MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
UltramanGoji

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by UltramanGoji »

JGAR wrote:So did the right renew with Toho ? Or was “Legendary can only make Godzilla films up until 2020” just a myth ?
Like Terasawa said, the contract was probably always meant for six years (2014-2020) but because of the current circumstances, they likely negotiated for a 2021 release without actually extending the terms of the contract.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

UltramanGoji wrote:
JGAR wrote:So did the right renew with Toho ? Or was “Legendary can only make Godzilla films up until 2020” just a myth ?
Like Terasawa said, the contract was probably always meant for six years (2014-2020) but because of the current circumstances, they likely negotiated for a 2021 release without actually extending the terms of the contract.
I remember hearing that the contract only stipulated that the movie had to begin production by 2020, not necessarily be released by then?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

JesstrK wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I remember hearing that the contract only stipulated that the movie had to begin production by 2020, not necessarily be released by then?
There's so much misinformation, poor translation, hearsay, etc. about the supposed contract that it's difficult to figure out what exactly the terms are.

All we know is this, which comes from Shinji Higuchi's G-FEST 2017 panel:

- Toho cannot make a live-action film until after 2020.
- Toho cannot release live-action movies the same year as Legendary.

For Shin, KOTM was originally supposed to come out in 2017, but was pushed back two years allowing Shin to come out when it did. If KOTM was pushed back earlier than it was, Higuchi would've still been working on Shin at the time of the panel (2017, meaning the film would likely have come out late 2017 or 2018). There's no information on the specifics of the contract but it's best to assume "make a live-action film" specifically means they are unable to start any actual production until after GVK is released.

Sources: https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3447 ... made-2020/ https://klen7.tumblr.com/post/163117345 ... ge-day-2-3

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Usually a contract like what Legendary and Toho have would be you can make x amount of films by this date. 3 Godzilla films had to be in production bu the end of 2020. Legendary would then have a certain amount of time to release them.

They couldn't star production on a new Godzilla film post 2020 but Godzilla vs Kong could release in 2021 under their deal.

Their should be a limit on when even GvsK can come out however as they can't hold up Toho forever with no new deal in place.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Under the circumstances I am sure Toho is fine, there in no hurry to rush out another Godzilla film especially when Legendary is doing the work and there reaping in the profits. Plus last I heard anyway Toho is happy with how Legendary is handling there characters and I am sure they are hoping this film can exceed expectations and Legendary will renew there contract.

Toho want's to expand Godzilla not just keep it mostly in the Japanese market anymore, if Legendary passes on the property they will shop around for another American Studio while they release another film or two. Hence Toho investing over in the U.S. studio's.

I could be entirely wrong but that's just my two cents.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Moogabunga wrote:I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary
All the details? You're right: no one here is privy to the full terms. But UG posted what little we know for fact.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Terasawa wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:I'll just stick to reality and that would be not a single person on this forum knows what the contract details are between Toho and Legendary
All the details? You're right: no one here is privy to the full terms. But UG posted what little we know for fact.
I mean, not really. You're talking about a director, not an executive. What makes you 100% sure he wasn't mistaken? Another possibility, less likely sure, but what he actually said what mistranslated.

When you have Toho executives saying things like the ones posted below, it makes it hard to believe they have this definitive 2020 (now 2021) deadline in mind.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 1655070721

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Moogabunga wrote:What makes you 100% sure he wasn't mistaken? Another possibility, less likely sure, but what he actually said what mistranslated.
What makes you so sure he was mistaken? I get your point though, and certainly the fact that we can't immediately verify the translation is something I hadn't considered.

In this case though we should probably assume that what we know from that panel is correct, until we hear otherwise. My 2 cents.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Moogabunga wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
I mean, not really. You're talking about a director, not an executive. What makes you 100% sure he wasn't mistaken? Another possibility, less likely sure, but what he actually said what mistranslated.

When you have Toho executives saying things like the ones posted below, it makes it hard to believe they have this definitive 2020 (now 2021) deadline in mind.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 1655070721
That tells me the the contract has been extended already. No one here likely knows what is in Legendary and Toho's deal as you said, I'm merely going off their past licensing contracts and other similar scenarios to make ab informative guess.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Based on a financial point of view, Toho has more to gain from producing Hollywood Godzilla films than on their own in Japan. They want Godzilla to go worldwide? Hollywood is the way no matter how they spin it unless they do some epic anime .
Yooo 8-)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Delete wrong topic.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Now that Godzilla vs. Kong is a 2021 movie,

If it’s successful, I could see Godzilla 3 (War of the Monsters for the subtitle) being done for 2024 to celebrate the franchise’s 70th anniversary and 10 years since Godzilla 2014.
Yooo 8-)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JGAR wrote:Now that Godzilla vs. Kong is a 2021 movie,

If it’s successful, I could see Godzilla 3 (War of the Monsters for the subtitle) being done for 2024 to celebrate the franchise’s 70th anniversary and 10 years since Godzilla 2014.
Sure, but we gotta get Gamera a Hollywood movie first.