Director for Godzilla vs. King Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who should direct Godzilla vs. King Kong?

Gareth Edwards
31%
Guillermo del Toro
28%
Jordan Vogt-Roberts
13%
Matt Reeves
3%
Michael Dougherty
13%
Other
13%

Total votes: 32

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Director for Godzilla vs. King Kong?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Title shows it all, I figured with a few years away until a director for the film is confirmed. I just figured I'd ask people who'd you vote to direct the movie?

Discuss.

Note: I know Jordan said he left the MonsterVerse but figured I'd throw him in there at the chance he might change his mind.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: Director for Godzilla vs. King Kong?

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Looks like Edwards it is with an astonishing 100%!
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I would honestly have to wait until 2019 to fully decide. Dougherty could either make a really terrible film, or an amazing one. For now I'd either have to say Jordan, or Edwards.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'm not voting in this poll until after I've seen King of the Monsters (even though I'm sure the film will already have a director at that point) or if I happen to watch one of Dougherty's other movies, but as of right now I'd say Gareth Edwards.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Del Toro Would Be A Dream Come True.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vogt-Roberts says he will not direct the sequel to Kong Skull Island, but that does not rule out him doing this movie before parting ways with the franchise.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Gareth Edward's is winning this? So people actually want less Godzilla and Kong... basically tease us the entire film until the 3rd act again?
I actually don't want Edward's back in this franchise, His characters were weak as hell in both G-2014 and Rogue One, and his less is more bull-shit doesn't work with me... So i'd actually be kinda pissed if he was the director.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts wouldn't be bad, he made my favorite Kong film to date an def knows people want monster action.

Michael Dougherty, i love trick R treat and Krampus, but i'll still wait until i see what he does with a major budget an Godzilla 2 before putting him in the directors chair for Godzilla vs Kong.

Guillermo del Toro def wouldn't hate it if he directed it.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

del Toro always makes some visual kino so yeah, can't go wrong with that.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Edwards if he gives Kong and Godzilla another awesome moment like Godzilla's breath attack on the Muto and the Darth Vader hallway scene.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I would be happy with Edwards coming back to direct with Dougherty writing the script. Would be even cooler if Vogt-Roberts came back as a producer. Everything would line up perfectly if all that happened.

That's what I would love to see happen, but they'll most likely go with new blood.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

If King of the Monsters turns out alright I don't see why Dougherty wouldn't do it.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

tbeasley wrote:If King of the Monsters turns out alright I don't see why Dougherty wouldn't do it.
Would literally be going into production when GKOTM is in post production. Don't see him doing it. I can see him as a writer for the film though.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Kongamera
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kongamera »

Matt Reeves probably not gonna happen so I would take Jordan Vogt-Roberts again.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Edwards, with Reeves and Del Torro as a tie for second

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah this will be in heavy pre production while G2 is in post production. I don't see any way Dougherty can go directly to this. Honestly we'll probably get another new blood for this. Both Roberts and Edwards said they aren't coming back and Reeves would be working on The Batman. None if the named directors are viable choices. As much as I'd love Del Toro to do it I just don't see it happening.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

so people may not liek this, but how about colin treverow? he absolutely killed it with JW.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:so people may not liek this, but how about colin treverow? he absolutely killed it with JW.
I'd be fine with Colin. Despite my complaints for it, Jurassic World did what I wanted it to do, which was entertain me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Honestly if Steven DeKnight does good with Uprising I'd think he be a viable, and fairly cheap, choice.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Honestly if Steven DeKnight does good with Uprising I'd think he be a viable, and fairly cheap, choice.
Implying a Pacific Rim movie could be good.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

My pick, it's Del Toro as for Edwards, um how about staying away from this franchise as much as possible (due to his whole fetish for hiding the monsters for a good chunk of the film)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO