Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:The difference with Kong was that he's an recognizable cinematic icon (That also had crossover with Godzilla nearly sixty years ago may I remind you due to Toho honoring the character for being one of their creators inspirations) who began the giant monster genre and one of the inspirations for Godzilla whereas Gamera's from an almost dead franchise only barely alive because of the kaiju fandom. I admit though if anyone can revive Gamera, its definitely Legendary by getting the rights from his owners but as you said though 'unlikely but not impossible'. There's a small chance it might happen but I really wouldn't hold my breath.
People bring up that no one knows who Gamera is. Well, people didn't know who the Guardians of the Galaxy were but still looked into it. Where am I going with this?

1. An obscure franchise is a new IP as far as the GA knows, so give them a reboot film to establish who Gamera is to them I.E. don't make their first exposer to him a sequel. Less baggage to carry.

2. Introduce him late in the game. Now would be risky but later on when kaiju movies have really picked up steam and become mainstream enough, you can take a risk on a Gamera movie, much how Marvel took a risk with Guardians long, long after their movies became mainstream.

3. Toho. Honestly, I see this as the real roadblock, even if they are cool with a Gamera vs Godzilla movie, that might be something they themselves wanna do to top Legendary's Godzilla vs Kong, and not want Legendary to have him. We've seen evidence hinting that Godzilla and Gamera are gonna be in an upcoming game together.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

People seem to expect Legendary to throw any giant monster/tokusatsu brand under the MonsterVerse and I think that misses the point of Toho's intentions. They've been attempting simultaneous Japanese and American productions since at least the 80s (Godzilla, King of the Monsters in 3D), tried another King Kong vs. Godzilla in the 90s (Kong's rights were expensive/tied up - they couldn't even use Mechani-Kong), so as things stand I'm pretty sure Toho/Legendary is happy with just Kong, Godzilla and a handful of other Toho kaiju.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

True. I think Godzilla/Gamera crossover is more likely in Japan versus in the MonsterVerse, since the character is much more well known in Japan. Even then it's probably a slim chance. LP might as well just create a new Giant Turtle Monster, because the name Gamera isn't going to create more buzz. In Japan, it might actually be worth the risk... and with Toho making a crap ton of money right now, it could possibly be a viable crossover that won't hurt them.

We've seen how well the "Godzilla X Evangelion" collaboration went. They're still producing products for it. I think doing something with Gamera definitely isn't impossible if Toho can do something with Evangelion. Producing a movie would help that campaign more. Just in Japan..
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Thing is, even in Japan Gamera is a niche property compared to Godzilla. Yeah they're both giant monsters but Kadokawa can't even get a domestic Gamera film financed... that proof of concept footage we saw for a proposed reboot was meant to drum up interest and it didn't go anywhere.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

tbeasley wrote:Thing is, even in Japan Gamera is a niche property compared to Godzilla. Yeah they're both giant monsters but Kadokawa can't even get a domestic Gamera film financed... that proof of concept footage we saw for a proposed reboot was meant to drum up interest and it didn't go anywhere.
This is true too. Doing anything with Gamera at this point would be 100% fan service.... Unfortunately.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:People bring up that no one knows who Gamera is. Well, people didn't know who the Guardians of the Galaxy were but still looked into it. Where am I going with this?

1. An obscure franchise is a new IP as far as the GA knows, so give them a reboot film to establish who Gamera is to them I.E. don't make their first exposer to him a sequel. Less baggage to carry.

2. Introduce him late in the game. Now would be risky but later on when kaiju movies have really picked up steam and become mainstream enough, you can take a risk on a Gamera movie, much how Marvel took a risk with Guardians long, long after their movies became mainstream.

3. Toho. Honestly, I see this as the real roadblock, even if they are cool with a Gamera vs Godzilla movie, that might be something they themselves wanna do to top Legendary's Godzilla vs Kong, and not want Legendary to have him. We've seen evidence hinting that Godzilla and Gamera are gonna be in an upcoming game together.
All good points. Guardians of the Galaxy for some reason keeps slipping my mind for some reason when it comes to this... :lol:

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

If Godzilla 2014 can be a force of nature, why can't Mothra or Gamera? What they could do is make Gamera a neutral adversary/friend. Mothra has this same basic aspect behind her. I don't know that a singular Legendary Gamera movie would be able to made sensibly but as part of an ensemble cast of kaiju, I would most certainly welcome the chance to see such a battle.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Who knows?

Mirjahangir: Outside of Godzilla, is there another Toho monster you're a fan of?

Tull: Oh yeah! I mean, I'm a huge fan of Rodan, I love King Ghidorah-probably my favorite. You know…even Gamera. But probably King Ghidorah's my favorite.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/t ... -2014.html
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I doubt there will be any chance of him appearing in the Monsterverse. It's one thing with Kong, who is a recognized and respected cinematic icon around the world like 1990's stated. However, compared to other famous kaiju like Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan, he is obscure outside of the kaiju fanbase and MST3K. The best chance of him even getting a film was the " 2016 Comic-Con Trailer ", and that was just a short, not a trailer. At least Toho is still active and running, Daiei studios is mostly dead.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

ZinK wrote:Nope, would never happen.
Gamera's a joke to the US because of MST3K.
Actually, Gamera's a joke to the US because it's a joke. I enjoy the movies because I love cheesy films, but it would not fit into Legendary's vision. Plus Toho would never approve.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Chris55 wrote:Who knows?

Mirjahangir: Outside of Godzilla, is there another Toho monster you're a fan of?

Tull: Oh yeah! I mean, I'm a huge fan of Rodan, I love King Ghidorah-probably my favorite. You know…even Gamera. But probably King Ghidorah's my favorite.

That would be compelling evidence for them to at least think of a Gamera if it wasn't concerning the fact that Tull left LP.
Long Live The King

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Hokmuto wrote:

That would be compelling evidence for them to at least think of a Gamera if it wasn't concerning the fact that Tull left LP.
Thomas Tull is still in charge of the MonsterVerse.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Hokmuto wrote:

That would be compelling evidence for them to at least think of a Gamera movie if it wasn't concerning the fact that Tull left LP. Actually, is he still associated and works on the Monsterverse? I could probably find out easily, but I am a pretty lazy person.

Added in 46 seconds:
Oh, I guess someone answered my question. Thanks Fropston!
Long Live The King

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Think of it like this

Godzilla Kong and Gamera can be monsterverses trinity

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: All good points. Guardians of the Galaxy for some reason keeps slipping my mind for some reason when it comes to this... :lol:
I don't know why people keep saying he's too obscure as if that means anything. A reboot to an obscure franchise is a new IP as far as the GA knows.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: All good points. Guardians of the Galaxy for some reason keeps slipping my mind for some reason when it comes to this... :lol:
I don't know why people keep saying he's too obscure as if that means anything. A reboot to an obscure franchise is a new IP as far as the GA knows.
The Monsterverse isn't McMarvel; it's doing very well thus far but it hasn't built up enough reputation for a studio to take a risk on something like, say, a rocket powered giant turtle.

It isn't going to happen. Not anytime soon and probably never. It joins Gargantuas, Frankenstein and Kong doubling in size before GvK on the list of fan wishes that aren't coming true.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

BARAGONBREH wrote:but it hasn't built up enough reputation for a studio to take a risk on something like, say, a rocket powered giant turtle.
You could say the same for a gun-wielding foul-mouthed talking raccoon no which is arguably just as silly and look how that turned out?

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:but it hasn't built up enough reputation for a studio to take a risk on something like, say, a rocket powered giant turtle.
You could say the same for a gun-wielding foul-mouthed talking raccoon no which is arguably just as silly and look how that turned out?
Why did you ignore the vital first part of the sentence? My clear and concise point was that Guardians of the Galaxy was done after years and years of anything carrying the McMarvel logo kicking ass at the box office. Monsterverse has only released two movies. Those two films have done very well at the box office, but nevertheless Monsterverse hasn't built up nearly enough reputation for a profit-driven corporation to take that big of a risk yet. And most likely never will.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

BARAGONBREH wrote:Why did you ignore the vital first part of the sentence? My clear and concise point was that Guardians of the Galaxy was done after years and years of anything carrying the McMarvel logo kicking ass at the box office. Monsterverse has only released two movies. Those two films have done very well at the box office, but nevertheless Monsterverse hasn't built up nearly enough reputation for a profit-driven corporation to take that big of a risk yet. And most likely never will.
Since its currently at over a billion dollars in total. I'd say that's a good sign its going good. If the next two ends up making just as much which would put it at over 2 billion. It'll prove to be a much bigger success then. One movie failing wouldn't end a verse. I mean look at 2008's Hulk, despite its poor performance, the MCU managed to survive and that was only the second of their movies after Iron Man.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Why did you ignore the vital first part of the sentence? My clear and concise point was that Guardians of the Galaxy was done after years and years of anything carrying the McMarvel logo kicking ass at the box office. Monsterverse has only released two movies. Those two films have done very well at the box office, but nevertheless Monsterverse hasn't built up nearly enough reputation for a profit-driven corporation to take that big of a risk yet. And most likely never will.
Since its currently at over a billion dollars in total. I'd say that's a good sign its going good. If the next two ends up making just as much which would put it at over 2 billion. It'll prove to be a much bigger success then. One movie failing wouldn't end a verse. I mean look at 2008's Hulk, despite its poor performance, the MCU managed to survive and that was only the second of their movies after Iron Man.
Yes, if after dozens of films the Monsterverse is still raking in the cash, they may take a risk, and it may not necessarily kill the franchise at that point if it fails.