wait for Gareth Edwards to finish directing Star Wars. Even if Edwards hadn't left, this still created a longer wait between movies than most franchises have these days, and as we know, he chose to leave after finishing SW, making a year of pointless waiting, and setting the movie back further in a search for a new director. They should have gone to Dougherty as soon as Edwards agreed to do SW.

2. Complete lack of marketing so far.

3. Delaying an already delayed movie with a long wait time AGAIN, for no other reason than to fill an arbitrary release date for another unrelated delayed movie. If they had to do that, they should have delayed Shazam since it's much less far along than Godzilla. but no. got to move forward with their precious DCEU that everyone loves so much.

All of these are on Legendary execs, not on Dougherty, so I'm not sure why you blame him in so man y of your posts.
When did I blame 1 or 2 on Dougherty? I think Legendary has become a joke and WB is so dead set on trying to make the dreadful DC "universe" work that it is harming the development of this (and other) films. I've said as much.

How do you know Dougherty bears no blame for 3? How do you know the film isn't as far along as you think, or at least not as far along as the studio had planned? And wouldn't at least some of that blame go to Dougherty?

It's possible it's totally the studio's fault, I'll grant that. But frankly, the studio is never going to reveal who exactly is to blame. They have investors to satiate, etc., so they give a totally arbitrary reason for the release date change, of course. But given Dougherty's history of taking forever to develop projects (thus the reason I bestowed him with the apt title "Sloppy Dougherty"), isn't it at least plausible that Dougherty didn't suddenly become a great, focused director? That he may be dragging his feet as he has in the past? That the (admittedly crappy) studio isn't to blame for everything?

Put plainly, I don't blame everything on Sloppy Dougherty, but I'm not willing to give him a free pass just because he likes to post pictures of insects and articles about crypto-zoology on his Twitter page all day.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

Going back to some previous things people said about Godzilla bullying...I actually had a bit of a mixture. This one emo goth girl that liked cutting herself used to make fun of me for liking Godzilla, but one kid stood up for me about it. This kid started asking me about Godzilla and I actually got him to watch a couple of the original Toho movies, and he eventually became one of my best friends...until we had a falling out just last month I'm still working on trying to fix :cry:
Last edited by jackzilla on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Im 34 and only recently "came out" to my friends as a Godzilla fan as I have my X Plus collection on display in our house. I get the "you like Godzilla??" and im called a nerd and dork by my friends lol. So the "bullying" never goes away!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

Godzilla21 wrote:Im 34 and only recently "came out" to my friends as a Godzilla fan as I have my X Plus collection on display in our house. I get the "you like Godzilla??" and im called a nerd and dork by my friends lol. So the "bullying" never goes away!
You sure these guys are your friends if their calling you a nerd and a dork? I'd never do that to my own friends.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

jackzilla wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Im 34 and only recently "came out" to my friends as a Godzilla fan as I have my X Plus collection on display in our house. I get the "you like Godzilla??" and im called a nerd and dork by my friends lol. So the "bullying" never goes away!
You sure these guys are your friends if their calling you a nerd and a dork? I'd never do that to my own friends.
Depends on the context, some of my friends and I call each other nerd and or dork. Mostly because we are and as a platonic form of endearment lol
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Ooohkay. I dunno what coming out as a fan and bullying has to do with Godzilla 2 rumors other than nothing.

Please take it to PMs or a relevant topic .