Godzilla 2014 is a retelling of "Rikki Tikki Tavi"

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
erod510
Samurai

Godzilla 2014 is a retelling of "Rikki Tikki Tavi"

Post by erod510 »

I know we're right in the middle of the hype for Godzilla:King of the Monster but looking around the web I came across some fan theories regarding the 2014 being based on the Kipling Jungle Book story "Rikki Tikki Tavi"
Here's a blog post of one fan's theory regarding the similarities
https://hildebabble.wordpress.com/2014/ ... pretation/

It actually makes sense
Both Godzilla and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi the mongoose are faced with a mated pair of their natural enemies (the MUTO/the cobras Nag and Nagaina) in which the female is the larger and deadlier of the two.

Both the MUTO and the cobras are a dangerous threat to the humans and are raising a clutch of eggs which threatens to hatch into more of their kind.

Both Godzilla and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi hunt the pair for no moral or noble reason except for the fact that they are their natural enemies (yet by default are the 'heroes' as they are indirect allies of humans).

Both engage the male enemy first in combat, managing to kill him.

In both cases the antagonists' nest of unhatched eggs are destroyed, enraging the much more dangerous female.

The angered female directly threatens to kill a main human character, but is intercepted by Godzilla/Rikki-Tikki-Tavi who arrives in time and manages to kill her as well.

Both Godzilla and Rikki-Tiki-Tavi are honored for their deeds and become 'protectors' of sorts to the humans.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2014 is a retelling of "Rikki Tikki Tavi"

Post by Ivo-goji »

It's not a coincidence, because Godzilla and the MUTOs are indeed intended to be natural enemies, and the way the plot unfolds is dictated by that central concept. But its probably not intensional; rather, any story that attempted to use animals as characters behaving in a realistic way would follow a similar pattern.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Interesting. The similarities are definitely striking. Of course, as always with these things, you never know if it's intentional, coincidental, or if the artist was exposed to the earlier material and unconsciously imitated it. Cool nonetheless!
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Well from here on out I think the male and female should be nicknamed Nag and Nagaina due to the similarities in the stories.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

miguelnuva wrote:Well from here on out I think the male and female should be nicknamed Nag and Nagaina due to the similarities in the stories.
I like it, they need real names if they're going to keep calling every new critter a muto. Although I'd prefer if they just retired the term and let the..err...Mutos keep it for themselves.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Whoah, if this turns out to be intentional, then Godzilla 2014 will have technically been a reboot of not one, but TWO artifacts from my earliest childhood, as I nearly wore out my tape of the Chuck Jones Rikki Tikki Tavi cartoon I liked it so much. I can really get behind this idea.
Monsters are the real people.