MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Justiriser
Posts: 15743
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:31 am

JGAR wrote:So did the right renew with Toho ? Or was “Legendary can only make Godzilla films up until 2020” just a myth ?


Like Terasawa said, the contract was probably always meant for six years (2014-2020) but because of the current circumstances, they likely negotiated for a 2021 release without actually extending the terms of the contract.
Image

User avatar
JesstrK
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby JesstrK » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:40 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
JGAR wrote:So did the right renew with Toho ? Or was “Legendary can only make Godzilla films up until 2020” just a myth ?


Like Terasawa said, the contract was probably always meant for six years (2014-2020) but because of the current circumstances, they likely negotiated for a 2021 release without actually extending the terms of the contract.

I remember hearing that the contract only stipulated that the movie had to begin production by 2020, not necessarily be released by then?

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Justiriser
Posts: 15743
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:56 am

JesstrK wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
JGAR wrote:So did the right renew with Toho ? Or was “Legendary can only make Godzilla films up until 2020” just a myth ?


Like Terasawa said, the contract was probably always meant for six years (2014-2020) but because of the current circumstances, they likely negotiated for a 2021 release without actually extending the terms of the contract.

I remember hearing that the contract only stipulated that the movie had to begin production by 2020, not necessarily be released by then?


There's so much misinformation, poor translation, hearsay, etc. about the supposed contract that it's difficult to figure out what exactly the terms are.

All we know is this, which comes from Shinji Higuchi's G-FEST 2017 panel:

- Toho cannot make a live-action film until after 2020.
- Toho cannot release live-action movies the same year as Legendary.

For Shin, KOTM was originally supposed to come out in 2017, but was pushed back two years allowing Shin to come out when it did. If KOTM was pushed back earlier than it was, Higuchi would've still been working on Shin at the time of the panel (2017, meaning the film would likely have come out late 2017 or 2018). There's no information on the specifics of the contract but it's best to assume "make a live-action film" specifically means they are unable to start any actual production until after GVK is released.

Sources: https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3447 ... made-2020/ https://klen7.tumblr.com/post/163117345 ... ge-day-2-3
Image

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 13394
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby miguelnuva » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Usually a contract like what Legendary and Toho have would be you can make x amount of films by this date. 3 Godzilla films had to be in production bu the end of 2020. Legendary would then have a certain amount of time to release them.

They couldn't star production on a new Godzilla film post 2020 but Godzilla vs Kong could release in 2021 under their deal.

Their should be a limit on when even GvsK can come out however as they can't hold up Toho forever with no new deal in place.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Moogabunga » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:50 pm

I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary

User avatar
XxComablack1937xX
Futurian
Posts: 3423
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:15 pm

Under the circumstances I am sure Toho is fine, there in no hurry to rush out another Godzilla film especially when Legendary is doing the work and there reaping in the profits. Plus last I heard anyway Toho is happy with how Legendary is handling there characters and I am sure they are hoping this film can exceed expectations and Legendary will renew there contract.

Toho want's to expand Godzilla not just keep it mostly in the Japanese market anymore, if Legendary passes on the property they will shop around for another American Studio while they release another film or two. Hence Toho investing over in the U.S. studio's.

I could be entirely wrong but that's just my two cents.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken - Oscar Wilde

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe

I wanted to be where nobody I knew could ever come. ― Sylvia Plath

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough. - William Blake

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4302
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Terasawa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:21 pm

Moogabunga wrote:I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary


All the details? You're right: no one here is privy to the full terms. But UG posted what little we know for fact.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Image

User avatar
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2028
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Moogabunga » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary


All the details? You're right: no one here is privy to the full terms. But UG posted what little we know for fact.

I mean, not really. You're talking about a director, not an executive. What makes you 100% sure he wasn't mistaken? Another possibility, less likely sure, but what he actually said what mistranslated.

When you have Toho executives saying things like the ones posted below, it makes it hard to believe they have this definitive 2020 (now 2021) deadline in mind.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 1655070721

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4302
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Terasawa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Moogabunga wrote:What makes you 100% sure he wasn't mistaken? Another possibility, less likely sure, but what he actually said what mistranslated.


What makes you so sure he was mistaken? I get your point though, and certainly the fact that we can't immediately verify the translation is something I hadn't considered.

In this case though we should probably assume that what we know from that panel is correct, until we hear otherwise. My 2 cents.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Image

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 13394
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby miguelnuva » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Moogabunga wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary


All the details? You're right: no one here is privy to the full terms. But UG posted what little we know for fact.

I mean, not really. You're talking about a director, not an executive. What makes you 100% sure he wasn't mistaken? Another possibility, less likely sure, but what he actually said what mistranslated.

When you have Toho executives saying things like the ones posted below, it makes it hard to believe they have this definitive 2020 (now 2021) deadline in mind.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 1655070721


That tells me the the contract has been extended already. No one here likely knows what is in Legendary and Toho's deal as you said, I'm merely going off their past licensing contracts and other similar scenarios to make ab informative guess.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
JGAR
Futurian
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Gotham City, Gotham

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby JGAR » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Based on a financial point of view, Toho has more to gain from producing Hollywood Godzilla films than on their own in Japan. They want Godzilla to go worldwide? Hollywood is the way no matter how they spin it unless they do some epic anime .
Yooo 8-)

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12257
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Delete wrong topic.
Last edited by Living Corpse on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
JGAR
Futurian
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Gotham City, Gotham

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby JGAR » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:27 am

Now that Godzilla vs. Kong is a 2021 movie,

If it’s successful, I could see Godzilla 3 (War of the Monsters for the subtitle) being done for 2024 to celebrate the franchise’s 70th anniversary and 10 years since Godzilla 2014.
Yooo 8-)

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12257
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:04 am

JGAR wrote:Now that Godzilla vs. Kong is a 2021 movie,

If it’s successful, I could see Godzilla 3 (War of the Monsters for the subtitle) being done for 2024 to celebrate the franchise’s 70th anniversary and 10 years since Godzilla 2014.


Sure, but we gotta get Gamera a Hollywood movie first.
Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests