Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by Stump Feet »

I wouldn't go as far to say the MonsterVerse will definitely end after GvK. Even if WB loses the rights to Godzilla, they'll be able to keep Kong's a lot easier, so there's that.

But acting like Gamera would bring in the GA though is just plain silly and makes some of you sound a tad out of touch with reality. I like Gamera too, don't get me wrong, but America just isn't going to take a risk with someone as no name as him and if Toho's biggest mon-stars couldn't bring in audiences, why would Gamera?

There WILL be another Gamera movie one day, it just won't come from over here.

I think this thread should be locked.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Stump Feet wrote:I wouldn't go as far to say the MonsterVerse will definitely end after GvK. Even if WB loses the rights to Godzilla, they'll be able to keep Kong's a lot easier, so there's that.

Acting like Gamera would bring in the GA though is just plain silly and makes some of you sound a tad out of touch with reality. I like Gamera too, don't get me wrong, but America just isn't going to take a risk with someone as no name as him.

Who said he would bring in the GA by name? A lot of people don't know Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah and still saw KOTM. The movie just needs to sell it's premise well enough to gain interest.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

By that logic, why not just use an original monster?

It's not worth the risk, time, effort, or money.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

A lot of people DIDNT see GKOTM.

They couldn’t sell it on premise. They couldn’t sell it with fan favorite characters.

So why invest additional dollars on the rights to more characters when it’s just going to make it that much harder to break even??? That’s a HORRIBLE business decision. There’s literally no benefit to bringing in Gamera. Fans are going to see whether he’s in it or not and the GA won’t care.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Eh, i don't think this thread is worth locking yet. Again we can't ever truly be sure he WON'T make it it's just unlikely he will,they can easily pull something from under our noses. But if we get official confirmation that Gamera will NEVER EVER show up,then yes,lock the dang thread.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

king_ghidorah wrote:A lot of people DIDNT see GKOTM.

They couldn’t sell it on premise. They couldn’t sell it with fan favorite characters.

So why invest additional dollars on the rights to more characters when it’s just going to make it that much harder to break even??? That’s a HORRIBLE business decision. There’s literally no benefit to bringing in Gamera. Fans are going to see whether he’s in it or not and the GA won’t care.
And a lot did.

KOTM didn't bomb, it underperformed. I hate this mentality that if a movie doesn't make 400 million it's a failure.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It performed less than Rampage....

Than Pacific Rim which has zero additional rights that need to be purchased.

It’s the lowest performer of the MV franchise by over 200k.

So if you don’t want to use the word bomb fine. But underperform doesn’t really cut it either. It wasn’t bad enough to qualify as a bomb but underperforming sounding like it just barely missed its mark which isn’t accurate at all.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

king_ghidorah wrote:It performed less than Rampage....

So if you don’t want to use the word bomb fine. But underperform doesn’t really cut it either. It wasn’t bad enough to qualify as a bomb but underperforming sounding like it just barely missed its mark which isn’t accurate at all.
would underperform greatly cut it better?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

king_ghidorah wrote:There’s literally no benefit to bringing in Gamera. Fans are going to see whether he’s in it or not and the GA won’t care.
This is the point I keep trying to make. It's pointless other than to be fan servicey.

I understand the want for Gamera, but tossing around the idea is just ludicrous at this point.

You've got a better chance at a PR crossover than Gamera :lol:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

king_ghidorah wrote:It performed less than Rampage....

And? It still wasn't a bomb.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Getting Gamera in the MV would be for hardcore fans. Godzilla would bring in the GA and Gamera is throwing us fans who have supported the franchise.

Kotm stalled a lot of plans likely but when you get mega franchise that allow you to please the GA you also do things to reward the fans who have been their for the start.

Far from home just did this for hardcore fans for example.

If Godzilla vs Kong rights the ship and Legendary re ups I wouldn't say Gamera is impossible.

Added in 57 seconds:
Stump Feet wrote:I wouldn't go as far to say the MonsterVerse will definitely end after GvK. Even if WB loses the rights to Godzilla, they'll be able to keep Kong's a lot easier, so there's that.

But acting like Gamera would bring in the GA though is just plain silly and makes some of you sound a tad out of touch with reality. I like Gamera too, don't get me wrong, but America just isn't going to take a risk with someone as no name as him and if Toho's biggest mon-stars couldn't bring in audiences, why would Gamera?

Or you could just not post in it, if your done with the thread.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:Also. Why are we pretending the MV is going to continue after 2020??
Because people normally look towards the future, not dwell in the past.
Can you send the winning lottery numbers from the future as well.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Sure. Reward your fans by spending xxx amount on securing extra rights to something they are going to see anyways.

Are movie companies suddenly operating as non profits? Did I miss that memo and that’s why some of you are under the assumption that they’re operating in a way where just breaking even is good enough.

There’s optimistic and then there’s this thread which is completely detached from reality.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

king_ghidorah wrote:Sure. Reward your fans by spending xxx amount on securing extra rights to something they are going to see anyway.

There’s optimistic and then there’s this thread which is completely detached from reality.
The arguments in favor of Gamera keep getting flimsier and flimsier with every poor rebuttal.
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Stump Feet wrote:Remember when the live action Akira was used as a justification for an American Gamera reboot? I know I do. How’s that example workin’ for yah now. :lol:
What the fudge does Akira have to do with Gamera? Two aren't even remotely similar...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

That is mystifying and I don’t feel like scrolling back through the thread only to read something that will make me lose more faith in humanity

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

king_ghidorah wrote:That is mystifying and I don’t feel like scrolling back through the thread only to read something that will make me lose more faith in humanity
how do you lose faith in people hoping something will happen? it may get a bit delusional at times but i fail how someone loses faith in something silly as this.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

king_ghidorah wrote:If there was nearly zero name recognition for KG and Rodan with the GA then Gamera wouldn’t fare much better.

Why would Legendary want to buy the rights for another monster that’s not going to bring in a bigger audience???

Gamera can’t even get his own movie financed. Remember the comic con pilot film a few years back that was supposed to attract investors? Fans ate it up but that film landed with a zero impact elsewhere.

There’s no business case for bringing Gamera in. It’s terry black and white.

Also. Why are we pretending the MV is going to continue after 2020??
I agree that Gamera's not going to bring any more people into the theater than Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah did. But that's why you make it a solo Gamera film instead of having him in a Godzilla film. At least then you can do Rampage numbers for him alone.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Because there’s zero evidence that the powers that be want this to happen. In fact. Toho has shot this down in recent history.

Kadakowa can’t secure enough money to even make a solo Gamera film which isn’t very attractive for anyone wanting to rent or purchase the rights.

Then you have the fact that the MV franchise is performing drastically below expectations.

So from both perspectives it’s unlikely at best. Yet we have 13 pages or whatever here of people saying otherwise.

It’s fine to HOPE. It’s fine to WANT Gamera to fight Godzilla in a movie. But it’s questionable to think or argue that it’s going to happen, especially in the American franchise.

That’s what I have a problem with. It’s then sheer denial of facts and business practices here.

I’m not coming at this from the perspective of a hater. I LOVE Gamera. I want more Gamera films. I love the Monsterverse films...flawed as they are.

But I’m also going to be realistic with my expectations and not get defensive if someone actually cites box office figures and historical context.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Vakanai wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Remember when the live action Akira was used as a justification for an American Gamera reboot? I know I do. How’s that example workin’ for yah now. :lol:
What the fudge does Akira have to do with Gamera? Two aren't even remotely similar...
Ask _JNavs_ he’s the one who brought it up pages ago.
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

True Rodan and Mothra couldn't bring in more people on their own, since most people have no clue who they are - however that only matters in a Godzilla movie. People already know if they're going to see Godzilla or not, he and Kong are the only monsters the GA recognize, and who they're fighting just doesn't matter (unless their fighting each other). But you don't need name recognition for a solo/stand-alone film, Pacific Rim, Rampage, and The Meg have all proved that. Gamera on his own can do what those three did, in a movie with either Godzilla or Kong he adds nothing because only Kong and Godzilla matter in those films monster-wise.